PDA

View Full Version : AAW Classic Update Wiring Kit for 1957 ...

BamaNomad
11-07-2020, 05:23 AM
For people that's installed the AAW classic update kit previously, Did you locate the AAW fuse Panel in the recommended location (basically where the original was located), OR did you find/try a better location??

markm
11-07-2020, 03:58 PM
My 56 stock box stock location 55 has mostly stock wiring with updated box, had to move due to Rainngear.

BamaNomad
11-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Can you explain that a little better, Mark??? You lost me.. but I'm probably being dense.. :)

markm
11-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Raingear is designed to bolt where the stock fuse box attaches on a 55/56. I have no clue about a 57.

BamaNomad
11-07-2020, 05:38 PM
thanks for explaining Mark... I didn't choose to install raingear in my '57... My '56 has raingear, and Ron Francis wiring, but those were installed before I purchased the car.

Nick_nl
11-08-2020, 05:06 AM
I did install the fuse box in the recommended location in my '57.

BamaNomad
11-08-2020, 07:56 AM
If I had a console, I might consider that option, but I'll probably do as you did Nick... located the AAW fuse panel where they recommend. I'll probably put the additional circuit breaker panel under the hood (under the fender most likely and quickly removable for access)..

WagonCrazy
11-09-2020, 10:13 AM
For me...it was all about easy access to the panel without contortions up under the dash...so up under the drivers side dash WASN'T the place for it. I put mine centered on the transmission hump, approx under the glovebox. It will be covered by a custom made center console with an easy flip up panel for access.

BamaNomad
11-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Have you got photos, Paul? OR did you put some in your project thread that I can go check?

kbuhagiar
11-10-2020, 07:07 AM
Bama,

Not sure if it is relevant, as I used a Painless harness, but I located my fuse panel on the firewall, adjacent to the kick panel and directly above the parking brake handle. I'm real pleased with the location as it's essentially out of sight to anyone in the car but still not difficult to get to. I left a large slack loop above it so it will be easy to swing out of the way if I ever need to access components above it. 11500

BamaNomad
11-10-2020, 07:24 AM
I like that Ken... Did you make your own mounting plate or bracket? or is that Painless' recommended/provided location?

kbuhagiar
11-10-2020, 08:33 AM
I like that Ken... Did you make your own mounting plate or bracket? or is that Painless' recommended/provided location?

Painless recommends mounting the fuse panel in that general location, either up above the kick panel or higher up on the firewall. I have Raingear wipers and that factored into the placement (I couldn't have gone too much higher as it would have interfered with the motor unit). The mounting plate came with the wiring kit; I modified it to 'stand off' about 3/4" from the firewall. I also used Nut-Serts (threaded inserts) on the firewall and the mounting plate to ease installation and removal.

WagonCrazy
11-10-2020, 11:08 AM
This is an EZ wire harness, butchered up and added to for all the new circuits needed with an LS swap. It works great, and is in a place that will be covered up by a custom built center console, but easily accessible via panel. There's alot going on "under" this future center console.

BamaNomad
11-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Paul,

I love the accessibility aspect of that approach! Make your console come off or apart with quick turn fasteners?

BamaNomad
01-06-2021, 09:45 AM
TOTALLY FED UP WITH THIS AAW KIT, And AAW!

I purchased an AAW 'classic update' wiring kit 6 yrs ago, based on recommendations from several people on the 'other trifive site'. I had no idea it would be this long before I used it, but I'd never opened it until recently.

The instructions with my kit reference 'harnesses' by name which aren't included with the kit (ie. Rear Body Intermediate harness, for one), No overall drawing is provided, and their 'drawings' are a combination of pictorials and words; ie. No real schematic provided; The multiple pages required to figure out a specific circuit even use different 'names' for the parts; ie. different names are used to reference the same parts on different sheets.

I've attempted to call AAW twice since I first began figuring out what I have, and how to install it .. both times without ANY satisfaction, especially given the attitude of their tech responding to my call. Today I was told that, YES there were some problems on the installation instructions and the references called out on the instructions provided with my kit I purchased 6 yrs ago. They have updated their instructions in attempt to correct those problems, but they also modified their circuitry, parts, and schematics to go with those instructions. They did not and do not maintain an 'errata' data list to document the problems found and corrected... so I'm SOL in having or getting an instruction set that corresponds correctly to the parts kit they sold me! and then when I asked him what I was supposed to do... He hung up on me!

Based on all this, I WOULD NEVER recommend AAW to anyone considering their wiring kit! One would be better off to design the wiring required for their car by themselves, buy a fuse panel with sufficient no of fuses for their application and buy the wiring/parts necessary to do it themselves!

55 Rescue Dog
01-06-2021, 10:23 AM
That's why I went with Ron Francis. You still have to figure a lot of stuff out, but the color coded/labeled wires are on the color schematic it eventually makes sense.
You have to hook up every wire to the fuse panel, but you can use just the circuits you need. Has 4 aux fused power circuits you can switch either way for key off power, or key on power. The wires hook up to terminals making it easy to test/troubleshoot, and you can cut each wire to length, hopefully. I haven't got very far on mine yet, but I installed one before.

Belair-o
01-08-2021, 05:44 AM
Hi Bama,
I did the AAW install in my 57 2dr coupe, and thought the instructions could have been clearer. I found the old how-to articles in the old Ecklers magazines, that I mentioned previously, helpful. I thought the words printed on each individual wire's insulation made a huge difference. The instructions included an overall schematic and individual harness schematics that were key. So they didn't include some of those? Bummer that tech 'help' hung up on you, no excuse. I don't know if it would be any help, but I could provide digital versions of the schematics I have, thinking that there should be crossover between the Nomad and my car.
Regards, Doug

BamaNomad
01-08-2021, 08:02 AM
Hi Bama,
... I found the old how-to articles in the old Ecklers magazines, that I mentioned previously, helpful. I thought the words printed on each individual wire's insulation made a huge difference.... I don't know if it would be any help, but I could provide digital versions of the schematics I have, thinking that there should be crossover between the Nomad and my car.
Regards, Doug

Doug, Thanks for your offer to help but it's not necessary. I went over the newer versions of the AAW installation instructions and with that information, figured out what they did. I've decided I'm going to use the factory information, along with the supplied AAW information, and make my own schematics (using the AAW wiring where appropriate). With this approach, I'll have schematics which show me exactly how my car is wired for troubleshooting purposes...

Gary

Belair-o
01-09-2021, 06:25 AM
Hi Gary,
Most excellent! You will know wassup, as you said.
Regards, Doug

WagonCrazy
01-13-2021, 07:36 AM
I've decided I'm going to use the factory information, along with the supplied AAW information, and make my own schematics (using the AAW wiring where appropriate).

Now you're cookin' with fire Gary. If you're building any kind of old car-hotrod-cruiser these days, you will need to document what you're doing...especially the wiring schematics. I personally have 20 to 30 pages of hand drawn schematics for my Nomad build, and reference them CONSTANTLY when troubleshooting things. Just do that...document it as you go. That will allow you to think deeper about issues you come upon, and see why something may not be working as planned. Its a brain and patience exercise for sure (wiring a car from scratch), but super confidence building in the aftermath.

You have this website and folks to draw upon when you get stuck. Jump in there cowboy!

1Trukin'57
04-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Is there a need for a special crimper with either the AAW or the Painless wiring kit?