PDA

View Full Version : REAR AXLE BEARING RETAINING RING

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 12:51 AM
when replacing rear axle bearings, does that "ring" get broken, can it be reused? i just had a set of axle bearings pressed on new "moser" axles, and they have them on backwards. hopefully you can buy them seperate ?,,,,,,,the bearing doesn`t get ruined does it?

BamaNomad
09-17-2020, 06:35 AM
Isn't the shop that did the work responsible for their error?

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 09:23 AM
you`re right bama! but they keep telling me, getting heated, that they are correct. these are `55`s. the bearing has one side sealed. the other, like indented seal with a spring in a circle, keeps it tight on the axle. the "O" ring goes in a little farther on the bearing, they say the O ring always goes closest to the wheel, not with 55 and 56, as you well know, i`m sure. the `57`s stand alone. anyway, it`s MOSER axles, called moser, they can send me 2. BTW, it`s me, HDDUDE, from over there! thanx!

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 09:24 AM
and, the bearing does`nt get ruined, does it?

Rick_L
09-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Sometimes the lock ring gets chiseled off. Sometimes the bearing is damaged pressing it off. But if it's on backwards, you don't have much choice but to try fix it and save it.

Dave the Wave
09-17-2020, 10:23 AM
yea, i know, thanx

Dave the Wave
09-18-2020, 02:29 AM
man, i hope those bearings get saved!

Dragsix
09-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Moser did the same thing to my 57 axles. Installed NOS GM bearings on backwards. I bit the bullet and obtained another set of NOS bearings but this time I sent explicit instructions and photos so they would get it right the second time. For you, to remove the bearings, you have to split the ring (see the shop manual) and remove the ring separately if you want any chance at getting the bearings off in tact. If you press the bearing off with the ring, the bearing should not be re used. Now the bigger issue, you cant buy just replacement rings. They have been unavailable for quite a few years. One alternative, press off the bearings and rings from the original axles without messing with the rings. Once you have the old rings, you cant use them as is but you can install them with a press to get them tight against the bearing, then put a couple of small tack welds ring to axle.

Dave the Wave
09-19-2020, 03:16 PM
bingo, the new collars arrived, and they are the correct size, 1.377 i.d. now as long as they can remove the bearing without ruining it! look out come monday!

Dragsix
09-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Dave, where it the world did you find replacement rings?

Dave the Wave
09-20-2020, 01:43 AM
well, long story here. i`ll buy ya a beer if you name someone i did`nt get in touch with. anyway, told my story to "moser", where the axles came from, they sent them. $15 for both. talking to an old timer yesterday, he said they were always available thru napa, but ya had to look them up a certain way.

Dave the Wave
09-21-2020, 01:04 PM
well, long story short, the knuckleheads heard me out, showed them my paperwork, original installation instructions from BCA, TIMKEN, they said absolutely! TAH-DAH!

BamaNomad
09-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Good luck on the replacement Dave.. :)

Dragsix
09-21-2020, 09:03 PM
I used to be able to get them through Napa years ago, just not within the last 10 or 12 years. Scarce, really scarce.

Dave the Wave
09-29-2020, 03:19 AM
well, picked up the axles, told them i paid $30 forthe new collars, "should have told us first". so, that`s the end of that shop! like they did`nt know ya break then to get them off.

Dragsix
09-29-2020, 07:21 AM
Its seems like that is the way it is these days. With this old stuff, if you don't leave them with specific written directions, it comes back wrong. All of the old timers are gone so its up to us now to know what to do. For example, original 57 14 inch rims, you have the mount the tires face down or you bend the rim trying to get them on face up. I purchased a Sum distributor machine because the man I use to use to rebuild my six cylinder distributors retired so now I do then myself.