PDA

View Full Version : Door weather strip

busterwivell
09-16-2020, 04:08 PM
I've looked at my CCI Tech book and Danchuk weatherstrip instructions. Getting ready to remove the door weather strip and it's attached with adhesive. I know that will be an ugly job. My question, it looks like it is possible to install it "backwards"? I don't see the correct way. Anyone care to give me some guidance?

Rick_L
09-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Both CCI Tech Book and Danchuk have diagrams to show orientation of the weatherstrip. So dig around in your stuff, you probably have it. Danchuk's may be on their website, but hard to find.

BamaNomad
09-16-2020, 07:04 PM
3M's Adhesive Remover works very well to remove the adhesive residue ...

busterwivell
09-17-2020, 03:30 AM
Both CCI Tech Book and Danchuk have diagrams to show orientation of the weatherstrip. So dig around in your stuff, you probably have it. Danchuk's may be on their website, but hard to find.
I've printed out Danchuk's, it explains how, but can you put it on backwards? Seems so. If CCI covers it, I must not have the complete set, I can't find door weather strip in it at all.

Tabasco
09-17-2020, 05:52 AM
Yes you can put it on backwards.
Here is a picture and instructions on how they should go. https://www.eastcoastchevy.com/X6tech/tech_weatherstrip.html

busterwivell
09-17-2020, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Tabasco, guess what Monday's project is? Bama, thanks for the tip. I have a can of it in my shop. I don't know how old the stuff is on my doors, but I know for sure it's over 30 years.

55mike
09-19-2020, 08:17 PM
In the FWIW category... make sure you pre-fit carefully around the hinges.. it's easy to get the weather strip on the wrong side. This I know from experience!

I'll also add, let the adhesive tack-over on both the rubber and the metal before you press the rubber on... and too much adhesive will not stick any better.

BamaNomad
09-19-2020, 09:18 PM
Today I installed my 'custom' upper liftgate W/S retainer and installed the upper liftgate weatherstrip. Shortly I will be removing my tailgate to install the lower tailgate weatherstrip, and also am soon to do my door weatherstrips - I'm going to TRY to do those without removing the doors, but I want to do them before I install the front clip (which makes it even more difficult)...

3M Black Super weatherstrip adhesive is a good, but messy friend, and having the 3M adhesive remover on hand helps with cleanup (but tar and grease remover also works)...

busterwivell
09-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Tabasco and Bama..........weatherstrips are on. I see what people mean about how much easier it is with the doors off! Took quite a while to get the clips in the holes on the front side of the door, but it can be done.