PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Paint...

BamaNomad
08-18-2020, 02:45 PM
Question: I dipped some very small parts in urethane paint- single stage - (without activator); Will it EVER cure??? :)

BamaNomad
08-18-2020, 06:54 PM
I've had these parts hanging out in the sun for several days and they are still 'tacky'. Tonight I carried them to my basement and 'baked' them for around 20 min at 210 F... I'll check tomorrow morning and see if that help at all, or if I must strip off the paint and do it again...

I had held the opinion that the urethane enamel would behave similar to acrylic enamel without the activator, but I was apparently WRONG about that... :)

Rick_L
08-18-2020, 07:10 PM
I don't think they will ever be "right".

BamaNomad
08-18-2020, 07:20 PM
You're probably right Rick... I was trying to avoid mixing up a batch of paint for these small parts... Well, at least I'll learn a lesson... :)

Rick_L
08-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Well, since you "dipped" them, what's wrong with dipping them in paint that has had activator mixed with it?

BamaNomad
08-18-2020, 08:11 PM
The 'dipping' itself is fine, GM even 'dipped' many parts originally but to mix enough paint with activator to dip would waster quite a bit of paint. I was trying to get these parts in color without waiting until I had a batch of parts to paint, but I suppose I'll have to... I don't like to waste paint, and once mixed with activator the paint only is viable for a couple of hours.... OR maybe I'll go buy a pint or quart of acrylic enamel and use that for small parts like this.

55Jim
08-18-2020, 08:34 PM
Acetone and wipe your troubles away:cool: