PDA

View Full Version : 57 Chevy Pickup Project

57fleetside
09-13-2020, 05:52 AM
Hi All, Just starting on this project and will take a couple of years at least. I bought this truck started but needs a complete budy off. This will be a restomod. Right now it has C4 suspension front and rear with a LT1/4L60E which will be replaced with a LS 6.0/4L80E. It also has a 58/9 Fleetside box instead of the stepside box. I do most of my own work but don't sew the seats. I will try and update this thread as I go along. The only thing I ahve done so far is take all the lights/Grille and bumpers off. I am doing a lot of planning though. Will post some pics when I figure out how to. Thanks Steve

Belair-o
09-13-2020, 06:06 AM
Hi 57fleetside!
Welcome! I look forward to your build posts - sounds like a fair amount of work has been done, with the C4 suspension setup. Looking forward to your pics (there are helps on how to post pics at the top of the forum listings).
Doug

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-13-2020, 06:28 AM
sounds good, looking forward to pics Steve.

57fleetside
09-13-2020, 07:40 PM
I think my pictures are to big. Will have to resize them. Thanks for the suggestion. Steve

Hi 57fleetside!
Welcome! I look forward to your build posts - sounds like a fair amount of work has been done, with the C4 suspension setup. Looking forward to your pics (there are helps on how to post pics at the top of the forum listings).
Doug

BamaNomad
09-14-2020, 05:22 AM
Regarding 'image size', there are really two issues:

1) # of pixels (horiz and vert) in the image. This parameter is what makes the image go beyond the actual screen size. HDTV screens are usually from 1280x720 ranging up to 1920x1080 pixels, so any 'pixel size' beyond these will be larger than the display device.

2) File Size (# of bytes in the image file on your computer). Generally if a software system tells you the image is too large, it's the file size the software has problems with. Some of the automobile enthusiast sites I go to limit 'file sizes' to 300 kilobytes in size.

If the image is NOT compressed, there is a direct correllation between the two parameters above, but for compressed images there can be large differences in the two. Most of us use JPEG compression (filename.jpg) for our image files to save space on our computer disks, and for these files you can use 'free software' which works very good. One such software that I use is called 'Light Image Resizer' which works very well and very quickly and can 'size' both of the parameters above. You can download it for free here.

https://download.cnet.com/Light-Image-Resizer/3000-12511_4-10529104.html

57fleetside
09-14-2020, 06:28 AM
Regarding 'image size', there are really two issues:

1) # of pixels (horiz and vert) in the image. This parameter is what makes the image go beyond the actual screen size. HDTV screens are usually from 1280x720 ranging up to 1920x1080 pixels, so any 'pixel size' beyond these will be larger than the display device.

2) File Size (# of bytes in the image file on your computer). Generally if a software system tells you the image is too large, it's the file size the software has problems with. Some of the automobile enthusiast sites I go to limit 'file sizes' to 300 kilobytes in size.

If the image is NOT compressed, there is a direct correllation between the two parameters above, but for compressed images there can be large differences in the two. Most of us use JPEG compression (filename.jpg) for our image files to save space on our computer disks, and for these files you can use 'free software' which works very good. One such software that I use is called 'Light Image Resizer' which works very well and very quickly and can 'size' both of the parameters above. You can download it for free here.

https://download.cnet.com/Light-Image-Resizer/3000-12511_4-10529104.html

Thank You very much for the link. Here are the pics of my project. I will try and post as I go along. Steve

Dualfours
09-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Good looking truck project. Just a suggestion but if interested you might also check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com website. That website was a BIG help when I restored my '71 Chevy 4x4. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks there. Used parts from members and new parts from various vendors. If your interested, I have an original 1957 Chevrolet Owner's and Operator's manual. Good luck with the build.

57fleetside
09-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Will check it out. Steve

Good looking truck project. Just a suggestion but if interested you might also check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com) website. That website was a BIG help when I restored my '71 Chevy 4x4. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks there. Used parts from members and new parts from various vendors. If your interested, I have an original 1957 Chevrolet Owner's and Operator's manual. Good luck with the build.

Belair-o
09-15-2020, 06:16 AM
Great project! Loved the shot with the grill in, looks great!
Regards, Doug

57fleetside
09-16-2020, 06:32 AM
Thank You....This will be a 2 year project I hope. Will really get started on it as the weather gets colder. Steve

Great project! Loved the shot with the grill in, looks great!
Regards, Doug

BamaNomad
09-16-2020, 09:26 AM
:) Good luck on your '2-yr project schedule'... :) Mine always turn into 5-yr projects (when I stay at it), or even longer when I get distracted to another vehidle...

57fleetside
09-17-2020, 05:01 AM
Being retired I can work a little more on it than when I was working 55 hours a week. It could go longer than 2 but hope not. I almost have the starting plan for this truck which will start this weekend. Steve

:) Good luck on your '2-yr project schedule'... :) Mine always turn into 5-yr projects (when I stay at it), or even longer when I get distracted to another vehidle...

57fleetside
09-21-2020, 06:29 AM
Hi, Made some progress this weekend. Got the truck pretty stripped down. Got the hood, doors, seat, colume,cluster and pedal assembly removed. Now to start patching up the cab. Someone put a cab step on top of the cab step so have to tear that out and replace the cab step,lower hinge area, front cab mounts, front floor sections and inner cab corners. I anyone has done any of this and has any hints it would be greatly appreciated. Some progess pics. Steve

Belair-o
09-22-2020, 09:21 AM
57Fleetside, Your truck looks like it is in great shape. Looks good on mostly avoiding rust? Loved the first shot thru the big front window opening, kind of like your truck was parked inside your house. You shop looks most excellent!
Regards, Doug

57fleetside
09-23-2020, 06:41 AM
Thank You, I do have some rust to deal with but should not be to bad. I will really get into it once it gets colder out. Steve

57Fleetside, Your truck looks like it is in great shape. Looks good on mostly avoiding rust? Loved the first shot thru the big front window opening, kind of like your truck was parked inside your house. You shop looks most excellent!
Regards, Doug

WagonCrazy
09-23-2020, 07:45 AM
With the C4 suspension setup, that truck will drive like a slot car! Nice. I may do that same setup with my 59 fleetside too...
There's a vendor called Flat Out Engineering that sells the weld in kit for C4 retrofit to these trucks. www.flatout-engineering.com
Have any idea who's kit your truck was modified with?

57fleetside
09-23-2020, 02:50 PM
WagonCrazy, He uses the corvette front K member and made up the rest of the pieces for the rear. Hr doesn't use a store bought kit. He has done many of these. I hope it handles nice. Steve

With the C4 suspension setup, that truck will drive like a slot car! Nice. I may do that same setup with my 59 fleetside too...
There's a vendor called Flat Out Engineering that sells the weld in kit for C4 retrofit to these trucks. www.flatout-engineering.com (http://www.flatout-engineering.com)
Have any idea who's kit your truck was modified with?

BamaNomad
09-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Corvette Correction (Seguin, TX) is the company I obtained my updated '57 chassis from for my Nomad. He uses rebuilt C4 suspensions, brakes, and RnP steering racks. He began by doing approximately 250 of these for early Corvettes, then expanded to TriFive Chevys, later model Corvettes (C2-C3), and now provides them for '43-72 chevy pickup trucks...

https://www.corvettecorrection.com/chevy-trucks-43-to-72

He will sell you the Frame (setup for your body and c4 parts), or the complete 'almost ready to roll' chassis - just add your wheels/tires. He also has done complete restorations of C1, C2 Corvettes and TriFives if that is what is wanted (but I'm not sure he's doing that for Trucks as yet?)... Billy Dawson is the owner and is a great guy... Call him.. :)

57fleetside
09-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Couple more progress pictures. I knew someone and put a cabstep on top of the original cabstep but have to fix that. Got the top step off and started to make my patch patterns for the ones no one makes. Here are the pics

57fleetside
10-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Well I think I have uncovered all the bad stuff so the rebild begins. Made up what patches I needed that were not reproduced. I did not want to replace the wholw floor and firewal so ptching up what I got. The trans tunnel already had been nicely modified so wanted to leave that. Pulled the LT1 and 4L60E out. So got the drivers side plenum patched and patched the right rear floor brace. waiting on "B" pillar panels and the cab steps came in wrong as I got two left side steps. Here are some pics. Steve

57fleetside
10-29-2020, 05:27 AM
A little more progress on the 57 pickup. Engine and transmission arrived and will have to test fit soon as everything looks close eye balling it with a tape measure. I think I have all the bad stuff on the cab uncovered now. The last thing I discovered is whoever put the cab corners in put them in to high. The cab step is 1/2" lower than the cab corner so will have to replace them to. I have all the metal and think I will be ok but have to take the bed off first. Here are some pics of whats going on.

57fleetside
12-22-2020, 05:35 AM
Some more progress on my 57 Pickup project. Got the metal work done on the right side of the cab (other than finishing the welds). My welding skills are not the best but it is solid. The door fits really good for one of these trucks and the rest looks good. Working on the drivers side now. I am in no hurry but coming along good. Once I get all the metal work done on the cab I am going to mock up the engine,trans and the front fenders to see where I am at. Then off to get sandblasted and epoxy primed before bodywork. Here are some pics of the progress. Steve

57fleetside
12-22-2020, 05:37 AM
Couple more pictures.

MP&C
12-22-2020, 09:33 AM
Steve, be sure to check the bottom side of the A pillars (in the bend) as these are commonly a collection point for dust, water from condensation in the roof, and then rust.. Nice project!

WagonCrazy
12-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Stay with it man. You're in the hardest part. It all goes together nicely after this.

57fleetside
12-23-2020, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up Robert. They have surface rust but seem solid. I had to draw the line somewhere on replacement of sheet metal. It should be a real solid truck when done. Want a real solid driver that I can go anywhere with. Steve

Steve, be sure to check the bottom side of the A pillars (in the bend) as these are commonly a collection point for dust, water from condensation in the roof, and then rust.. Nice project!

57fleetside
12-23-2020, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. Still a lot to do but getting the cab done would be a great start. I wish the aftermarket sheet metal fit better. Every piece is a adventure but getting through it. This should be a fun truck when done. Steve

Stay with it man. You're in the hardest part. It all goes together nicely after this.

57fleetside
01-18-2021, 06:15 AM
some more progress on the 57 pickup project. I did the left side cab step, lower A and B pillar, inner cab corner, outer cab corner, floor section and cab mount. Also test fit the LS 6.0 and 4L80E trans which fits perfect waiting on a second set of headers as the first set were going to take a lot to make fit. Test fitting the front fenders, grille and inner panels while waiting for the headers. Steve

timo pajala
01-20-2021, 07:27 PM
Cool project! Keep going :)