PDA

View Full Version : TIG welding /solar DC source

Romax55
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Just a question about Tig machines ; I already have oxy-acetylene , a 225 AC/DC stick welder and a 200 Miller Mig machine , and want to add Tig but need another machine like a I need an extra hole in my head . I have a large 48 volt storage battery that's wired into my solar array and am tempted to use it as a DC source . Has anyone tried Tig off a DC source other than a Tig machine ? I'm determined to try this as I'm waiting on 55 parts deliveries , and it's either this or the dreaded home reno projects . I tried on 2 other occasions to get input from the Trifive.com members , but got nothing but smartass jokes and negativity from people that should know better namely 2 of their so-called "leaders" , RickL and NickP . I gave up and deleted the thread in disgust . I already have ONE asshole , and don't really need two more . Has anyone here tried this or am I just inviting more negativity and stupid comments ? I can tap this large battery storage across any combination of voltages from 0 - 48 vdc , and have a new 200 amp water-cooled Tig torch ordered ; I figure I'll pick up the argon gas when the Tig torch arrives . Anybody can throw money at a situation , but where's the satisfaction in that ? Any experimenters out there ? Be safe...Bob.

567chevys
04-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey Romax55 ,

You can used the AC/DC 225 for Tig welding , dont buy a water cooler and water cool tig torch , buy just a air cooled tig torch . and with that all you need is a tank of argon and a gas regulator and your ready to tig weld .
I can get you the part numbers for what you need if you want them .

Rick_L
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
To weld steel with tig, you need to weld it with DC, electrode negative. The 225 Lincoln is an AC machine.

567chevys
04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Rick
Look at romax55 thread he has a A/C D/C machine , You can also tig weld with a Mig machine if one knows what they are doing !!!It's all in the hook up !

chevynut
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know why a person with a powerful MIG would want or need a DC TIG. You can't weld aluminum with DC. You can weld steel and stainless steel with DC, but you could do that with MIG too. So part of this is what you want a TIG welder for.

Too bad you can't refrain from your personal attacks and name-calling, Bob. You started it with me, and I'm surprised Rick didn't tell you to shove it. I would have. If you want people to address your questions and help you, maybe you should check your attitude.

Perhaps you should e-mail the dumbass "greenie" POTUS and ask him how to use solar arrays to weld. I'm sure he knows. LMAO!

Romax55
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks Sid ; just wanted to know if it could be done off another DC source . I'll try it off 36 volts of this battery first and see what I can do with some stainless exhaust tubing . Tig is the answer for exhaust work , less contaminates in the welds . Sure doesn't seem to be that many open minds any more ; I'm a big enough person to ignore the ignorant ones . Be safe...Bob.

Rick_L
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
"I'm surprised Rick didn't tell you to shove it."

C'nut, you beat me to it. And I thought I'd behave until I had 5 or 10 posts.

Actually I missed the DC part. When Bob posted this elsewhere, he didn't mention DC capability. And curiously, that thread seems to be gone from that site.

Romax55
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Sid : I ordered the water-cooled Tig torch , and will just run softened tap water through it and adjust it as I go . You let children on this site too I see . Growin' up sure doesn't come easy to some of them . Although the whole plasma/ionization thing seems high-tech , it's just a cleaner way to weld ; I first learned to gas-weld with oxy-acetylene , welding shorty header sets for the stock-car guys , while still in high school . The old boy who taught me how to autogenous weld with oxy-acetylene , can't say enough good about Tig . He's the reason I have to give this a shot ; he's one of the smartest innovators I ever met . I want to Tig up a stainless exhaust system for his tractor ; he doesn't see well enough to do it himself . Be safe...Bob.

Rick_L
04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Bob, careful how you describe yourself. I made a simple oversight and you come on with a personal attack. Shame on you.

Looking at your other posts here, you seem to be a troll.