PDA

View Full Version : First post

Rick_L
04-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Hello, my first post here. I've been registered but lurking for a few weeks.

I've been on chevytalk.com and trifive.com forever, I've posted a lot on those, so some or most of you know me. I'm building a 55 2 door post Bel Air, trying to do a nice job and it's taking forever (that's really my problem). So much so that I've purchased components that are now more or less obsolete or not current. But I'm still moving forward at some kind of pace.

Anyway, I've done a lot of different things over the years and have experience to share on that stuff. Plus I like to think I know how things work, and am glad to comment on that.

Unlike some others who've recently come here, I'm not mad at the other sites, just really disappointed.

So I hope this site can take off a bit without all the negatives of the others. Looking forward to some growth here.

hollywood
04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forums.

567chevys
04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Welcome Rick_L
Glad to have you join the group Hope you enjoy what the guys here have to offer !!!
Do you have any pictures ?
Remember its the members that make the site not the owner without you guys there would be no site!!!!

Run-em
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
HOWDY! from TEXAS. Don't worry bout being current--last I looked the car bodies were over 50 years old. Build what you want-not the fad of the week. Good luck.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
04-22-2012, 06:36 AM
hi rick and welcome. good to have you here.

56-210Sedan
04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Hey Rick, welcome to the site good to have you here, i can attest that Rick is a great source of information and willing to help others with there issues, remember Rick calls them as he see's them :)

5Clint7
04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Glad you are here Rick. I allways read all your post on the other site, because if it was from you I knew it had to be good.

Clint

misuraco
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the site Rick.

chevynut
04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the site Rick and I'm glad to see you over here. You have added a lot of value to both of the other sites, and I hope you help build this one. Just because we can say whatever we want here doesn't mean everyone wants to cuss and slam others, but at least if they deserve it you can do it without getting posts deleted, edited, or locked.

I'm a little worried that we've had a lot of guys trying to sign up but still can't for some reason. Also, I'd like to see the site continue to improve by adding more features like albums, more conveniences, and just in general add content.

Anyhow, hope you stick around. We need guys who need help, as well as those who can help them. They're both valuable to the site.

smooth 56
04-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Welcome Rick_L glad to see you on this site.

jim '57
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Welcome Rick from another that thinks he's taken way too long.
If you had finished 5 years ago the components would still be more or less obsolete or not current. But that would not stop you from driving and enjoying it.
I'm hoping to drive mine long after it is completely obsolete.
Keep at it.
Jim

Rick_L
04-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I know everyone likes photos, so I'm going to try a couple of them.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2228/2971253/8819116/201836467.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2228/2971253/8819116/379909319.jpg

First one is from a mockup months back. It's kind of misleading as I've replaced the driver side quarter panel since then. But now it looks just the same again.

Second one is part of my custom exhaust. Tig welded from mandrel bends, a Dr. Gas X pipe, and DMH cutouts.

chevynut
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey Rick, it's about time we saw some pics again. It's looking great! Is the chassis pretty much finished now? How much more bodywork do you have to do? That quarter actually looks pretty good, but the pics probably don't show the true story. ;)

I'm on the home stretch with mine...I think. All I have left is interior structure fabrication (console and rear seats) and mounting the seatbelts. My bodywork, gaps, fitting, and priming are all done, with the exception of final blocking. I had hoped to paint the car this spring, but it looks like it's going to be a bit later. I am adding onto my shop and won't paint it til that's done. I just don't have the room to blow the car apart again to a bare frame and re-assemble it after painting.

Rick_L
04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
The chassis has been essentially done for quite some time. The supposed 3" lowering springs I had on there in that photo really weren't, so they are getting replaced.

That quarter looked good from 20'. It had an oil can that I didn't diagnose until later. I went back to fix it and never could satisfy myself, so that led to the quarter panel replacement.

The quarter panel will be done as soon as I get out of block sanding jail! The "only" thing left on the body after that is to hang all the bolt on sheet metal and get the gaps and across panel flatness right.

Double Nickel
04-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Hiya Pal...

Nice to see you here. Now stick around, have fun with us and lets see some of those project pics of your post.

Don't think I've ever seen it? Finished mine and I just had it out on the street this past Sunday. It freakin ROCKS!

:-)

Will
04-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome Rick! I'm glad to see you here. You are an asset to any forum.