PDA

View Full Version : Door install

dmday316
08-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Anyone install door and hinges on tri five? On 56 2 door, can you describe procedure for correct hinge alignment and door install? Any help or a push in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

BamaNomad
08-03-2019, 03:07 PM
If there's a special tool, I'm not aware of one, but I do know it can be a painstaking procedure if both the hinges and the doors were removed (separated). Many people drill a 1/8" alignment hole thru the hinge/body/door before disassembly to facilitate reassembly. I didn't do that and reinstalling my Nomad doors on my '57 took me awhile to achieve alignment.

Rick_L
08-03-2019, 05:11 PM
An attachment for your floor jack to support and tilt the door is very useful.

BamaNomad
08-03-2019, 07:31 PM
An extra person to HELP is also very useful... :)

chevynut
08-03-2019, 08:26 PM
I've done it by first installing the two hinges using the hex screws inside the cowl and snugging them up, but not tight. Then you slide the door over the hinges and install the screws snug again. Slowly close the door and tweak the door up, down in or out until it fits the opening pretty good. Then carefully open the door and tighten the hinges some more. Close again and see what needs to be moved. Once you decide which way the door needs to move, loosen the appropriate bolts, move the door, and tighten again. Check fit. Keep doing this until it fits the way you want it to. Sometimes it's a compromise.