PDA

View Full Version : How is this done?

chevynut
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
I am working on building a console for my Nomad and want to run carpet partway up the sides. I have looked at a lot of interior pics, and i don't understand how this is done. How is the top of the carpet terminated and contained? See the pics below. I'm wondering if I need to design something into the structure, or if the upholstery shop will add something to it.

Rick_L
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Seems to me there are two ways. Both involve the carpet being on one panel or part, and the leather or vinyl on another.

#1, the carpet is bonded to a piece of wood or fiberboard, and it's folded over the edge and bonded on the backside too.

#2, the edge of the upholstered panel overlaps the edge of the carpeted panel by some amount, 3/4" or so. The carpet wouldn't have to be folded over the edege of its panel but it would need to be on the upholstered panel.

jim '57
04-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Attach it to the console and the fibers will mesh together when you mount it on top of the carpet. Too much work to try to wrap the carpet up on the console.
Jim

chevynut
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
The carpet is fairly thick, and will have a "raw" edge. I'm trying to figure out how they keep that raw edge from showing. I don't want my console to look like a box bolted on top of the carpet. It seems like there must be a slot for the carpet to fit into, that's wrapped with leather.

I am probably going to build the bottom of the console out of a sheet of aluminum, and the sides out of MDF. Most of my electrical stuff will be in the console, and making the bottom out of aluminum gives me a good place to mount and ground things. I can shape the MDF a lot easier than I can shape metal too. I plan to bring some of the outside color of the car into the console, somehow.

I'm designing a full-length console that will go between the rear seats too....but it will be narrower in the back since my tubs take up space too. The rear seats will be built from scratch, and they will attach to a new seat framework that I haven't designed yet.

My objective here is to build most of the structure so I can save the $10K that an upholstery shop would charge me to do it. I hope to get a $20K interior job for $10K or so by building a lot of the structure myself.

I have a few ideas, and plan to incorporate a "box" and lid out of a Lexus into it. Wish I could have Chip Foose design something for me. I could probably build it. ;)

Troy
04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Hello Chevnut,

It looks like there may be two pieces to the console an upper and lower. The carpet on the base looks wrapped 90 degrees over the edge, and then the upper section has the upholstery wrapped 90 degrees around the bottom edge of the upper. Just a thought I really don't know.

eldon454
10-14-2012, 02:33 AM
hi everyone, new to the forum but have had my 56 belair for 25 years. the raw edge of the carpet may need a vinyl strip sewn to it for a finished look. you can take the cut piece of carpet to the local upholstery shop and have them sew the vinyl strip to it. they may have the appropriate color in the scrap pile, or some of the bigger fabric stores are keeping a small selection of vinyl in stock. my has been doing upholstery for 25 years so if i can be of help let me know.