PDA

View Full Version : Chikn's new ride.

Chiknskyn
06-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Ok guys, don't beat up on my pop's old car lol. He's had it since 04 and he's 78 years young. I'm 50 and don't really know what direction I'm going to go with it.
Thanks for all the future input.

Troy
06-17-2020, 05:40 PM
That's a beautiful car!!! Wish mine looked like that!!! Some day soon I hope!!!

BamaNomad
06-17-2020, 07:44 PM
This is what the mfg's Tags tell you.

Cowl Tag:
Trim 521 - Beige Pattern cloth, red imitation leather
Paint 585 - Onyx Black
EZ - E-Z-Eye Tinted glass (appears to be all around)

The Body was a fairly early 55-1037 body (2 dr HT) produced in the Janesville Fisher plant,

body was shipped to St Louis GM Assembly for final assembly as car number 58835 out of St Louis; probably first 2-3 months production?

VIN plate tells you: VC 55 S 58835

V - V8 engine, C - BelAir trim level, assembled in (S) St Louis as car # 58835

Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Pack (with first design round snout Air Cleaner )
Add on after market Air Cond.

I wouldn't do anything to that car other than maintain it and drive it, and 'clean up' the wiring under the hood...

I'm assuming it was restored a few years ago based on the condition, else it's extremely low mileage... :)

Your dad has given you a VERY DESIRABLE collector car... :)

Chiknskyn
06-17-2020, 08:09 PM
Wow. Thank you guys. My dad is going to mess himself lol. Really Bama, thank you for all of the info. I didn't know any of that - I know he doesn't either. That is so cool. Hope he doesn't want it back... I seem to have misplaced the title:).

BamaNomad
06-18-2020, 05:05 AM
From the photos you showed us, the wiring under the hood is the 'worst part'... it really needs to be cleaned up and bundled as original using the correct wrapping tape (note. It's not really tape, since there is no 'sticky' on it; it is just tough black plastic wrapping that is 'tied on each end'). Electrical wrapping is available but make sure you buy the right stuff and then look at original cars or photos of original cars to see how it was all routed and wrapped. The assembly manual may also help you with that.

I noticed you also have some sort of 'aftermarket' white plastic reservoir under the hood? What is that? I think I'd find the right part and replace it correctly to make your engine compartment look as good as the rest of the car! :)

Histoy56
06-19-2020, 06:03 AM
Nice looking ride with a great color combo.

Belair-o
06-19-2020, 06:33 AM
What a great car! Love the colors (interior/exterior), love the trim, great car!

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
06-19-2020, 06:36 AM
good looking 55, family heirloom in the making.

567chevys
06-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Very Very Nice 55 !!!!!

Thanks Sid

WagonCrazy
06-19-2020, 11:01 AM
What a great looking 55! Tell us of your plans, and we'll provide lots of advice from the peanut gallery. :D

ykf7b0
12-19-2020, 05:08 PM
That thing is gorgeous!!!

Chiknskyn
07-23-2022, 08:24 AM
Hey folks, I know it's been a while since I posted anything about my car. Well, here goes lol. The engine developed a knock when warm in the bottom end - really pronounced at idle so I stopped driving the car and would just start it every other week. So, I recently got the money scraped together and with the blessing of my 83 year old father, fell off the deep end. Instead of having the engine rebuilt, I decided to go with this... AND a whole lot of other things. I am not doing anything that I can't reverse and go back original if that ever becomes what I desire to do. Ya'll don't beat me up too bad. I will probably be asking for direction and advise really soon so thank you all in advance! Here's a few pics126931269412695. 383 Stroker, 700R4, Complete RideTech suspension (front installed) - 4 link to be installed, Dakota digital gauge cluster, Flaming river rack and pinion cradle, steering column and steering wheel, headman headers (for rack and pinion), Be Cool radiator and fan kit, etc. The little woman is a little upset with me... don't tell her, but I am ordering my rear end from Strange Eng. next week. I am going with a 12 bolt (staying Chevy) and 3.73 gears at least that's my plan anyways. Hope each and every one of you has been well and blessed and continue to stay that way.

Troy
07-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Niiiiiice!!!!

Chiknskyn
07-23-2022, 09:44 AM
Whole lot of work left to do. I am going to keep the 265 and 2 speed trans... I think that would be WAY to hard to replace. Thanks brother!

BamaNomad
07-23-2022, 12:29 PM
that early round snout air cleaner is worth a bit also... don't lose it.. :) You probably should keep the dual exhaust system too ... ?

Your new drivetrain is going to be very different than the original! it should really make it GO.. :)

Chiknskyn
07-23-2022, 01:03 PM
The exhaust was made at a muffler shop, if anything, I may cut the collectors off just in case. I listed them in the classifieds to see if anyone needed them, just come and pick them up. Everything else I am holding on to... not leaving my possession lol. I just want my dad to drive the car once with the new set up.

busterwivell
07-24-2022, 05:10 AM
WOW! What a change of direction. I think you will love it when you get it together. Keep us posted on your progress.

markm
07-24-2022, 07:41 AM
Sounds like what people do today, best decision was to use a 12 bolt.

Chiknskyn
07-27-2022, 05:03 PM
So, I decided to tackle removing the original power steering and column today... I thought I had forgotten all of my cuss words... NOPE, I membered em just fine. Removing the column and gearbox was, well a little frustrating lol. It's out and I didn't use the gas axe or grinder... don't know where all the parts are, under the car and seats most likely, but it is out! I hope to be pulling the original eng / trans in the next few days. Pointers are most welcome. Oh, bad news from Summit, my Be Cool Radiator will not be available until the end of Oct. so I went with a Summit alternative instead - still plan on mounting it in the 6 cyl location. I will be asking for advice when I get to that part as well. Thanks in advance folks.

teahead
08-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Make sure that the brakes, tires, and steering/suspension is up to snuff.

I would drop it and leave everything else as-is. Well...it has aftermarket AC. I would get the repro dash vents and put those in to give it a more stock look inside.

Your dad had great taste!

teahead
08-03-2022, 02:34 PM
Tip:

download a program called Irfanview.

View images w/that program.

Go to Options...Properties/Settings. Click on JPG / PCD / GIF on the left side.

UNCHECK the box to "Auto-rotate image...."

Now view your side-ways pictures. Click "r" or "l" keyboard button to rotate to the right way. His "s" to save.

Now post only those saved pictures that are in the right orientation.

210Chevy
08-04-2022, 04:33 PM
Looks good if you turn your head sideways; LOL

Chiknskyn
08-07-2022, 01:05 PM
Thanks teahead. Will do. I have a big ole melon on top of my shoulders and it has a natural lean to it... The pics just looked kinda crooked to me hehe. I'll do better in the future. I should be pulling the 265 and pwr glide out tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Chiknskyn
11-06-2023, 07:33 AM
Update on my Dad's old car... Well we lost Pop on Memorial day this year and it has been pretty difficult to even look at his 55 sitting in the garage, About a month ago I decided to get to work - not having a clue where to start or what I am doing, just threw myself into it. Still pretty hard as I had a goal of seeing him drive the car at least once before he left us. As with a lot of things, work, life, etc. kept getting in the way so it didn't happen. Now when I work on it, it's like I get to spend time with him, can hear him laughing at me when I mess something up or have to disassemble what ever I put on backwards, you know how it goes. I got the 383 and 700R4 installed wired back up and made it turn over (after priming the oil pump). Work kinda slowed down a bit so I have been in, under, over the car every day. It will never be a show car - but, I think Pop would have loved it whenever I get it running again. Thank you all for every piece of advice and information that you have given me.

chevynut
11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
Sorry for your loss. I just lost my younger brother a couple weeks ago and it's always a difficult time. Glad you have something to bring back his memory.

Chiknskyn
11-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Thank you CN for the kind words sir. I am sorry to hear of your brother's passing and will be adding you and yours to my prayers.

WagonCrazy
11-07-2023, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear that Chickn. Loss of parents is tough, but he lived pretty long and you got alot of time with him, so remember that as you build up this really clean 55 Chevy into a great driver.

Chiknskyn
11-12-2023, 10:07 PM
Thank you sir. That's the plan! Oh, any advice on firing the motor? The fellers that built the engine did the cam break in, I just want to make it bark and run a little - open headers. Cooling system is installed and filled and I should have the fans wired up tomorrow. Just looking for some pointers. Thanks again!

Chiknskyn
11-25-2023, 09:33 AM
Had to measure for my new rear end (scraping my pennies together). This is the stance I am looking to go with. All suggestions are welcome fellers.13781

TrifiveRichard
11-26-2023, 05:21 AM
Nice looking 55. What rear end are you putting in it behind the 700R4?

Chiknskyn
11-26-2023, 07:45 AM
Thanks Richard - I see what you fellers mean... You never "finish" them. I keep finding things that I want to do to it down the road. Strange Engineering 12 bolt. Still unsure of the gears.