PDA

View Full Version : 55 battery mount for ac car

Gregory
12-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Looking at factory assembly book and see a factory ac car has the battery mounted off the radiator
support. I would like to move my battery off the firewall but don’t want to go to the trunk, does any body make this battery mounting support 3710339 and brace 3714600 .

BamaNomad
12-13-2019, 06:06 AM
Gregory,

I'm fairly certain that the factory '55 AC battery support is NOT reproduced (the low numbers just don't justify it)...

If you're building a custom car and just want to move the battery off the firewall, then there's the '57 battery support that mounts up front, although it would require modification to work on a '55. Most people who want to relocate their battery from the firewall move it to the trunk or rear quarter area.

MP&C
12-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Keep your eyes peeled on ebay, etc. They do pop up on occasion. If you'd like to make your own, this thread should point you in the right direction.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/3159-Fabricating-battery-brackets

The downside to using this mount/brackets is, as discussed above, limited use and limited market means you will likely never see them in the quantity needed to drive the cheap reproduction that you see with the regular firewall tray. A 1957 tray moves to that location, so it may be an easier venture than trying the 55 original AC style.

Mikey Domoracki and I were going to do a limited run of the 55 version in reproduction form, and with everyone used to paying offshore prices for all their parts, the atmosphere seemed to be that they wanted to buy this kit for pennies on the dollar. My shop is time and materials, and I'm quite sure that Mikey's is the same. So when the price was going to be in the hundreds range, those accustomed to offshore products bawked, and needless to say we only made about 4 sets, with no plans for more in the future. I would make a set for Mikey if he wanted, I won't be making any more otherwise.. Mikey did find a complete set on ebay a few months afterward that was chrome plated (came off an old show car) and they were virtually flawless. So they are still out there..

Gregory
12-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the great advice and pictures guys. This has helped a lot , I’m going to order a 57 battery tray and try to make it fit my 55. I don’t have a lot of tools so building it from scratch is out of the question.

Aussienomad
12-16-2019, 02:53 PM
When I converted my '56 to RHD I moved the battery tray off the firewall and mounted it up front on the right side - I later found out that that is the area where AC cars were mounted. I modified an original and later used a larger tray off a Nissan 4WD. A while back I got rid of the big battery and swapped to a small Full River battery. It's possible that with a smaller tray it could be mounted even lower.

Cheers, Des