PDA

View Full Version : Power Pack car

slantflat
10-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone.

Here's a newbie question. I didn't have a lot of luck with the search.

What is a Powerpack car? I assume it has something to do with the engine. Sounds like a sports model. How do I know if my car has it/is it? It's a 4 door so I'm guessing it wouldn't have anything special on it, though it is a 283.

The number on the boss is F409F. Someone swapped out the intake and carb so I have no idea what was original. Does it affect other parts of the car? Huge learning curve here. I usually mess with Corvairs and Valiants:-o

Thanks everyone.

Mike

chevynut
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM
My understanding is that the Power Pack engine was a 283 with different heads and 4-barrel carb, plus dual exhaust. The heads had a triangle on them.

567chevys
10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
The base two barrel heads just had the rectangle on the ends while the 4 barrel (power pack) heads had the triangle on top of the rectangle. A bit better breathing and bigger valves than the two barrel heads.

Sid

markm
10-08-2019, 12:58 PM
The base two barrel heads just had the rectangle on the ends while the 4 barrel (power pack) heads had the triangle on top of the rectangle. A bit better breathing and bigger valves than the two barrel heads.

Sid

Powerpack heads shared same 1.72/1.5 valves as 2 barrel, they had better ports and smaller combustion chambers for higher compression. I believe the cam may have been higher lift in early years too.

BamaNomad
10-08-2019, 07:16 PM
If your engine was stamped 'F409F' then it came from the factory with std heads (NON power pak), 2-bbl intake/carb and a PG transmission. Is your car a '57 ??

PS. The more information (with photos?) that you provide with your questions, the better your answers/responses will be... I don't think we have any omniscient folks on this board... :)

markm
10-09-2019, 06:25 AM
An original PP car will have brake and fuel lines ran down the outside of pass side frame rail. Inside on 6 bangers and two barrel non PP.

slantflat
10-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes the car is a 57. It didn't occur to me that this wasn't obvious:grin: I need to come up with a signature that says it all the time.

Odd about the fuel line and brake lines. Mine are indeed on the inside. I've also got dual exhaust but it probably wasn't originally so.

I really appreciate all this.