PDA

View Full Version : 1957 2d post starting soon

Pages : [1] 2

timo pajala
09-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Hi! Is there audience for whole youtube series about restoring 1957 bel air? My car is comming from us in about month or so and wondering if i make whole series about the car project? Its gonna have 4 link, air bags on all 4 corners, smoothed firewall, raingear wipers, massive audio system ls1 engine and 4l60e trans etc. Im thinking off doing short videos on everything im doing to the car.

Also should i release the videos after the car is ready or when i make them?

Ass all of you know this is gonna take the whole winter to do or maybe more. The car is sand blasted in the us and frame is painted but im gonna remove the frame from the chassis and paint the bottom of the floor also and easier to do the air bags with the frame off and also the 4link much easier that way.

But what do you think, is it worth the trouble? Im thinking that youtube might even pay me little if i had enough audience on those videos.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-09-2020, 03:55 PM
plenty on there now, so don't just do it to think you will make money. do it for the fun it will give you. nothing to lose, plus you would have documentation of the build.

BamaNomad
09-09-2020, 08:58 PM
I echo what Carl said... :) Good advice..

timo pajala
09-10-2020, 12:08 AM
plenty on there now, so don't just do it to think you will make money. do it for the fun it will give you. nothing to lose, plus you would have documentation of the build.

Thank you for response! I thought that there might be audience for the build and its quite fun also To make video of the whole build and if i ever want To sell the car all is documented as you said 👍🏻

Rocketman
09-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Do a build thread on here. Post pictures as you build the car.

timo pajala
10-02-2020, 12:06 AM
Do a build thread on here. Post pictures as you build the car.

Thanks i will!

timo pajala
11-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Hi! I got the parts, well not all but something to get going. I started the rear diff and this is the first part for this. Its gonna have 4link and bags so lot to ne done when the car arrives. Car should be here in thursday so few days to wait still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPgftr93gik&t=51s

timo pajala
11-09-2020, 08:52 AM
I desised to paint the calibers because rear ones where grey and front ones where yellow anodised so i painted them all red 11499

timo pajala
11-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Hi! Got the car and started working on it. Heres quick video about the car etc
https://youtu.be/9bpDiTupNpo

BamaNomad
11-16-2020, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the video, Timo... seems you purchased a '57 BelAir sedan with solid sheet metal. Did you get a cowl plate with the car? It's most likely an original harbor blue/larkspur blue car, but the cowl tag will tell you for sure.

Has the body been off the frame? I'd suggest you spend some time *adjusting* both doors to the body before modifying the original sheet metal. Adjust the doors to the body, and then the front clip to the body and doors... There are adjustments and shim points to take care of *most* of the gap problems.

Good luck on your project and keep us all informed! :)

timo pajala
11-17-2020, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the video, Timo... seems you purchased a '57 BelAir sedan with solid sheet metal. Did you get a cowl plate with the car? It's most likely an original harbor blue/larkspur blue car, but the cowl tag will tell you for sure.

Has the body been off the frame? I'd suggest you spend some time *adjusting* both doors to the body before modifying the original sheet metal. Adjust the doors to the body, and then the front clip to the body and doors... There are adjustments and shim points to take care of *most* of the gap problems.

Good luck on your project and keep us all informed! :)

Yes its really solid and easy to work with! Cowl plate is on its way to me by post. Body has been out of the frame and i took it out today begause gonna install airbags etc. Im gonna order new door skin to the drivers side patch the other side :)

Gonna adjust everything before body work starts. I have huge amount of body shims to use :cool:

timo pajala
11-17-2020, 06:44 AM
i separated the body from the frame today so its easier to modify the frame for airbags
https://youtu.be/OmFfx30PPvE

timo pajala
11-18-2020, 09:55 AM
patch work to the rockers. Only three patches and made them today
https://youtu.be/uREkAlv_pbg

timo pajala
11-19-2020, 10:56 AM
today was a long day but i got the battery tray almost ready to be welded!
https://youtu.be/KV3HNviJ9n0

timo pajala
11-20-2020, 02:29 AM
almost finished, gonna fab the door
https://youtu.be/_l3P5E7j2Rk

timo pajala
11-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Gonna start minitubbing the car tomorrow. Planned the thing today and ready to start tomorrow :-)

timo pajala
11-27-2020, 11:26 AM
started the tub proses today and the right side is done and grinded, did not make video of that but gonna make video when both sides are done
https://youtu.be/DHeL2eQAzB0

Belair-o
11-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Hi,
You are really progressing quickly! Thanks for documenting and posting your work - very helpful!
Thanks, Doug

timo pajala
11-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Hi,
You are really progressing quickly! Thanks for documenting and posting your work - very helpful!
Thanks, Doug

Thank you very much. Today was a brake and tomorrow back with the welding 🙂

timo pajala
11-29-2020, 06:56 AM
well its sunday so why not het busy with the car :D
https://youtu.be/_9dWFHNms4Q

timo pajala
11-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Sorry about my spelling and also my spoken english. Its been so long when I spoke english and written it 😆 trying my Best 👍🏻

BamaNomad
11-29-2020, 02:27 PM
You're moving right along Timo! :) Very good work... And your english is about 1000X better than our Finnish~ :)

timo pajala
11-29-2020, 10:50 PM
You're moving right along Timo! :) Very good work... And your english is about 1000X better than our Finnish~ :)

Thank you for kind words! Today finishing the second tub 👍🏻

timo pajala
11-30-2020, 12:05 PM
todays work
https://youtu.be/bGzNE4gcr8Y

Belair-o
12-01-2020, 06:21 AM
You are movin' right along! Good job!

timo pajala
12-01-2020, 10:01 AM
You are movin' right along! Good job!

Thank you very much! Next is the air bags and 4 link system 👍🏻

timo pajala
12-07-2020, 06:36 AM
steering column work to fit the cpp500 box
https://youtu.be/sQVJ4A0NLd4

Belair-o
12-08-2020, 06:23 AM
HI,
Thanks for the latest video - great documentation! Any thoughts of using a rag joint instead of the coupler you used, to cut down on vibration transfer to the steering wheel?
Regards, Doug

BamaNomad
12-08-2020, 06:57 AM
Doug, it appears it's too late for Timo to change his configuration, but based on the 'straight shaft' alignment from the steering shaft to the steering box, I agree that a 'rag joint' might have been a better choice than the universal coupler Timo chose...?

timo pajala
12-09-2020, 01:30 AM
HI,
Thanks for the latest video - great documentation! Any thoughts of using a rag joint instead of the coupler you used, to cut down on vibration transfer to the steering wheel?
Regards, Doug

The Rag Joint might be needed, I dont know how much vibration this makes so if thats the case I can change it. I have 1cm play in the End so Rag Joint is possible to install with this setup also 👍🏻

timo pajala
12-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Been doing body work, bondo and sanding. Almost finished with the fenders and the battery box. Measured the rear end center and marked it down. Next gonna order New paint gun for spraying epoxy on the floor and fenders etc. Gonna assemble the 9" rear today perhaps 👍🏻

timo pajala
12-21-2020, 11:02 AM
I have sanded the whole car and few issues came up. Few dings on the roof and on the door. Few patches have To do to the door and lend a dent puller from my friend to pull put roof dents so I dont have To put bondo

BamaNomad
12-21-2020, 07:25 PM
you did good Timo, to buy a rust free car with a few dents/dings! :)

timo pajala
12-21-2020, 08:21 PM
you did good Timo, to buy a rust free car with a few dents/dings! :)

This car was a great starting point! Door skin is the only thing a have To change what comes to sheetmetal work 👍🏻

Today im gonna finish the sanding and start cleaning my carage 😀

timo pajala
12-27-2020, 11:49 AM
Car has been sanded and garace cleaned once
https://youtu.be/5KKSeR4nXjY

Belair-o
12-28-2020, 06:07 AM
The body is in great shape, that was a good purchase you made, what a great starting point! Thanks for the video!
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
12-28-2020, 06:50 AM
The body is in great shape, that was a good purchase you made, what a great starting point! Thanks for the video!
Regards, Doug

Thank you and it sure was!

WagonCrazy
12-30-2020, 09:04 AM
Great updates Timo. You're making real progress and thank you for taking the time to document it and post it for the rest of us to follow.

Back to the shop now...

timo pajala
12-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Great updates Timo. You're making real progress and thank you for taking the time to document it and post it for the rest of us to follow.

Back to the shop now...

Thank you very much :)

timo pajala
12-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Patch work passenger door
https://youtu.be/aPk9Q36Fp70

https://youtu.be/on0gZbm_C_0

timo pajala
01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Panel gaps
https://youtu.be/bm5eBEbjbIA

timo pajala
01-06-2021, 08:09 AM
Little setback here, door molding holes are way Off and have To weld the shut and make New ones!

Belair-o
01-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Little setback here, door molding holes are way Off and have To weld the shut and make New ones!
Hmm, that surprises me. Wonder how that happened? Too high, too low?

timo pajala
01-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Holes are too low in the door. About half inch in the back and over inch in the front

timo pajala
01-10-2021, 07:12 AM
I have painted the front End. Epokxy is first and paint after that. Today I reassembled the front control arms with New Ball Joints and also installed New LS motor mounts.

https://youtu.be/9g8FjLSZlDw

BamaNomad
01-10-2021, 10:02 AM
you're making great progress, Timo... and making many mods as well.. :)

timo pajala
01-10-2021, 10:32 AM
you're making great progress, Timo... and making many mods as well.. :)

Thank you very much! Im not good at keeping cars stock :p

Belair-o
01-11-2021, 06:18 AM
Hi Timo,
Looking good - what a boost when the renovated parts start coming back together!
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
01-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Hi Timo,
Looking good - what a boost when the renovated parts start coming back together!
Regards, Doug

Thats the really good part! I welded the old molding holes shut. Tomorrow perhaps do the Seat bracket.

timo pajala
01-12-2021, 05:54 AM
Today
https://youtu.be/_7SUd_dqBJ4

Belair-o
01-13-2021, 05:31 AM
Hi Timo,
That looks great - big job, and good results! I take it you didn't have to deal with undercoating? Took me a long time to get that off on my car.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
01-13-2021, 06:10 AM
Hi Timo,
That looks great - big job, and good results! I take it you didn't have to deal with undercoating? Took me a long time to get that off on my car.
Regards, Doug

No undercoating so quite easy Job To grind Off. About 4h or so for the half of the floor. I cleaned the other half earlier.

I installed the Front end stuff today with the bags:
https://youtu.be/S_ZdzNmuDis

timo pajala
01-14-2021, 01:08 PM
Today i mocked the 4link and welded rear for body install before finall weld process. Just want to make sure that Front wheels turn ok etc. I dont have the Front rims so i have to measure everything with the old rims and tires on the front. New rims arrive about month or so. Gonna post video tomorrow about the body install.

55 Rescue Dog
01-14-2021, 04:31 PM
Impressive. I've been stuck for over a week now just trying to run 2 stupid transmission cooler lines.

timo pajala
01-14-2021, 11:19 PM
Impressive. I've been stuck for over a week now just trying to run 2 stupid transmission cooler lines.

Those can be frustrating things to do when the car is build. I hope to mock everything before buiding final time

timo pajala
01-15-2021, 04:56 AM
Im little bit strugling with the 4 link upper bracket, do they need to be on the top of belhousing or does the centerline of axle be enough? I tacked the chassis bracket already and if the upper needs to on top of the rear then I have to cut Those out and move them upper

BamaNomad
01-15-2021, 06:55 AM
Im little bit strugling with the 4 link upper bracket, do they need to be on the top of belhousing or does the centerline of axle be enough? I tacked the chassis bracket already and if the upper needs to on top of the rear then I have to cut Those out and move them upper

Timo, if you bought someone else's design or kit, you should follow their instructions explicitly IMO...

timo pajala
01-15-2021, 09:46 AM
Timo, if you bought someone else's design or kit, you should follow their instructions explicitly IMO...

It stated that it should be above axle center line so im gonna lift the bracket about an inch or so

timo pajala
01-18-2021, 10:15 AM
4 link and rear bags are tacked In.
https://youtu.be/bdwJJJxCmLA

Rick_L
01-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Timo, what you want on the mount for the upper bar is for the bar to be parallel to the lower bar when viewing from the side. It's difficult to tell from your video whether you have that or not.

This avoids binding when you are cornering and the outer wheel is compressing the spring while the inner wheel is extending the spring.

timo pajala
01-18-2021, 07:29 PM
Timo, what you want on the mount for the upper bar is for the bar to be parallel to the lower bar when viewing from the side. It's difficult to tell from your video whether you have that or not.

This avoids binding when you are cornering and the outer wheel is compressing the spring while the inner wheel is extending the spring.

Its really close To been parallel. I measured it with using cross laser

WagonCrazy
01-19-2021, 07:03 AM
Dang Timo...you are just kickin' ass and taking names with the progress of this build! Stay with it...it's gonna be a fantastic car when done.
Thank you for documenting it and posting it here for us lazy types to watch.

timo pajala
01-19-2021, 09:27 AM
Dang Timo...you are just kickin' ass and taking names with the progress of this build! Stay with it...it's gonna be a fantastic car when done.
Thank you for documenting it and posting it here for us lazy types to watch.

Thank you very much for kind words! They give me good boost for building the car :) i made front shock mounts today and gonna post video when everything is welded on :)

timo pajala
01-21-2021, 08:23 PM
Little More work, driver side upper airbag mount did not fit and had to do 2" notch to the floor. Then i realised that the fuel tank is super close to the airbag and gonna measure today if i have to move the tank 2" to the back. Also noticed that the fuel tank has somekind of o ring connection and gonna change that to normal clamp connector

timo pajala
01-23-2021, 07:15 AM
Today My friend came and welded the whole 4 link etc. I noticed that My front shock mounts where In the wrong place and have to cut them out and weld those back tomorrow with redesigned place. I did not have enough up travel In the shock when car was In driving height. My own fault, measured wrong.

Gonna post video when the chassis is all ok and bags working etc :)

55 Rescue Dog
01-23-2021, 03:42 PM
Seems like too many times lately trying to move my project forward, I run into unseen issues, and have to back up 2 steps and try another path. And then it's a compromise, but sometimes it's a better idea than originally planned. Like trying to stay under a 50% scrap rate running brake, tranny, and fuel lines.

timo pajala
01-23-2021, 10:38 PM
I feel you with the brake and fuel line scrap rate :D im currently planning the e brake system and the cables. I dont want the original system where they are. Lookimg to hide them under the exhaust.

timo pajala
01-24-2021, 03:03 AM
Made New shock brackets and they are welded on. Painted them and ready to install shock and rear bags etc. Today gonna test the rear bags with fronts

timo pajala
01-24-2021, 08:26 AM
Little More progress
https://youtu.be/n344_icpOLE

timo pajala
01-25-2021, 02:25 PM
My friend came over today and soldered the rear body panel gaps. Previous owner used bondo In those so i grinded that of and we used lead solder for those.

Also had to move My rear shock upper holes to different location because they hit the upper 4 link arms when car is lowered to max.

Tomorrow maybe tha fuel tank brackets relocation and the floor is starting to be ready

timo pajala
01-27-2021, 05:03 AM
I drilled New shock holes yesterday and moved the fuel tank brackets 2" towards the rear. I used 1968 camaro adjustable koni rear shocks In this and they are perfect for the lenght.

Keep In mind that My shock is mounted lower then the original shock so thats why they fit ok

55 Rescue Dog
01-27-2021, 04:49 PM
I have watched a few of your videos and am impressed at how you are going after it. But, more pictures of your progress would be better time wise for everyone, and you. It takes much less time to post a picture which says alot, instead of video. Thanks, 55RD
I have got to where I can take a picture and post it in less than 4 minutes.

timo pajala
01-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply! Im gonna post pictures later for the chassis and shocks etc when i have painted the frame and so on :)

Belair-o
01-30-2021, 06:21 AM
Timo,
You are doing a fantastic job on your build, and in documenting your methods and progress; thanks for the videos! I am amazed at what you get done, and in how fast you do so!
Thanks man! Doug

timo pajala
01-31-2021, 07:37 AM
Timo,
You are doing a fantastic job on your build, and in documenting your methods and progress; thanks for the videos! I am amazed at what you get done, and in how fast you do so!
Thanks man! Doug

Thank you very much! I mocked the New front seat brackets today but ran out of welding gas so tomorrow that continues after i refill the gas tank.

I made quite easy brackets to hold the 1984 camaro front seats on.

They look quite nice In there, little sporty but not too much.

Body is soon ready for epoxy and the frame also ready
Its going on quite nice and gonna start mocking the side moldings so i can make New moldings holes to the Doors

timo pajala
02-06-2021, 05:21 AM
I did the air duct Light assembly bracket today, that was really pain to do. I had no air duct on the drivers side but had the other side duct and used that as model and worked that from sheetmetal.

Im not using the duct but peace of it is necessary to attach the front Light.

2 hours went to that but Its finished. Gonna Paint those Black so they wont show under there

timo pajala
02-06-2021, 12:43 PM
Engine Almost finished
https://youtu.be/js8vHXnMGTY

Belair-o
02-07-2021, 05:32 AM
Hi Timo,
Thanks for the video! Your startup sounded great, and no leaks! The engine stand setup is great, liked your shelving so all you need is right at hand, and how nothing seems jerry-rigged (like I would do), and then you turned the camera to your PC engine monitor - wow! Your garage space looks pretty extensive - is it a three car garage, or more? Wondered if you work on cars for your livelihood?
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
02-07-2021, 06:05 AM
Hi Timo,
Thanks for the video! Your startup sounded great, and no leaks! The engine stand setup is great, liked your shelving so all you need is right at hand, and how nothing seems jerry-rigged (like I would do), and then you turned the camera to your PC engine monitor - wow! Your garage space looks pretty extensive - is it a three car garage, or more? Wondered if you work on cars for your livelihood?
Regards, Doug

Thank you for the reply. Thats not My garage in the engine video, Its the engine builders video that he send to me. My garage is on the previous videos and Its about 3 car garage. Two cars go easy and theres little Paint booth In the side.

Cars are only My hobby, I work company called isover Saint gobain. We make insulation for pipes and buildings etc from recycled glass

timo pajala
02-15-2021, 03:32 AM
I was marking the New door molding holes and test fitted the door window reveal moldings and dont have any clue how the upper one is supposed to install?

Molding has screw plates on the back but My door has no holes In there. The Doors are from another year car so do i need to drill holes for the screws?

Also no holes In the inner side where the other screw point are

timo pajala
02-24-2021, 08:41 AM
Little progress
https://youtu.be/SIUQbOKrYD0

Rick_L
02-25-2021, 07:53 PM
I was marking the New door molding holes and test fitted the door window reveal moldings and dont have any clue how the upper one is supposed to install?

If you are trying to install the upper molding on the door of a 2 door Bel Air sedan I can get you a photo and description of the holes. Let me know if that' s what you have.

timo pajala
02-25-2021, 10:43 PM
If you are trying to install the upper molding on the door of a 2 door Bel Air sedan I can get you a photo and description of the holes. Let me know if that' s what you have.

Thank you very much! That would help a lot!

timo pajala
02-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Today i delivered My seats to upholstery Shop. After that i cut the firewall out and made the New straight panel with 4" notch for the ls engine. Tomorrow im gonna weld the 3 pieces together and then My sheetmetal work is finished :)

timo pajala
02-28-2021, 05:00 AM
Today i welded the panels together and gonna weld the whole panel to My car
https://youtu.be/u-l1ESogjMc

markm
02-28-2021, 07:29 AM
Is there a reason I get a black box instead of pictures on your post.

timo pajala
02-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Finished
https://youtu.be/6kNFhO_qBvA

timo pajala
02-28-2021, 09:30 AM

Those are videos i think. I have not uploaded photos, only videos

markm
02-28-2021, 09:59 AM
All I see is solid black boxes.

timo pajala
02-28-2021, 10:21 AM
All I see is solid black boxes.

They work on My Phone. They are youtube videos. Dont know why they wont show In yours?

567chevys
02-28-2021, 10:54 AM
They work for me , Thanks for posting this for all of us

Thanks Sid

timo pajala
02-28-2021, 11:09 AM
They work for me , Thanks for posting this for all of us

Thanks Sid

You are welcome and thanks :)

55 Rescue Dog
03-01-2021, 04:09 AM
A lot of stuff doesn't work anymore if you are using an outdated browser like internet explorer. I have to switch over to chrome, or edge to view videos, or post pictures. I get just a black box on internet explorer too.

markm
03-01-2021, 10:45 AM
A lot of stuff doesn't work anymore if you are using an outdated browser like internet explorer. I have to switch over to chrome, or edge to view videos, or post pictures. I get just a black box on internet explorer too.

I believe this to be the answer to my question.

timo pajala
03-02-2021, 09:41 AM
I made the transtunnel patch today and welded it on the car. I noticed that the transmission oil line are In really tight spot also and made 4" notch for those too. I dont think that it will show at all when the floor mat is in there.

Gonna start removing parts from the frame soon and start painting the frame and rear and 4 link arms etc

55 Rescue Dog
03-02-2021, 04:06 PM
I definitely struggled with the snap in tranny oil cooler lines on my junkyard 4L60e. Make sure you put the snap rings on first. I had to make several attempts to put the upper clip on with it taped to the end of one finger. I also should have installed the inexpensive new fittings too before I installed the trans. Totally impossible to get any wrench on installed. If they leak I might end up with an access panel on the side of the tunnel.

timo pajala
03-02-2021, 09:16 PM
I definitely struggled with the snap in tranny oil cooler lines on my junkyard 4L60e. Make sure you put the snap rings on first. I had to make several attempts to put the upper clip on with it taped to the end of one finger. I also should have installed the inexpensive new fittings too before I installed the trans. Totally impossible to get any wrench on installed. If they leak I might end up with an access panel on the side of the tunnel.

I changed My fittings to push lock hose fittings so i dont need to fight with the fittings. They are quite cheap and really easy to use.

timo pajala
03-07-2021, 06:44 AM
I have finished the trans tunnel mod, I had to make More room to the tunnel. Also used metal bondo for Al the weld seams and used fosforic acid to the floor surface rust spots. Good stuff and dont need to wash of after use. Im gonna use My old driveshaft, just gonna put New joints In there and shorten the shat about 6" or so.

My friend had spare yoke to the front and he sold that to me for 30€. Just gonna have to buy New joint for that

timo pajala
03-09-2021, 11:59 AM
I made electric pedal mount today and added More fosforic accid to the floor. Gonna fab windshield heater duct grommet tomorrow, thats because i fabbed the firewall, now the original wont have the mounting place anymore. I also bolted the lokar 4l60e dipstick to the firewall

timo pajala
03-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Busted My knew so little brake to Shop things but today i made little progress after work with My airlift install
https://youtu.be/hgUctWdC3jg

Belair-o
03-20-2021, 05:58 AM
Hi Timo,
As always, thanks for posting about the progress on your Chevy. The videos are helpful and interesting. I had never looked into an air-ride suspension, so what you showed was new to me. Be interesting to see where you put the valves (right word?) for the front end. You have lots of balls in the air, and it will be satisfying for you as they continue to get completed. Is it hard to find buyers for your old parts there (motor/trany/seat)?
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
03-21-2021, 09:25 AM
Hi Timo,
As always, thanks for posting about the progress on your Chevy. The videos are helpful and interesting. I had never looked into an air-ride suspension, so what you showed was new to me. Be interesting to see where you put the valves (right word?) for the front end. You have lots of balls in the air, and it will be satisfying for you as they continue to get completed. Is it hard to find buyers for your old parts there (motor/trany/seat)?
Regards, Doug

Thanks for the comment! This system is New to me also but i have watched several videos In the internet for the air ride install so i not worried about it :)

Parts where really easy to sell, Almost everything is sold including the front seat.

My New seats are ready from the upholstery Shop and gonna fetch them next week if i have the time.

BamaNomad
03-21-2021, 12:11 PM
you're doing great, Timo.... get past that knee problem and you're making even greater progress! :)

timo pajala
03-21-2021, 12:35 PM
you're doing great, Timo.... get past that knee problem and you're making even greater progress! :)

Thanks! I have medicine for that but lets see how does it work this time. My knee busted 7years ago for the first time and now the second time. I think Its really close To be surgery time for the knee. I managed to spray epoxy to the undercarriage and Its ready for the primer and final color.

I tested color for one inner front fender and gonna post you video for that also soon

timo pajala
03-24-2021, 10:42 AM
I got my seats from the upholstery Shop today.

https://youtu.be/rgI3TT-xUmg

BamaNomad
03-24-2021, 05:43 PM
I love the seats, Timo.. great looking upholstery work! :)

567chevys
03-24-2021, 06:47 PM
The seats Look Fantastic, I really like the Belair that is stitched into the head rests

Sid

timo pajala
03-25-2021, 02:32 AM
The seats Look Fantastic, I really like the Belair that is stitched into the head rests

Sid

Thanks! Im gonna do something like that to the door panel upholstery also!

timo pajala
03-25-2021, 02:32 AM
I love the seats, Timo.. great looking upholstery work! :)

Thanks! Gonna do something like that to the door panels also!

timo pajala
03-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Spraying some stone chip stuff to the body

https://youtu.be/yBiXkoGo00Y

timo pajala
03-29-2021, 12:54 PM
Painting etc
https://youtu.be/NgGvvFI1_wk

BamaNomad
03-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Your underfloor is looking very good, Timo! :)

timo pajala
03-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Your underfloor is looking very good, Timo! :)

Thank you very much!

timo pajala
04-02-2021, 12:38 PM
Today i put undercoat to the firewall and finished installing the height sensors. Tomorrow some bondo work and probably More undercoating

timo pajala
04-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Ive been working with the exhaust and several attempts later i desided to go under the axle. Its the easiest way. I tried the side exit also but lots of work and theres risk of fumes getting inside the car and also the noise is one problem, id like this car to be quiet also

timo pajala
04-17-2021, 03:03 AM
Exhaust is almost done. Drivers side header is still at my friend but rest of the exhaust is done.

https://youtu.be/DIS8l4tM9x0

BamaNomad
04-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Timo: You're making progress, so your health must be improving? :)

If that was the oxygen sensor that you were pointing out on the RH exhaust, then it should be located on the 'upper half' of the tube, and probably angled towards the engine (for the electrical connection). Generally from what I've read, the oxygen sensor should probably be located farther away from the engine than you have it (if you have that option).

timo pajala
04-17-2021, 09:26 AM
Yes that was the o2 sensor what i was pointing. That is the stock location for those headers so i think ill leave them there. Just gonna rotate the pipe so that the sensor Will fit and electric connector is easy to acces later on.

I have been on medicine for few weeks and my knee is little better and allows me to continue on the build. Hopefully have the whole exhaust done in this weekend so i can lover the body and make sure nothing binds or hits the floor etc.

timo pajala
05-15-2021, 11:20 PM
Sorry about the long wait. Ive been busy in the garage and mounted seatbelts, test fitted my heater and raingear wiper system etc. Painted the whole frame.

Also have my rocket racing wheels with 275 wide tires. They were too tight fit so i removed the whole rear and my friend is gonna narrow it down almost 2" per side.

I also removed the emergency brake system under the car because im gonna put the handbrake in the center console.

Trunk is painted in primer already and i have made the bracket to mount the air tanks, compressor etc in the trunk

Belair-o
05-16-2021, 07:57 AM
Hi Timo,
Good to hear you are still kicking! Wow, lots of progress!
So you won't have to mini-tub the rear wheel wells?
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
05-16-2021, 08:29 AM
They are allready minitubbed. The wheel came too close to the out side. I have 4" room to the chassis so i narrowed the rear to get those rims fit better and also the wheel Change is gonna be much easyer in the future. Im gonna narrow the rear 1 and 3/4 inch per side.

Belair-o
05-17-2021, 06:30 AM
You are ahead of the game! Nice.

timo pajala
05-17-2021, 07:33 AM
You are ahead of the game! Nice.

Thanks! :)

timo pajala
05-22-2021, 11:08 PM
Got the rear yesterday from my Friend Who shortened the the whole thing. Today im gonna weld oil drain plug to that and spray epoxy and paint maybe.

timo pajala
05-23-2021, 03:58 AM
https://youtu.be/b56SggsQQmQ

timo pajala
05-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Learning how to paint
https://youtu.be/Y3QdToEbHBk

timo pajala
06-10-2021, 09:56 PM
I have made all the brake lines to the Master cylinder and the brackets for the brake hoses also. Rear axle was shortened about 40mm from each side and now the tire swap is possible with the Jack on the road if needed.

I Asser assembled the fuel tank with the New pump and sender also, just need to wire all before installing the tank.

Fuel lines are ready and the mainpower line is also ready and installed on the chassis.

I bolted the fuel line in to the center of the body, i dont want to run it across the exhaust on any point

Belair-o
06-11-2021, 08:45 AM
Hi Timo,
I guess you are getting close to setting the body back on the chassis? You keep movin' along!
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
06-11-2021, 11:31 AM
Hi Timo,
I guess you are getting close to setting the body back on the chassis? You keep movin' along!
Regards, Doug

Thanks! Yes im moving on, today bolted the whole front end back together and started mocking the 01 camaro radiator with the fan pack to its place. Yesterday i mocked the lokar shifter and also my emergenge e brake handle to the center console.

Then i noticed that my camaro seats are too low, i need to raise them about 2" higher so a shorter person can drive it also :D

timo pajala
06-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Little More progres
https://youtu.be/VR7V0mMoWMQ

Belair-o
06-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Hi Timo,
Nice to see all your progress - body on the chassis, yes! I have never seen a fiberglass panel formed up, will be interested to see how you do it.
Thanks for the posts! Doug

timo pajala
06-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Hi Timo,
Nice to see all your progress - body on the chassis, yes! I have never seen a fiberglass panel formed up, will be interested to see how you do it.
Thanks for the posts! Doug

Thanks! Little More sanding and few shapes to carve and after that aluminium foil to that and the glassfiber resin and the fiber, i think about 3 or 4 layers of fiber is enough

timo pajala
06-24-2021, 02:32 AM
Hingecover making
https://youtu.be/ZsHVWAOYPhY

Belair-o
06-28-2021, 07:51 AM
Hi Timo,
Like the hinge covers design, and think they should look great with the caps you plan to weld on. How will you attach the covers to the firewall & inner fenders? I assume the covers will be removable?
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
06-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Hi Timo,
Like the hinge covers design, and think they should look great with the caps you plan to weld on. How will you attach the covers to the firewall & inner fenders? I assume the covers will be removable?
Regards, Doug

Yes the covers Will be removable, im gonna weld metal connectors to the firewall and also to the inner fender and they Will hold it on place. Golden counter sink washers with stainless bolts to hold them in place

timo pajala
06-28-2021, 10:41 AM
Glassfiber panel ready to bondo work.

https://youtu.be/CcQsiB4W7ck

timo pajala
06-28-2021, 08:12 PM
By the way, if theres market this kind of glassfiber panel i could make these for sale also. This is gonna be the molds mold and the final peace has gelcoat on it

timo pajala
07-09-2021, 05:43 AM
Little More progres

https://youtu.be/m2fm8ZIzk5o

Belair-o
07-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Hi Timo,
I think the hinge covers worked out great - your engine compartment looks nicely cleaned up with all your mods! I had wondered about the bumps on the radiator cover, and had thought you were evoking the 57 hood bulges - now I know.
I think there would be a market for the parts, depending on price. I have no clue on shipping costs to the USA, but would assume them significant.
Thanks for posting your progress! Doug

BamaNomad
07-10-2021, 06:48 AM
based on my prior experience with parts fabricated in Taiwan, the shipping costs will outweigh the production costs significantly, unless perhaps a large quantity is shipped at once on a slow boat... and we normally can't, and won't, do that...

timo pajala
07-10-2021, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the reply! I think the same about the shipping Costs gonna be big problem to us. And also the oversize size is another problem also. Have to ask these shipping costs from my local postal office and also shipfreight costs, they just take really long time.

timo pajala
07-16-2021, 04:07 AM
Gauge update

https://youtu.be/ImuJoMmw3Wo

BamaNomad
07-16-2021, 05:05 AM
Timo, I like the conversion you did to the speedometer.. If I understood you correctly, the GPS speedometer you installed in the center of your speedo gauge cost you $86?? Is that a specific gauge for a 'trifive' chevy? or is it a generic conversion piece?? Could you provide a source for the gauge?

timo pajala
07-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Timo, I like the conversion you did to the speedometer.. If I understood you correctly, the GPS speedometer you installed in the center of your speedo gauge cost you $86?? Is that a specific gauge for a 'trifive' chevy? or is it a generic conversion piece?? Could you provide a source for the gauge?

This is the gauge i bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/163772686516?mkevt=1&siteid=1&mkcid=2&mkrid=711-153320-877651-5&source_name=google&mktype=pla_ssc&campaignid=10454314772&groupid=112166165668&targeted=pla-293946777986&MT_ID=&adpos=&device=m&googleloc=1005669&itemid=163772686516&merchantid=116792603&geo_id=154&gclid=CjwKCAjw3MSHBhB3EiwAxcaEuxfQdgAnGgdDAIUK5S1p VjLm-Y88Skl2ABgHBa5RbdqIRvtfElu9_BoCYpsQAvD_BwE

BamaNomad
07-16-2021, 10:32 AM
Thanks Timo... I'd say that's a nice way to modify and update a '57 Speedometer, AND in your case you end up with a km/hr indicator as well.. :)

timo pajala
07-17-2021, 12:57 AM
Thanks Timo... I'd say that's a nice way to modify and update a '57 Speedometer, AND in your case you end up with a km/hr indicator as well.. :)

Thanks and also quite affordable also :D

timo pajala
07-26-2021, 03:29 AM
Little More progress

https://youtu.be/yrN5Ng7maxE

BamaNomad
07-26-2021, 05:23 AM
Your under-hood and under-dash panels are looking very good Timo!!

timo pajala
07-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Your under-hood and under-dash panels are looking very good Timo!!

Thank you very much sir!

timo pajala
08-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Its been awhile but little progress

https://youtu.be/einuxoeSFMw

Belair-o
08-17-2021, 06:37 AM
Great job on the console. I thought you did a great job on the shape - the curves evoke the kickup in the body in the area of the rear windows. Nice use of the chrome trim pieces.
Is that a Grant steering wheel? I had a wheel that looked a lot like that on my first 57, back in the 70's. I liked the appearance of the wheel a lot, and have not seen them available since.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
08-17-2021, 08:08 AM
Great job on the console. I thought you did a great job on the shape - the curves evoke the kickup in the body in the area of the rear windows. Nice use of the chrome trim pieces.
Is that a Grant steering wheel? I had a wheel that looked a lot like that on my first 57, back in the 70's. I liked the appearance of the wheel a lot, and have not seen them available since.
Regards, Doug

Thanks! Yes i think the Shape of the console came quite good also. No thats not from Grant, i have to check that tonorrow. I bought the steering wheel from spider performance on ebay. Really solid and sturdy peace!

timo pajala
08-17-2021, 08:18 AM
Steering wheel is from forever sharp steering wheels

Belair-o
08-18-2021, 07:10 AM
Timo,
Thanks for the word on the wheel supplier! Looks sharp!
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
08-18-2021, 09:18 PM
Timo,
Thanks for the word on the wheel supplier! Looks sharp!
Regards, Doug

No problem :)

Belair-o
09-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Hi Timo,
Been a while since you have updated your build thread. Hope all is going well. Still very interested in how you are fabbing your car.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
10-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Hi! I have been really busy with the car and everyhing is going fine. Gonna post video söin of the progres

Belair-o
10-13-2021, 06:54 AM
Bueno! Look forward to seeing whatchu been doin'

timo pajala
10-13-2021, 08:18 AM
Heres the update video i promised

https://youtu.be/QmOppTUbGcU

567chevys
10-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Thank you for the update

Sid

timo pajala
10-13-2021, 11:07 AM
Thank you for the update

Sid

You are welcome and ill keep posting :)

Belair-o
10-14-2021, 06:35 AM
Hi Timo,
The black paint application you did looks very smooth! The moldings you made to bridge between front fenders and the radiator cover you built turned out very good - great fit! Thanks for the update!
Doug

markm
10-14-2021, 06:43 AM
I wish the Black dash in my 55 150 2dr looked so good, my 56 has a factory padded dash.

timo pajala
10-14-2021, 11:46 PM
Thank you very much for the replyes! This is kind of fab and fit stuff and goes sideways once a a while:D

I have been painting stuff like gauge cluster, glove box etc for few days now and almost everything is painted and car is about ready to get the final paint on.

I made my own center console also and got video from that on my youtube Page also but thats in finnish language so gonna make video for you also soon :)

markm
10-15-2021, 11:42 AM
Is that stone chip a similar product to POR-15, looking good.

timo pajala
10-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Yes, quite like por 15. I used normal paint gun for that so quite easy to put on and smoothes easily

210Chevy
10-23-2021, 08:26 PM
Hey; timo, do you have a video of installing your inner fenders on the front? I would love to see that if you do please let me know I'm trying to install mine but; having troubles.

210Chevy
10-23-2021, 08:30 PM
Timo, where all your videos?

BamaNomad
10-23-2021, 08:39 PM
William: If you find Timo's thread, that's where he posts his videos for us.... He *may* also have an independent youtube channel?? but he's never posted it here.

BamaNomad
10-23-2021, 08:40 PM
Hey; timo, do you have a video of installing your inner fenders on the front? I would love to see that if you do please let me know I'm trying to install mine but; having troubles.

William, most people consider it easier/best to assemble the inner fender to the fender and install them as an assembly..

timo pajala
10-26-2021, 05:33 AM
My youtube channel is this https://youtube.com/user/zubzero1979

Theres lots of finnish videos also but the ones with english are with english title.

timo pajala
10-26-2021, 05:37 AM
William, most people consider it easier/best to assemble the inner fender to the fender and install them as an assembly..

Thats how i installed mine also

210Chevy
10-29-2021, 09:26 AM
timo, have you installed the inner fenders yet? ifn't could you make a video of that please?

timo pajala
10-30-2021, 11:51 AM
Heres my project Page thats entirely english. https://www.1957bel-air-restomod.com

timo pajala
10-30-2021, 11:56 AM
timo, have you installed the inner fenders yet? ifn't could you make a video of that please?

I have installed them few times etc. I put them together and installed then. Its also possible to install the radiator support first and then the inner fenders and after that the outer fenders

timo pajala
11-26-2021, 07:11 AM
Little More painting

https://youtu.be/s1B4nzl2ENo

Belair-o
11-26-2021, 09:05 AM
Hi Timo,
Great work on the paint job you did on those complexly shaped parts. That is a purty color!
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
11-26-2021, 07:09 PM
Hi Timo,
Great work on the paint job you did on those complexly shaped parts. That is a purty color!
Regards, Doug

Thanks!

timo pajala
12-23-2021, 05:35 AM
Little More progress

https://youtu.be/afzbubI3Vuw

BamaNomad
12-27-2021, 06:49 AM
We hope you enjoyed a good Christmas holiday also Timo! Seeing your progress in only a few months is very impressive, and all done in a crowded 1-car shop?

Did I understand that you laid up 5 layers of glass fiber and intend to do one more layer? How thick do you expect or desire those panels to be when finished?

timo pajala
12-27-2021, 10:14 AM
We hope you enjoyed a good Christmas holiday also Timo! Seeing your progress in only a few months is very impressive, and all done in a crowded 1-car shop?

Did I understand that you laid up 5 layers of glass fiber and intend to do one more layer? How thick do you expect or desire those panels to be when finished?

Thank you very much! The fiberglass is about 3-5mm thick when done. Im gonna put Steel reinforcement rods inside the box also. Gonna post video about those to when finished.

Car is going to paint shop in mid january so little bit fast timetable ;)

WagonCrazy
01-03-2022, 09:09 AM
Outstanding progress in 2021 Timo! You get my vote for member of the year on website, based on your overall project progress.
Kudos to you!
Onward to 2022. You'll be driving that tri5 soon.

markm
01-03-2022, 12:17 PM
You for sure get high marks in the quality of post department.

timo pajala
01-09-2022, 06:02 AM
Outstanding progress in 2021 Timo! You get my vote for member of the year on website, based on your overall project progress.
Kudos to you!
Onward to 2022. You'll be driving that tri5 soon.

Thank you very much sir! Really happy for the kind feedback!

timo pajala
01-09-2022, 06:03 AM
You for sure get high marks in the quality of post department.

Thanks you very much sir!

timo pajala
01-09-2022, 06:03 AM
Little More progress today and yesterday.

https://youtu.be/MpbokXJ-20Q

Belair-o
01-10-2022, 08:27 AM
Hi Timo,
Thanks for your posts as you continue your progress! Mid-January will be here quick - looking forward to seeing the painter's work.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
01-10-2022, 02:25 PM
Hi Timo,
Thanks for your posts as you continue your progress! Mid-January will be here quick - looking forward to seeing the painter's work.
Regards, Doug

Thank you very much! Yep i think mid january i have the car back from the painter, im now strugling with the rear brakes. I have the ford 9 rear with e brake and really soft pedal.

I think my piston is too far from the pads and disc and have to adjust those closer.

The manual says that i should remove the e brake lever nut and lever and put the nut back and rotate the nut until the piston comes out enough to make contact to the disc and pads.

Can i just rotate the piston instead of removing the lever and gasket from the e brake?

timo pajala
01-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Im really strugling with my brakes. Front banjo bolts leak even when tightened really Hard.

BamaNomad
01-23-2022, 09:07 AM
Timo? Are you using copper washers?

55 Rescue Dog
01-23-2022, 10:00 AM
^^^and you need 2, one on each side of the banjo. Try new ones also if they have been crushed.

timo pajala
01-23-2022, 11:17 AM
Timo? Are you using copper washers?

Yes copper washers and New ones. Gonna by new set tomorrow and try again. Damn those are Hard to get leak free :(

BamaNomad
01-23-2022, 07:22 PM
Timo, try tightening.. then back off a bit, then tighten again...

timo pajala
01-23-2022, 09:56 PM
Timo, try tightening.. then back off a bit, then tighten again...

Okei. Gonna try that :)

Tabasco
01-24-2022, 06:42 AM
I had the same problem with our brakes. I tried copper washers that came with the brake kit. Then I bought more copper washers at NAPA, Then I went to the Chevy dealer and got new ones from there. Nothing stopped the leak.

Someone online said to use Earls Performance Stato Seal Washers. Then someone online said they weren't able to be used for brakes. So I went to the Earls Performance website and sent an email asking if it would work with brakes. They answered that they never had a complaint from anyone using them for brakes. I haven't really driven it more than a few feet yet, but after two years there is no leak.

Earl's Performance 178007ERL - Earl's Performance Stat-O-Seals. I ordered them from Summit.

markm
01-24-2022, 06:50 AM
I have had issues with the washers that come with calipers myself, good info to know.

BamaNomad
01-24-2022, 07:20 AM
Here's what one fella says about crush washers (they need to be 'flattened').. even reuses his old ones after sanding with 220 grit paper...

https://youtu.be/gEngrr_ssss

He's talking about reusing crush washers, but if you're having difficulty achieving seal, maybe even try this with a new crush washer?

markm
01-24-2022, 07:28 AM
I have reused OEM ones with good sucess those that come with reman calipers are a crap shoot.

55 Rescue Dog
01-24-2022, 09:48 AM
I have reused them without issues before, but they do work-harden after they've been crushed, like aluminum drain plug washers do too and don't seal as good. I've been using the same drain plug washer for 20 oil changes of 200kmi even though some people replace them every time. They should not need to be super tight either. Just a little past snug.

timo pajala
01-24-2022, 10:40 AM
I bought aluminium washers instead and now the leak has stopped finally! I have disc disc master and for some reason i have much smaller fluid transfer to the back then to the front. Pedal goes about 2" when it starts to brake rear brakes.

I have been bleeding the rear brakes many times and i have No air in there.

Theres a burb of fluid at the front reservoir when i puh the brake pedal but not from the back reservoir. If i Release the brake pedal really fast it burbs on the rear reservoir but not when aplying the brake.

55 Rescue Dog
01-24-2022, 02:11 PM
There are many videos, but this is a simple good article on brake systems. One thing to keep in mind not normally considered is, that in a dual cylinder the primary piston needs to build pressure first in order to get the secondary piston to move, which could take some extra travel. since the pistons are connected in series, I wonder if it makes a difference as to whether the primary should be hooked to rear, or front brakes depending on which end builds pressure first? I guess I always hooked the primary to the rear since it is the rear port if it even makes a difference.
Especially on a disc/drum setup.

How Master Cylinders and Combination Valves Work | HowStuffWorks (https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/master-brake.htm)

markm
01-24-2022, 05:00 PM
On many disk drum masters the front pot is twice as big as rear, which leads me plumb that way.

timo pajala
01-25-2022, 12:49 AM
Mine builds pressure yo the fronts first so its ok,just somw air in the lines i think so rear ones start to move later but that might be correct way to the brake system to work.

timo pajala
01-26-2022, 12:08 PM
Quick update today. Been really busy with the car. O2 sensors in place, wrapped the powersteering lines with the sama nylon sock as all my other pipes in the engine bay. Also mocked wiring harness for cleaner look.

Installed my trans pcm and ecu in the firewall to the drivers side. Have to fab bracket for the fuse box and fasten the obd port somewhere.

timo pajala
01-31-2022, 07:47 AM
Quick update: been doing lots of wiring for few days and all my fans are wired so ac and cooling fans are ready to go. Also hooked mil light and tcc lock up wires for first start tomorrow. Radiator fluid is topped and also trans fluid and oil.

I hooked battery just little today so i could sen that i have No fuel leaks anywhere etc and No problems so far :)

I used the 3 reley system that gm uses also so fans have two speeds.

BamaNomad
01-31-2022, 02:50 PM
Sounds like you are about ready to fire up the engine? Will this be the first time You've ran it? new engine or used engine?

timo pajala
01-31-2022, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you are about ready to fire up the engine? Will this be the first time You've ran it? new engine or used engine?

First time i run it..used engine but totally rebuild here in finland with larger cam etc. The builder test run the engine and programmed the ecu for larger cam for decent idle but it needs dynotune to get it running good but thats for later

55 Rescue Dog
01-31-2022, 04:50 PM
My 05 5.3 $1000 junkyard motor after sitting for over 5 years sputtered for about 30 seconds, and just purred ever since.

timo pajala
01-31-2022, 07:25 PM
My engine was about 150k driven when shipped to finland. They also rebuild my 4l60e in the same time. I wanted them to be new so i dont have to rebuild them for Long time but the engine would have lasted long time even with out rebuild

timo pajala
02-01-2022, 02:54 PM
Well, first start today. I forgot to connect my intake pipe and of wrong amount of air in the engine. Really Hard start and engine died many times before i got it running, then i noticed a fuel leak underground the car so quickly turned the car of.

I have leaking fuelregulator and dont know how to stop it from leaking but gonna investigate it tomorrow.

Perhaps thats the reason it ran so poorly because the lack off fuel pressure etc.

55 Rescue Dog
02-01-2022, 03:04 PM
I recently bought a $50 fuel pressure gauge mostly because it would be a good thing to know, and easy to check when you have issues. I checked mine at 56 psi, so now I know what it should be when I need to check it.

timo pajala
02-01-2022, 03:28 PM
Thats good to own so you can check pressure when needed :)

timo pajala
02-03-2022, 10:53 AM
Well i have fuel pressure regulator holding pressure now and got the engine to start. Then i had wrong connector in the map sensor and loose cranck sensor pigtail so it run like crap. Gonna put the wiring tonorrow like it should and then new start :)

WagonCrazy
02-04-2022, 07:15 AM
Stay with it Timo. You are closer to driving it than you may be thinking...:cool:

timo pajala
02-06-2022, 04:40 AM
Yes i will stay with it for sure! Today my friend is coming over with hptuners so we will sen better whats happening with the car etc

timo pajala
02-09-2022, 09:43 AM
Problems seems to start to resolve. I got the car running byt with out the maf hooked, i cant get it chargin tho. I have lc9 engine with 105A truck alternator with two wires,Grey and Brown. I also connected my fan posite wires straight to alternator and wondering if thats not a good idea and have to remove them or not?

55 Rescue Dog
02-09-2022, 02:55 PM
No, the fan or anything else should not be connected to the alternator positive. The fan needs a relay connected to a separate main battery feed. On my LS I use a relay triggered on with a negative signal from the PCM, and the fan powered by the 30 amp contact directly fed off the main battery feed circuit.

timo pajala
02-09-2022, 08:58 PM
No, the fan or anything else should not be connected to the alternator positive. The fan needs a relay connected to a separate main battery feed. On my LS I use a relay triggered on with a negative signal from the PCM, and the fan powered by the 30 amp contact directly fed off the main battery feed circuit.

Yes i have the fans releys powered from the alternator positive, sorry for the wrong impression :) but im gonna move them from the alternator. Also gonna try if the alternator starts to charge if i feed 12v to the Grey wire and so on.

timo pajala
02-14-2022, 03:25 AM
Charging problems are gone finally! The alternator was bad even it was new one. I wired thru the L terminal thru alternator lamp. Also gonna wire the sense terminal to key on source when doing the final wiring. I have not enougf voltage in my wiring harness tho and need to use other methods to get the alt chargin..its now hooked straight to battery and thru alt light. I have only about 3-5v in the alternator plug

markm
02-14-2022, 08:29 AM
In today world when most stuff comes from China NEW is Never Ever Works.

timo pajala
02-14-2022, 11:11 AM
In today world when most stuff comes from China NEW is Never Ever Works.

Exactly!

timo pajala
02-21-2022, 12:48 PM
Well my maf problem is finally solved. My tuner dude tuned the maf for 3" pipe and i have 4" pipe so the values were wey off. It ran out of fuel and died. Now we have the idle to correct value but tuner is gonna write the entire maf all over the get it right. By wednesday it should be ready to run and respond good to gas pedal also.

I also started wiring the whole car, mounted the 21 fuse universal harness fuse box to my firewall and ran the rear wiring to the trunk etc.

Gonna post few videos soon

markm
02-21-2022, 01:05 PM
Not even sure I know what a maf is, still running as many as 3 carburators on my junk.

timo pajala
02-21-2022, 01:53 PM
Mass airflow meter. Basically same as looking for proper sized jets on carb sort of. I have been playing with ls engines for few years so they are familiar to me.

timo pajala
02-23-2022, 10:34 PM
I was about to do few videos about my progres but i got covid so gonna rest for few days. Yesterday my temp was about 39.2 degrees so onky sleeping and drinking Juice etc. Today morning body temp only 37.1 degrees so much better :)

BamaNomad
02-24-2022, 06:11 AM
Very sorry to hear you caught the virus, Timo, but it seems you're recovering already! Hope you continue to recover quickly and get back to your '57! :)

markm
02-24-2022, 07:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your virus, wishing you a speedy recovery. The good news is your thread will not be shut down for bring it up.

timo pajala
02-24-2022, 07:35 AM
Very sorry to hear you caught the virus, Timo, but it seems you're recovering already! Hope you continue to recover quickly and get back to your '57! :)

Thank you and yes im already recovering and i believe the worst is behind me!

timo pajala
02-24-2022, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your virus, wishing you a speedy recovery. The good news is your thread will not be shut down for bring it up.

Thank you very much and yes i think just a few days and il be on my feet again!

timo pajala
03-05-2022, 05:27 AM
Little update. My tuner managed to tune maf sensor for the idle. I torqued few oilpan bolts and oil leaks are finished. I also made package tray for my 6x9 speakers.

I tested my locks and they aro No go. Ignition switch key can be removed while the car is running etc so thats not good, door locks wont turn even after i soaked them in wd40 so gonna buy whole new set. Gonna test the ignition switch so i know that it will work..

Rick_L
03-05-2022, 06:30 AM
It is normal to be able to remove the key from the ignition switch with it in any position.

timo pajala
03-05-2022, 09:23 AM
Thank you very much! I just googled and found out the same thing :) well i now have working door locks also when the new lock set arrives so No harm done :)

busterwivell
03-05-2022, 11:36 AM
I had my new locks all keyed the same, so One key does every lock on my car.

55 Rescue Dog
03-05-2022, 03:12 PM
I don't know how you wired your ignition switch, but on mine with the original 55 switch I didn't think it was up to task for handling the extra current everything takes now. So, I wired it so all it has to do now is operate 2 low current relays. One for ignition/accessories on, another for the starter solenoid. I still remember when you could start 55-60 something Chevys without a key.

markm
03-05-2022, 05:11 PM
The same key fits both my 55 and 56 another fits all 5 trucks I own between 1946 and 1987.

timo pajala
03-06-2022, 01:10 AM
I don't know how you wired your ignition switch, but on mine with the original 55 switch I didn't think it was up to task for handling the extra current everything takes now. So, I wired it so all it has to do now is operate 2 low current relays. One for ignition/accessories on, another for the starter solenoid. I still remember when you could start 55-60 something Chevys without a key.

Thanks for the heads up with the current thing! Im gonna do the reley system also and go only minor voltage thru the ignition switch. Im gonna do the starter wire also with reley so it draws voltage thru battery and not the ignition switch. I think i might even do ground switch for the starter so ignition switch provides ground to the reley and not power etc

timo pajala
03-06-2022, 01:12 AM
I had my new locks all keyed the same, so One key does every lock on my car.

Thats the reason i wanted new lock set so one key fits all. Gonna start the wiring process today for my ignition switch and my neutral safety switch

timo pajala
03-06-2022, 01:14 AM
The same key fits both my 55 and 56 another fits all 5 trucks I own between 1946 and 1987.

Thats not good if the same key fits all these cars and trucks :)

timo pajala
03-06-2022, 04:56 AM
I wired my ignition switch so it operates the relays control side and draws power straight thru battery, also wired the releys ground thru neutral safety switch so you can start the car only in Park.

markm
03-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Thats not good if the same key fits all these cars and trucks :)

It took a lot of trips to the locksmith to make this happen.

timo pajala
03-07-2022, 06:15 AM
It took a lot of trips to the locksmith to make this happen.

Ok now i get it :)

timo pajala
03-10-2022, 10:37 AM
I managed to wire the whole ignition switch thru two releys today. So No big currents going thru ignition switch anymore, only the control current for the releys. Gonna continue tomorrow the wiring Job.

timo pajala
04-18-2022, 05:30 AM
Little More progres
https://youtu.be/_VROTi4i70s

WagonCrazy
04-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Great progress you've made here Timo! Wiring is a challenge no doubt, especially when you've got a more modern build in mind. Relays are good..I used a bunch of them in my Nomad when I wired it up too.

Only 3 weeks for the painter? That is quick. Almost too quick possibly. But kudo's to you if you can get it done that quickly.

This car will be on the road soon. Summer's coming...stay at it.

timo pajala
04-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Great progress you've made here Timo! Wiring is a challenge no doubt, especially when you've got a more modern build in mind. Relays are good..I used a bunch of them in my Nomad when I wired it up too.

Only 3 weeks for the painter? That is quick. Almost too quick possibly. But kudo's to you if you can get it done that quickly.

This car will be on the road soon. Summer's coming...stay at it.

Thank you very much! I made new deal with my painter and gonna do his Challenger a engine swap at the same time his painting my car. He has 69 challenger i think. Yes the wiring is a pain to do but a must if you want everything working good etc

BamaNomad
04-19-2022, 08:06 AM
If it's a '69, it's not a challenger, since 1970 was the first year for Chellenger badge... maybe a '69 Cuda?

note: GOOD PAINT warrantee.... Don't give him his car back until you are happy with the paint on your '57... :)

busterwivell
04-19-2022, 08:20 AM
or a Charger?

timo pajala
04-19-2022, 11:15 AM
or a Charger?

It was charger yep

timo pajala
04-19-2022, 11:16 AM
If it's a '69, it's not a challenger, since 1970 was the first year for Chellenger badge... maybe a '69 Cuda?

note: GOOD PAINT warrantee.... Don't give him his car back until you are happy with the paint on your '57... :)

Yep! He knows the paint has to be good. Its also 4 stage paint so it has to be really good

timo pajala
04-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Well car left for the paint Job and painter gave me extra Job
https://youtu.be/q8FSUl2OeWs