PDA

View Full Version : raingear install in 1957

timo pajala
10-02-2020, 04:39 AM
Hi. im doing firewall recess on my car and wondering that should i install raingear first so everything fits right? does the raingear bolt on with out removing the dash? I understood that the dash is welded in in 1957 models?

Belair-o
10-02-2020, 06:14 AM
Hi Timo Pajala,
You are absolutely correct, the dash is welded in, but some builders have taken the steps to cut the dash welds and modify the dash so is a bolt-in. I would think regardless, it would be wise to check the raingear fit, so you take any restrictions to your firewall recess into account.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
10-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Hi Timo Pajala,
You are absolutely correct, the dash is welded in, but some builders have taken the steps to cut the dash welds and modify the dash so is a bolt-in. I would think regardless, it would be wise to check the raingear fit, so you take any restrictions to your firewall recess into account.
Regards, Doug

Do you know that can the raingear be installed with out removing the dash?

WagonCrazy
10-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Do you know that can the raingear be installed with out removing the dash?

Yes it can. But you'll be laying on your back to do it. Remove the front seat, remove the AC/heater box, etc. Going to need room to reach up in there to do it.

timo pajala
10-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Yes it can. But you'll be laying on your back to do it. Remove the front seat, remove the AC/heater box, etc. Going to need room to reach up in there to do it.

Thanks for the info! Not gonna remove the dash if thats on option. If theres rust issues then gonna be removing it.

Belair-o
10-03-2020, 07:28 AM
Hi Timo,
FWIW - When I installed Raingear in my 57, I found the arm that connects the two wiper shafts interfered with the magnet on the front speaker. I searched online, and bought the shallowest speaker I could find, and still had to do some grinding on the arm to get clearance. It is good to do test fitting of aftermarket parts before assembly goes too far, as a number of parts on my build have required tweaking. BTW, if you do run into issues with your Raingear install, the company stands behind their products, and are wonderful people to deal with; they provided great phone support.
Regards, Doug

timo pajala
10-03-2020, 09:16 AM
BTW, if you do run into issues with your Raingear install, the company stands behind their products, and are wonderful people to deal with; they provided great phone support.
Regards, Doug

Thanks for the tip! Ill give them a call if having trouble with the istall :)