PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Power Question: Battery Terminal type...???

BamaNomad
08-11-2020, 05:09 AM
I haven't yet decided what type of battery I'm installing in my car, and I'm still undecided whether to use top terminal or side terminal. I'm pretty certain I want to install a slightly smaller battery in the factory ('57) location by modifying the battery support.

1. What do you fellas say? Side terminals are less susceptible to corrosion issues, but are a pain to put a charger on with a cable disconnected.

2. What do you fellas suggest re having a disconnect/charge terminal, separated from the battery ??

Any/all suggestions appreciated. Photos help to explain your situation...

55 Rescue Dog
08-11-2020, 06:26 AM
With a good sealed battery you shouldn't have any corrosion issues with a top post, but if you wanted to use side terminals you could always use these bolt on posts to connect them. A disconnect is a good thing to have too.

markm
08-11-2020, 06:52 AM
I prefer a dual post battery when ever possible. Best of both worlds.

Troy
08-11-2020, 04:54 PM
I've always been a fan of side terminals. I just received two that I ordered for my '55.

Rick_L
08-11-2020, 06:13 PM
There are advantages to both. That's why a dual terminal setup like markm mentioned is a good thing to have.

BamaNomad
08-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Do you fellas have any specific battery suggestions which incorporate both terminal types? The orientation of the + / - terminals don't matter much since it's 'custom' and I can run the wires the way they need to be...

55 Rescue Dog
08-12-2020, 08:00 AM
If you want both terminals Optima makes one.

kbuhagiar
08-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Bama,

I've been hooked on dual-post battery configurations since I discovered them a decade ago; I really like having auxiliary terminals to connect high-amperage accessories or a charger. My dual-post battery of choice has always been the Optima red top, and I have had great success with them. My first Optima is going on six years of service now (in my 47 Plymouth) and the one in my 56 is two years old.

Custer55
08-12-2020, 10:00 AM
The battery I had in my 55 (before I re-located the battery to the trunk) which fit in the original battery tray had both top posts and side terminals. I can't remember the group number but I still have the battery. I will look at it tonight to see what it is. Not an optima battery, I think I bought it at Batteries Plus.
Brian

Belair-o
08-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Bama,
I configured my battery setup more like you mentioned in the first post. I had installed a GM serpentine pully setup with the R4 AC compressor, so an originally sized battery wouldn't fit. I friend sectioned the minimum required piece out of the original tray, and welded it back up for me.
The narrowed tray allows the use of all the original tray fasteners.
I found the AGM battery shown below had good specs and reviews (including a direct one from a tri-fiver on another site), and fit the narrowed tray nicely:
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11213&d=1597260827
I didn't care for the big, fat logo on the top of the battery, so covered it up, and this is how the final install looks:
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11214&d=1597260832

BamaNomad
08-12-2020, 01:51 PM
BelAirO.. How long have you been running with the XS Power battery? Have you had any issues keeping it charged? or any 'overcharging issues'??

PS. I'm also curious about that very nice looking battery terminal that's shown in your photo (it's shown removed and over to the side in your photo)... Can you provide a reference as to where to purchase such a terminal??

Custer55
08-13-2020, 06:23 AM
I looked last night. The battery I had in my 55 is a group 34/78DT. I would assume the DT is for dual terminal. It is a Ray O Vac brand and I did get it from Batteries Plus. Always had plenty of power and it was still working fine. The only reason I replaced it is because I wanted a AGM style battery with it mounted in the trunk.
Brian

BamaNomad
08-13-2020, 06:37 AM
Brian: Was the RayOVac a std lead acid type battery?? or ?

Custer55
08-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Brian: Was the RayOVac a std lead acid type battery?? or ?
Yes, just a standard lead acid battery.

markm
08-13-2020, 07:16 AM
I have been having good luck with FVP from Factory Motors Parts. I get them form the only Ma @ Pa owned auto Parts left in town.

Belair-o
08-13-2020, 07:57 AM
BelAirO.. How long have you been running with the XS Power battery? Have you had any issues keeping it charged? or any 'overcharging issues'??

PS. I'm also curious about that very nice looking battery terminal that's shown in your photo (it's shown removed and over to the side in your photo)... Can you provide a reference as to where to purchase such a terminal??

Hi Bama,
Using the battery since early 2018. I bought one off of Amazon, found I had messed up ordering so that the positive terminal was on the wrong end of the battery to match the cable lengths I had already built, so asked to return the battery. They sent a battery that matched the configuration I needed, and told me to just keep the first battery. I gave the first battery to my son-in-law, who put it in his old Accord - it has been running great ever since, with zero maintenance. Hotrog on the other site got me started on the battery with his strong recommendation.
I hardly run my car, so use my CTEK charger once a month, no issues with keeping charged, or overcharging (do need to use the right type of charger for this type of battery).

The terminals are NVX XBTU that I found on eBay. They were/are pricey, but fit my needs (I looked, and they are still available on eBay, just search for NVX XBTU; only one seller, from a car sound equipment shop). BTW, I find as I get towards the end of my build, that I am willing to pay more than earlier in the process. Guess it is the 'just get it done' mindset taking hold.
Regards, Doug