PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks For Lowered Cars

55mike
01-03-2021, 01:20 PM
I'm looking for a part number recommendation for the rear shocks on my 55. I have 2.5" lowering rear leaf springs, and I also use a shock bar between the frame rails. What I really want is a shock that is overall longer so the rear end can travel downwards more for ease of removing the tires, yet, have a compression that is shorter than stock so the shock doesn't bottom out....

Any suggestions? I would really like a KYB number....

Rick_L
01-03-2021, 01:27 PM
A shock doesn't have a set "height" where it's supposed to be when the car is at rest.

If your standard shock will compress enough to keep from bottoming out with your current mounts, it will drop farther. That's the first thing to know.

55mike
01-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Thanks Rick....
My issue is the shocks feel like they're bottoming out if I run over certain types of bumps in the road. So, I think I'll have to find a shock that compresses shorter/tighter, and probably will have to remove the bottom mount to get the rear down enough to take the tires off (rare to do, but, still need to sometimes). I've been researching KYB's website, and figured out they have a shock that although will not extend as long, it has 2" shorter compression than stock (which I'm currently using). The new part number is KYB KG5519 (stock number is KYB KG5522).....

55 Rescue Dog
01-03-2021, 02:59 PM
I have a similar issue with my 55 with a C4 rear, is that I cannot get the rear tires off without disconnecting the OE Bilstein shocks which is a total pain. A longer shock would make it worse, since that will shorten up the compressed travel. I don't think I have a good solution, because what really needs to happen is to raise the upper mount, which isn't really a good option in my case. Hotrods suck sometimes.

55mike
01-03-2021, 04:16 PM
I have a similar issue with my 55 with a C4 rear, is that I cannot get the rear tires off without disconnecting the OE Bilstein shocks which is a total pain. A longer shock would make it worse, since that will shorten up the compressed travel. I don't think I have a good solution, because what really needs to happen is to raise the upper mount, which isn't really a good option in my case. Hotrods suck sometimes.

Yea... seems like we do one thing and the dominos start clicking along. My research suggests a good fit will be KYB # KG 5519. The compressed distance is 11.06" (vs stock KG 5522 which compresses to 13.03"), Bad news is, they don't extend as far long as stock.. so, I'll be removing them from the bottom shock mount to get the rear down enough to remove a tire. This said, I think the KG 5519's will work better when driving around since they shouldn't bottom out.

55 Rescue Dog
01-03-2021, 04:39 PM
I don't really want to deal with raising the wheel opening, which would probably be my best option, and would work with my car. I like the look, but I am trying to make the stock opening work I hope.

55mike
01-03-2021, 05:00 PM
I don't really want to deal with raising the wheel opening, which would probably be my best option, and would work with my car. I like the look, but I am trying to make the stock opening work I hope.

I like 'em low too. So, I'll just have to deal with the associated challenges.........

busterwivell
01-04-2021, 05:43 AM
I've got the shock relocation bar, too, and have an 8.5 10 bolt rear end in my 56. I had bottoming out issues with stock 56 shocks. I don't have a part number, but I installed a pair of shocks for a 67 Nova and the problem went away.

ProjectX
01-04-2021, 08:52 AM
Hello guys,
i had the same problem with my 57. About 2 inches lowered and a shockbar. The stock length bottoming out.
I installed, front and rear, new bilstein. The rears are for the Camaro multi leaf. The partnumber is AK2074.
My 57 ht drives now better than before and is a bit stiffer.

Markus