PDA

View Full Version : 1957 2d wheel size for dropped front

timo pajala
07-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Hi! Im new member and starting to build my 57 in few months. Im gonna drop the front 2" with spindle and gonna bag the whole car. Would love to put 18" in the front and 20" in the back. What kind on back spacing and tire size would fit there? Also doing 4 link kit in the back.

is it necessary to install drop spindles if i put bags? Would love to get it on ground when not driving :)

This is gonna be ls swap car with 4L60E transmission. Gonna smooth the firewall and install disc brakes around the car.

Thanks for anyone who shares their knowledge!

55 Rescue Dog
07-27-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm in the same boat, but trying to figure out 18 inch F/R tires and wheels for a C4 55 with a LS, and a 460E. You must have a test wheel, and tire to start, and probably a couple more with the issues I'm seeing on mine. It's a nightmare, especially when your only choices are cu$tom made wheels. I'm trying to push mine outboard, and a 56mm offset Corvette wheel seems too far inboard. Nothing to choose from off the shelf except zero offset wheels, which is way to far in the opposite direction. All the wheels I like push them outside the body, which is one good thing about my Camaro running like a minus 30 offset on 15 x 10 inch wheels front, and rear with a really wide stable track. Scrub radius is way outside the window, but it drives, and handle great. I'm stuck with custom wheels probably in the 30-45mm offset range which is not available on any production cars with a 4.75 inch bolt circle.

Rick_L
07-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Timo, I would use the dropped spindles if you want the ride height while driving to be lower than stock. It would also put you 2" closer to the ground when all the air is out of the bags.

A starting point on the front tires/wheels would be a 7" wheel with 4.5 or more backspacing, and a 225 wide tire. In the rear, it would depend on whether you do a mini-tub mod which would enlarge the room for bigger tires, as well as what the rear axle width is if you don't use the stock axle.

timo pajala
07-28-2020, 12:12 AM
rear axle width is about 62", axle from 1975 malibu station wagon. The four link allows much more room for the back tires, but the fronts are the ones that worry me.

timo pajala
07-28-2020, 12:15 AM
Timo, I would use the dropped spindles if you want the ride height while driving to be lower than stock. It would also put you 2" closer to the ground when all the air is out of the bags.

A starting point on the front tires/wheels would be a 7" wheel with 4.5 or more backspacing, and a 225 wide tire. In the rear, it would depend on whether you do a mini-tub mod which would enlarge the room for bigger tires, as well as what the rear axle width is if you don't use the stock axle.

gonna look for 18"x7" rims for the front with 4.5"bs to start. Gonna put steering stops if they rub. Thinking of ridler 650 black/polished rims around the car

timo pajala
07-28-2020, 12:23 AM

I have found many possibilities for the front rims. Is 18"x7" with 5"bs too much? Its stock front end with disc brakes so they come little 1/4inch out from stock location. Theres also the 4.5"bs version from good looking rim

markm
07-28-2020, 08:31 AM
I would look for another rear end if that one is the same as a 74 Malibu SW. Not only too wide but a odd ball, not a traditional 8.5 ten bolt. Not supported in aftermarket at all. Ten bolt cover 12 bolts on ring gear.

Chevy Chase
07-28-2020, 02:57 PM
gonna look for 18"x7" rims for the front with 4.5"bs to start. Gonna put steering stops if they rub. Thinking of ridler 650 black/polished rims around the car
timo, I love the wheel Ridler 650 blk/polished. That design has been around awhile so I'd say it is time-tested. Ridler's website has a wheel visualizer so it allows you to see it on a trifive Chevy. Back spacing is limited though. Pricing is very reasonable.

timo pajala
07-29-2020, 10:44 AM
timo, I love the wheel Ridler 650 blk/polished. That design has been around awhile so I'd say it is time-tested. Ridler's website has a wheel visualizer so it allows you to see it on a trifive Chevy. Back spacing is limited though. Pricing is very reasonable.

i love that wheel also and it looks really good in 57! Hope the bs is something i can handle and buy those for my car!

timo pajala
07-29-2020, 10:46 AM
I would look for another rear end if that one is the same as a 74 Malibu SW. Not only too wide but a odd ball, not a traditional 8.5 ten bolt. Not supported in aftermarket at all. Ten bolt cover 12 bolts on ring gear.

Thank you very much for this! I looked this and you are right, really nightmare end to buy parts and theres no posi for it either so mooving to something else, gm 8.5 or 9"

timo pajala
07-29-2020, 11:22 AM
damn, they dont offer the rideler rim for 4.5bs so gonna have to buy 11156 these instead. They cost more but the offer 17"x7" with 4.5bs so they are the ones im gonna buy.

markm
07-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Thank you very much for this! I looked this and you are right, really nightmare end to buy parts and theres no posi for it either so mooving to something else, gm 8.5 or 9"
Glad to help.
71-74 Nova 60 wide 8.5 ring gear perfect or 71-81 Camaro 61 wide damn close and 8.5 ring gear.
Stay away from early Camaro & Nova 8.2 they are junk by comparison. Even an 8.8 Ford Exploder at 58 wide is not a bad choice.

Chevy Chase
07-29-2020, 11:53 AM
I installed an 8.5" with posi from a '72 Nova and had a shop install 3.42 Eaton posi axle ratio because I installed a 200 4R Bow Ties OD Level 2. Wish I had gone with 3.73 for country roads. The Ford 9" is a strong rear end but robs hp....... plus rather run a 12 bolt and keep it Chevy.

BamaNomad
07-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Kudos Chevy Chase! I totally agree.. :)

markm
07-29-2020, 12:51 PM
I installed an 8.5" with posi from a '72 Nova and had a shop install 3.42 Eaton posi axle ratio because I installed a 200 4R Bow Ties OD Level 2. Wish I had gone with 3.73 for country roads. The Ford 9" is a strong rear end but robs hp....... plus rather run a 12 bolt and keep it Chevy.

Good call,
Robs HP & the factory Ford limited slip is a joke. I started with a 3.55 1966 Chevelle posi, in 56 but upgraded to a 57 Olds 9.3 with 3.42 posi. My 55 has a 56 wide Dana 60 with 3.54 Powerlock. For a future budget build I have a 73 Nova 8.5 in core pile.

timo pajala
08-07-2020, 04:41 AM
Whats the widest rear tire with 4link rear? I ordered 20"x10" rims and wondering will those fit Ok? Rear axle is 59" wide from disc To disc

BamaNomad
08-07-2020, 04:44 AM
Have you tried the Calculator available here on this site???

timo pajala
08-08-2020, 07:48 AM
Yes i have but wanted To know if someone has done similar setup and knows for sure 👍🏻

Rick_L
08-08-2020, 07:56 AM
The tire calculator is very accurate for the rear if you enter the numbers correctly and your car actually measures the same as the numbers in the calculator, and that those measurements are symmetrical side to side. I.e., if your car is not damaged or assembled incorrectly. You should strive for 1" clearance but 3/4" on the outside of the tire and 1/2" on the inside, and you'll be good.

timo pajala
08-08-2020, 10:23 AM
The tire calculator is very accurate for the rear if you enter the numbers correctly and your car actually measures the same as the numbers in the calculator, and that those measurements are symmetrical side to side. I.e., if your car is not damaged or assembled incorrectly. You should strive for 1" clearance but 3/4" on the outside of the tire and 1/2" on the inside, and you'll be good.
Thanks for the answer!

tightline5
08-08-2020, 12:35 PM
Ford Bronco 8.8 junk yard cheap with disc brakes and posi. If you want to go over stock rims and not have to drop the four link to change a flat go mini-tubs.