PDA

View Full Version : Door Weatherstrip: Glue in?

hevychevy
11-17-2019, 07:59 AM
1030010300The exterior of my 57 Bel 4 door sedan is finished. When builder attached door weatherstrip, he did not glue it in, simply pushed pins in. After polishing, I took the car through the wash, and doors leaked. Could this be because weatherstrips were not glued, or should I adjust latch so doors close tight. I'm thinking I could pop the strips of using door clip removal tool and used adhesive. Any help? Have attached pic of the final product.

Rick_L
11-17-2019, 09:20 AM
You need to use adhesive. Use the black 3M super weatherstrip adhesive.

Also be sure to install the J-seals (they go on the A pillar door jamb just below the windshield). Gel type super glue is the best adhesive for them.

hevychevy
11-18-2019, 05:06 AM
Thanks Rick

Rick_L
11-18-2019, 06:08 AM
I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote about the J seals. They go in the area I described but on the door shell, not the door jamb.

BamaNomad
11-18-2019, 06:54 AM
I was curious about your suggestion to use gel super glue for the J strips (I read right over your 'door jamb' comment... :)..

I've always used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to apply the J strip also. What is the advantage of the super glue??

Rick_L
11-18-2019, 10:06 AM
The super glue gel is stronger.

BamaNomad
11-19-2019, 06:52 AM
The super glue gel is stronger.

Thanks Rick. I'll give that a shot on my current Nomad. I've seen the J-strips loose and hanging on cars many times; maybe because the door to jamb was too tight? or maybe because they weren't installed adequately, and it's difficult to install them on assembled cars. My doors are installed and I've yet to do the weatherstrips, but I will do so before I re-install the fenders which should make it a bit easier.