PDA

View Full Version : AXLE LENGTH

Dave the Wave
09-14-2020, 02:55 AM
have factory rear in my `57, with a posi. are the axle lengths the same for a non-posi rear? going on a long trip, would like to change center sections for the trip. thanx!

BamaNomad
09-14-2020, 05:35 AM
From what I've read, that depends on factors you haven't provided in your post. Depends upon whether your rear end/differential was updated from a non-posi to a posi in the past. When doing that, it is generally required to cut ~ 1/4" off the ends of the axles, so... Are axles in your rear shortened for that or not? Is your differential an original posi from Chevrolet? or not?

Dave the Wave
09-14-2020, 03:30 PM
factory posi. are they cut? if you need to have them cut for a posi, then i guess they were. do non-psi axles fit in a posi? if not, i guess they were cut. one is shorter than the other.

Rick_L
09-14-2020, 03:57 PM
If your car came with a posi, the axles are 1/8" shorter than with an open differential. The driver side axle is shorter than the passenger side.

With axles correct for a posi, you can put either a posi or non-posi center section in the car and use the same axles.

Dave the Wave
09-14-2020, 05:12 PM
thanx, that`s what i wanted to know.,,,,,,ok,, rick L. from the other forum?

Dragsix
09-15-2020, 07:47 AM
Dave, if the rear is an original 57 posi assembly, and by that I mean that particular differential housing, center section and axles, are original posi pieces, then the axles that were installed at the factory were shortened a bit (1/16-1/8) so that the ends of the axles would not bump the posi cross shafts in the dana 44 posi and break them. Open rear 57s got the slightly longer standard axles. This difference ended for the 58 model year and so for 58 and up all of the axles are the same length and can be used in either open or posi rears.

Now, to install a Dana 44 style posi in a rear assembly that originally was an open rear, you need to shorten the axles. One way to tell, there is a raised area on the end of the standard open axles where the splines end. If that bump is present, you have unmodified axles and will need to grind that down. Posi axles for 57s are pretty rare as the posi option was not offered until a bit later in the production,maybe like December 56, so three months into 11 month production. I just did that very thing this past weekend when we installed my son's posi into his 57 rear.

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 12:53 AM
hey there, Drag 6, thanx for the info, it`s me, "HDDUDE", upthe road from you.

Dragsix
09-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Hey there my friend! Like I noted, Patrick and I just shortened his axles for the 4 door sedan he is working on. If you post a photo of the ends of the axles, I can probably tell if they have been shortened. Like I said, real posi axles for a 57 are pretty rare. In fact, in the 43 years I have been messing with these cars, I have never had in my hands, or for that matter, even seen, a real 57 posi axle.

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 10:25 AM
these are moser`s, made for `57 posi

Dragsix
09-17-2020, 06:35 PM
You have the same axles that I have then. You can run them for the posi or the open rear, no issues. But for anyone who has stock axles, see the little raised area above the splines, You grind that down flat and dress the sharp edges down and you are all set to use them with a Dana 44 style stock posi.

dont go further, the original design of the Two piece Posi side gears will not get enough spline if you cut more. If you are running the newer style reproduction one piece posi side gears the amount you cut is not so critical.

http://www.trifivechevys.com/blob:http://www.trifivechevys.com/47a27b74-b533-4dd1-b026-3949afc18714

Dragsix
09-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Here is a comparison of the side gears. Ok, having issues getting a photo to upload.

Dave the Wave
09-18-2020, 07:37 AM
try to load again.

Dragsix
09-18-2020, 08:48 PM
I just tried again. I can’t seem to get a photo uploaded. And it looks like I have 25 photos in my library? And I can get rid of the icons. What a bummer.

BamaNomad
09-19-2020, 05:59 AM
How are you trying to insert photos, Mike? Are you getting some kind of error message? or ?? There are a couple of ways to load images here... while not as easy as the other site now, we still have options here to do it.

Dragsix
09-19-2020, 06:29 PM
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried uploading like I usually do out of my library using the paper clip icon but the photo never seems to appear after uploading. I hit manage attachments, browse my photos, pick one, hit done, it appears, I hit upload, and then it disappears. Let me try again.

still can’t get it to appear.

bama, what are my options for posting photos?

BamaNomad
09-19-2020, 09:11 PM
11338In addition to the 'paper clip' icon, you can also use the 'insert image' option, and choose the image from your computer or from a URL.

You don't have to 'go advanced' to use this one... The icon is between the 'unlink' and the 'insert video' icons.

Dave the Wave
09-20-2020, 02:32 PM
how `bout those side gears?

Tabasco
09-21-2020, 05:54 AM
I was having a problem uploading pictures to the site. It would go through the motions as if they were uploading but the pictures would not show. I finally resized the pictures to a smaller size and they worked okay. I now routinely resize my pics before uploading.

BamaNomad
09-21-2020, 07:51 AM
You're right Tabasco... for someone using their 'iphone' as their camera, a 'selling point' for phones recently (last few years) has been HOW LARGE an image can it collect!.. has nothing to do with the phone features, but the cheap sensors they put into the phone cameras get larger each year (ie more pixels and probably more dead ones). Anyway, any of those images are WAY OVERKILL in terms of pixels and file size than necessary (which is why I made a post a few days ago trying to explain to everyone about 'image size, horiz and vert' versus file size (megabytes). If you're posting an image to a site such as this for display on other's screens at their home, every image you post Should be: JPEG, and no larger than a few hundred kilobytes in size. If it's not JPEG it's probably not going to pass the tests the software makes for inclusion. if it's megabytes in file size, then it will a long time to load, and may not pass their criterion either.

JPEG images of 100-200 Kbytes (file size) or so is about right for posting images here or other websites...

Dragsix
09-21-2020, 08:58 PM
I have tried everything. Whatever I have done, I can’t post any photos. Any chance anyone knows one of the administrators? Maybe one of the administrators can take a look at my log in and see if they See anything out of wack.

BamaNomad
09-22-2020, 04:51 AM
Mike: How about trying an image which you have successfully posted here previously (as a test)? What is the file size and format type of the images you've attempted unsuccessfully to post?

Dragsix
09-22-2020, 06:33 AM
No bigger then any of the other photos I have posted here, including the earlier photos in this thread. The one odd thing is that in the manage photos area I have 25 icons I cant seem to get rid of. Maybe that is preventing the addition of new photos.

BamaNomad
09-22-2020, 07:56 PM
Mike, email me the image you could not post. My email is: gdwylie@knology.net

I will attempt posting it and/or determine why it won't post.

Gary

Dragsix
09-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Email sent. I appreciate whatever you can do.

BamaNomad
09-23-2020, 03:31 PM
I'm going to display here the two images that Mike has had problems getting to display...

Mike sent me these two files which were 4032 x 3024 pixels h/v, and over 4 MBytes and 3Mbytes in size. The image sizes are much too large for anyone's computer screen! and the file sizes are much larger than most websites are going to take.

I used "Light Image Resizer" (available for free download via the web) to reduce the images to 2000 x 1000 roughly (still large but I wanted to demonstrate that). The resulting file sizes are ~ 500 Kbytes each. The image files that I typically download to a website are generally 1000x750 pixels and generally LESS than 500 kbytes (even 75-100 Kbytes jpeg file display very nicely).

If Mike (Dragsix) attempts to post the resized photos I sent him back, I believe he will be successful.

Dragsix
09-24-2020, 07:21 AM
I will give it a try. The strange thing is these are the same size photos that I have been posting here in the past and they posted just fine. Then all of the sudden, could not post. I will give it a try tonight.

In the mean time, for anyone interested in the axle issues with a posi, the side gear set on the left in each photo is a stock set. Two piece, both pieces splined. So in order to get enough axle splines to the gear itself, the axle has to be long enough but not so long as to bump the cross shafts. So that is the reason for being precise with how much you cut off the 55-57 axle ends. Too much of a cut and you leave an insufficient length of splines to engage the gear which leads to the splines twisting and the axles breaking. Also, this two piece design requires a special tool or a pair of cut off axles splines to align the splines as you are tightening the case halves together. Failure to get the splines aligned will prevent the axles from installing.

The set that is to the right in each photo is an aftermarket Yukon Gear set and is designed and machined a little differently then the stock set. The cup part is now splined directly to the gear and the gear is now designed to accept the full length of the splines instead of just a partial amount. Its a much stronger and improved design. Also, because the aftermarket deign is a one piece design with respect to the axles splines so to speak, you do not need any special tools or cut off axles because there is nothing to align.

Dragsix
09-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Different photo, looks like it might post.

if you look carefully, you will see this is a set of original side gears and a slight mismatch of the splines When my son put it together. He did not have the axle stub far enough to engage and align both sets of splines. If we had actually installed this, we would not have been able to get the axle in a spud would have had to tear it out and redo the entire affair. You can also see how cutting too much of the axle end off might leave the actual drive part of the posi Side gear lacking in spline engagement.

Dave the Wave
09-25-2020, 01:50 AM
thank you!