PDA

View Full Version : Vin Number

Michaelmotorcycle
09-10-2020, 06:00 PM
So I came across a 56 Nomad posted in Craigslist & also on ebay that has the vin of a 210. I brought this up with the seller and the seller claimed the Nomad came from Missouri and now has the car's CA title is in his name w/the provided vin VB56S102080. I hesitated on getting the Nomad and wanted to get some insight from any of you if you are aware of a plant that made Nomads with 210 vin numbers. I am leary of purchasing the 56 Nomad and then finding out there is another vin stamped into the frame (when changing the floorpans). To my knowledge, if I find another vin on the Nomad and report the issue, I believe they might arrest me for buying stolen property. Again, any insight is appreciated.

The ebay listing ended the other day. Here is the Craigslist post:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/madera-1956-chevy-nomad-quarter-panel/7179492299.html

BamaNomad
09-10-2020, 06:27 PM
They wouldn't arrest you, unless you actually had something to do with the theft, or KNEW it was stolen, BUT they would/could take the car away from you (and you get NOTHING in return).. so you lost your money and investment at that point.

If you want a Nomad, find a REAL ONE. that one doesn't have a VIN on it (not for a Nomad), so someone has removed the Nomad/BelAir VIN plate and installed one from a 210... NO SUCH THING as a 210 Nomad! :) ... and it doesn't matter one whit where it came from.. :)

RUN from that one.. don't even slow down!

Michaelmotorcycle
09-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Thanks BamaNomad! Something of a coincidence, but I just realized there is another Nomad (1957) w/ 210 vin that has been posted on ebay by a dealer! It is all done and really nice, but, I know the vin is wrong and I can't proceed having the thought in the back of my mind that the car may have been stolen.

BamaNomad
09-11-2020, 05:14 AM
When I was looking for a '56 Nomad in 2014, I came across one also that had a 210 VIN plate on it - I alerted the owner/advertiser (actually I think it was an agent at that time), but didn't follow it up to see if they corrected it. The one you've come across may be the same car??? I don't recall details of the car I saw...

Michaelmotorcycle
09-11-2020, 04:03 PM
When I was looking for a '56 Nomad in 2014, I came across one also that had a 210 VIN plate on it - I alerted the owner/advertiser (actually I think it was an agent at that time), but didn't follow it up to see if they corrected it. The one you've come across may be the same car??? I don't recall details of the car I saw...

I emailed the CA DMV regarding the 1956 Nomad titled with the 1956 Chevrolet 210 Vin that is currently posted for sale and let them know I was interested in buying the car until I identified the obvious invalid 1956 Chevrolet 210 vin number.

BamaNomad
09-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Very good Michaelmotorcycle, although with my impression of the state of Calif, they probably won't do anything unless they think they can collect citizens $$$ from it....?

padillat56
11-23-2020, 03:40 PM
Hello,
Might I ask what is a Vin with a 210?? What does the 210 mean?? I have a 56 Nomad, that I am struggling to find the VIN number for. I bought the car over 20 years ago, and just now started to work on it, but cant locate the VIN number. I checked the driver side door frame, I cut a couple pieces in the floor near the frame in hopes of finding it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Rick_L
11-23-2020, 04:48 PM
The VIN number will be on a stainless steel plate on the driver side front door jamb.

It will have a sequence like VC56xnnnnnnn. The V is a designation for a V8 engine, if it was a 6 that place in the sequence would be missing. C is for a Bel Air, and all Nomads are Bel Airs. If it had a B there, that would be for a 210 model, and if it had A, that would be for a 150 model. Since there were no 210 Nomads, that's a red flag, as the VIN wouldn't be for that Nomad, but for a 210. 56 is for the model year.

The x is a letter designating where the car was made, and nnnnnn is a unique sequence for that assembly plant for that year model. The VIN stamped on the frame under the driver seat is a partial number - it begins with the assembly plant letter.

padillat56
11-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I have looked from the engine as far back as I could on the frame. Front, top, bottom, and sides. There is no plate in the door jamb. I cant find the VIN number.

BamaNomad
11-23-2020, 09:10 PM
Did you get a bill of sale when you purchased the car? To uniquely identify the vehicle you purchased, the BOS should have a VIN identified on it, and that same number should be on the car's VIN (or serial plate)..

567chevys
11-23-2020, 09:22 PM
This Might help

Thanks Sid