PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the door lock knobs with a plug

Ontario55
02-13-2021, 05:51 AM
I'm redoing the interior on my 55 and as I never lock the car I can see no use for the door lock knobs. I'd like to cap these off. Any ideas on what to use that is either billet or chrome and where to get this type of plug? Thxs

Comment

mech393
04-01-2021, 03:58 PM
i went to hobby lobby and bought these silver inserts that fit perfect they just snap in the hole and they sit flush.

busterwivell
04-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Hmmm...........not trying to be critical, but I always lock my doors, set the alarm, and put on a club on my steering wheel in an attempt to make someone who wants to steal car look for an easier target. Why don't you want to lock your doors?

markm
04-01-2021, 04:57 PM
Some things are just supposed to be there and this is one of them.

Rick_L
04-01-2021, 05:51 PM
If I didn't want my lock knobs I'd weld the hole shut.

Old Buzzard
04-02-2021, 04:43 AM
Rick, I don't think I'd do that.
So, after it's stolen, the new owner can put the knobs back on.:wink:

BamaNomad
04-02-2021, 05:34 AM
Rick, I don't think I'd do that.
So, after it's stolen, the new owner can put the knobs back on.:wink:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Tabasco
04-02-2021, 05:47 AM
We even lock our convertible when we leave it in a hotel parking lot at weekend shows. People tell me that if someone wants in the can just cut the top and reach in and unlock it. True and with a hardtop or sedan they can break the window and get in. My logic is no one will pay much attention to anyone who just opens a car door and get in. But if someone sees a person cut a convertible top or break a window and get in a car they might just call the police, attempt to stop the person or do something to keep the crook from stripping or stealing the car.

BamaNomad
04-02-2021, 06:33 AM
Maybe some folks don't worry about their car being stolen, they'd just call their insurance company! BUT.. for most of us, having our car stolen, that we'd had for years and worked on for many hours, would be similar to losing a family member (no tears but more cursing!)

And as Tabasco stated, it doesn't take much to 'keep honest people honest' (lock your doors).. and perhaps there's little we can do to prevent the professional thieves!

busterwivell
04-02-2021, 01:39 PM
I agree, Bama. I like to make mine a little harder to steal than the one next to it.

Dualfours
04-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Totally agree about locks keeping honest people honest. And as for calling an insurance agent in case of theft.....a handful of cash doesn't stack up well against something that many people have had for years, sweated over, spent many hours and days securing just the "right" parts as perceived for their build, and downed many a cold beer while planning the next step in the process. May help the monetary loss but not the frustration and anger. At car/truck shows if I have my 71 Chevelle or my 71 Chevrolet 4x4 pickup entered the windows are down while sitting around maybe downing a cold beverage. When I leave to walk around the windows are rolled up within an inch or so and doors are locked. Keeps honest people honest and jerks from a "just wanted to sit in it" situation.