PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

offdwall
03-04-2021, 08:21 PM
What if you are offered a 55 Chev 210 post by a friend's wife right after he dies of the Corona Virus. All you know is that the car was being built for this millionaire that wanted something cool. You have seen his 57 convertible, an incredible restomod valued over $250k that he had built so he could sit in the bar in his house and drink sitting in a car. Seriously. So you know this should be good, right? All you know is that has been worked on for years and has a new LS6. Oh, and you know cars, they just happen to be 60's Mustangs.

You buy the car unseen because you know the guy and you were looking for an LS6 anyway to put in your Ford Galaxie Fastback (sorry) because you wanted a new AT.

The day comes where you get to see what you bought. The garage opens and there it is, a custom 55 where not one panel has not been customized and reworked to perfection. The car is in primer but sanded and ready for paint. The car sits on a custom hand made powder coated frame with coil over suspension with a Ford 9 inch IRS rear suspension. This is barely visible as the car is on Air Ride suspension that has no air and sits 2 inches from the ground. There is no interior installed but you can see the Flaming River Steering Wheel and a control panel that is wired for an incredible set of gauges and electric everything, including doors, hood, and trunk. The motor is not a LS6 but an 620ci Chev big block rated at 800 horsepower. You are handed a sheet that confirms that car is one of a kind and so far beyond your capabilities that you have no idea what to do, even though it's 85% done. It only needs paint and the interior finished (maybe wheels and tires too).

You are finally told the shop that was doing the work and they are a top shop, and they tell you the guy has over $600,000 into the car at their shop. A disagreement on paint left him pulling the car and taking it home, where you have found it.

The owner of the shop says he never wants to see the car again.

If you try to get the car completed you are talking probably $100k because you can't put a stock paint and interior in it.

Even if you find a shop, not many will want to complete some one else's vision.

Ebay?

Take it to some place like Pomona Swap?

Break it up into pieces and sell the components? That Chev motor is way too overboard for my Ford

I am absolutely serious. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Buzzard
03-05-2021, 03:49 AM
Troll???

busterwivell
03-05-2021, 06:31 AM
I'm calling BS...........

markm
03-05-2021, 07:38 AM
Send the whole pile to junkyard.

BamaNomad
03-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Give the widow lady (when she calls) the name of your worst enemy! :)

offdwall
03-05-2021, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the help

offdwall
03-05-2021, 01:47 PM
I admit, I am a Ford guy, but I would ask the guy a few questions before assuming he lying. I just asked for help.

offdwall
03-05-2021, 02:25 PM
I really appreciate getting to know the 55 crowd. My brother owned 2 and I was considering keeping this car, but considering the way you treat people maybe that's a mistake. To be clear, I asked this group for help and you all treated me like crap. At a time where teenagers can't even drive a stick I would have thought you would be a little more polite to someone that supports our cars. So much for car guys helping car guys. If someone wants to contact me and help I would appreciate it, otherwise I will just withdraw from this group and head back to a more friendly group of guys.

BamaNomad
03-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Your story was a bit unbelievable, and you gave us NO reason to believe it... What would YOU do?

offdwall
03-05-2021, 11:51 PM
Well Bama Nomad, I would ask a few questions of the person first. Unbelievable? Really? Because, I bought the car last week from the widow in Waller, Texas. You could of checked with Dooley and Sons about the work done, and they even know about the owner passing from Covid. I could give you the name of the appraiser that looked at the car last month and is also aware of it's history. I could connect you with members of the Goodguys that have seen the car, as well as most of my family are members of very well known clubs with several trophy'd cars, AND were part of the history of Drag Racing in the Pacific NW. I have pictures galore that I took of the car and could have posted them if you had just asked.

Why am I wasting my time? Just a guy looking for help because I have never owned a 55 Chev before now, and instead of helping every one of you treated me like an arrogant putz. So, because of your arrogance I will cancel my membership to this forum and look elsewhere.

You are all shining examples of today's car culture.

Since I live in Texas it's possible we will meet sometime, especially as I know to look for a green and white Nomad from Alabama, and we can have a discussion on how you should talk about my late friend's widow.

Bluegrass Trifive
03-06-2021, 05:09 AM
Congratulations, it sounds like you've got yourself a really nice 55. From your description (and there are variables) the car would cost $200K-$250K to be built in a very high end shop. To sell it afterwards you'd be lucky to get much north of $125K. If he truly paid $600K to any shop to get it to where its at, I'd think they'd want to keep working on it forever as its been a unbelievably huge cash cow for them. My guess again from your description is you're $50K or so from having it done and it'll bring much more completed than selling it as is. Good luck with it, pictures would be helpful to give you better more detailed advise.

busterwivell
03-06-2021, 05:36 AM
Sorry you feel that way. You post an unbelievable story, with no pictures, no reference as to builder, nothing other than you are considering parting it out, for your Ford. Then you criticize us for not believing without any evidence. Hmmmm..............

BamaNomad
03-06-2021, 05:57 AM
FYI ... NONE of us had any comments, negative or otherwise, about the widow. ALL of our comments were directed to the arrogant poster, assuming we were ALL going to drop whatever we were doing and respond to an essentially unbelievable story without any supporting photos, information, or anything. Your very first post... and you expected us to believe such a story? IF your story is accurate, AND you really want suggestions, THEN give us some detailed information and photos. NONE of us in here have any idea how anyone would spend $600K on a '55 period! Much less and to have it incomplete... Again, I ASK YOU..
If I come to you in your mustang/ford forum and present such a story about a 64-1/2 Mustang and had spent $600K on it thus far in a high end shop and asked you 'what should I do?'... No pictures, no information just BS... WHAT WOULD YOU and your Mustang cohorts do/say?

scorpion1110
03-06-2021, 11:22 AM
Welcome aboard Offdwall.

It usually takes a little longer to be called a troll on this site. It was that type of attitude in this hobby that lead me to sell my 55 wagon, and all the parts and just keep an import.

Sell it. List it on Bring-aTrailer.

Take a percentage for your time and give the proceeds to the widow. Honestly, you'll be happier with the Ford crowd.

markm
03-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Welcome aboard Offdwall.

It usually takes a little longer to be called a troll on this site. It was that type of attitude in this hobby that lead me to sell my 55 wagon, and all the parts and just keep an import.

Take a percentage for your time and give the proceeds to the widow. Honestly, you'll be happier with the Ford crowd.

Why don't you take your import junk and leave too.

Rick_L
03-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Scorpion hates us so bad he sold his 55 wagon, but he's in victim mode and has to come back and post more and get "bullied" more.

offdwall is more advanced at trolling, even his screen name is a troll name and got right to trolling in his first post.

567chevys
03-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Scorpion hates us so bad he sold his 55 wagon, but he's in victim mode and has to come back and post more and get "bullied" more.

offdwall is more advanced at trolling, even his screen name is a troll name and got right to trolling in his first post.

Really should not post this as it was a PM to me , But oh well people should move on and some can not practice what they speak

This was PM to me 1-18-2021

Registered Member

Member #:3477
A Thought
Dear Sid;

I hope the new year finds you healthy and well.

I just wanted to drop you a note. Several months ago I deleted all my content. I eliminated pictures, friends, personal information, etc. I did this because I had become uncomfortable in this community. There is often the mention of bullying, and it is a fact that it occurs here. There is also too much political rhetoric on this site. All of this hides under the misinterpreted reference to the first amendment. Often quoted seldom understood.

The environment here is sour, and its a place I would not frequent. If you check your ip traffic you will see I visit. However its not to share a conversation, or to help another member; its more to view exactly how far things go before things get cleaned up.

In a time of political and social unrest, social media can be an inciter. Unsubstantiated posts are not only a risk, they are a liability. Quoting a random source btw is not substantiation, its just propaganda used to make the posters point. Truth is objective, social media is subjective.

The atmosphere was so bad (and it caused me to really look at the hobby differently), that I sold my 55, and turned in my carlisle spaces. It reflected the dark side of a hobby I no longer wish to be a part of.

I do wish you well. You were always a patient friendly gentleman.

I would advise at a minimum that you disclaim all political posts- specifically that they are the opinion of the poster and dont reflect the website. Better yet- ban them. Tri-five.com is not universally wrong, and the sites I now visit do not allow the political junk.

Did you ever wonder why Chevynut, a guy with 10,000 points stopped visiting? Id guess politics and conflict (yes he dished it out too but the atmosphere allowed it and the attacks went both ways). I suspect the reason he doesnt delete his info is that he is a sponsor and runs a business. Next best alternative, go silent.

Good luck Sid, dont let them bully you into letting them post all of this crap. Draw a line that is set to YOUR standards. If its all the political BS then so be it; but you set the rules.

best, Dave

55 Rescue Dog
03-07-2021, 05:03 AM
I guess private messages are not private here, but what scorpion1110 said is correct, so now what?

markm
03-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Really hard for me to believe that some one would sell their car over post on a message board. In the 70s I was not taken seriously by the local Trifive guys. I did not give up and quit.

55 Rescue Dog
03-07-2021, 04:03 PM
I've bought and sold too many cars for dumber reasons than that.

markm
03-07-2021, 05:21 PM
I've bought and sold too many cars for dumber reasons than that.

Then you are as clueless as he is.

offdwall
03-07-2021, 08:33 PM
If they had only asked. I was so pissed, but your post is more what I am used to. I the Mustang forum we would just ask a guy to stack 2 books on the fender and shoot a picture, just so we knew it was real. I didn't have battery and I wasn't willing to just plug one in and hope everything was ok anyway. The guy at Dooley (Jeff) was helpful and said I would be ok using the actuator for the hood so I will do that next. Also, a few on the Ridetech forum suggested bringing a compressor and buy those valves they have for cars being worked on. Not sure about that hood, I have never seen one like that but that doesn't mean it's good. I understand that because he has $600k in the frame means it's worth $2, but it does show the level of quality he was trying for. Trying to post but being difficult as I am not used to your system.11828 11827 11829

offdwall
03-07-2021, 09:55 PM

"Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

If anyone was around the internet for more than 6 weeks would be able to tell you why my name is what it is. See, when this whole thing was started your ID and email was limited to 8 spaces. I bet you don't know why. I am just lucky enough to be the original.

offdwall
03-07-2021, 10:14 PM
I had posted pics but the more I read the more that it becomes evident most of you are just morons and there is no value in your opinion anyway. I knew the corvette guys were bad but y'all exceded my expectations!

Goodbye

offdwall
03-08-2021, 12:40 AM
Welcome aboard Offdwall.

Geez, how did you put up with this? I was heavily involved in another board with cruisers and I can honestly say that everyone supported each other. I understand where someone my wonder of my story's validity, which is why I posted what I did at the end, but on all the other sites I have been on a doubter would just say that this was an incredible story, do you mind posting some pictures so we can see what you have? That would have been so easy. Especially since I was new to the site. It blew me away what creeps some of these guys were, I was honestly shocked. Unlike you I am not going to just watch. I have strong feelings about the community of each site and there is nothing like that here. There has to be a better group out there so I will continue the search.

Thanks anyway and I wish you good luck!

offdwall
03-08-2021, 01:24 AM
Congratulations, it sounds like you've got yourself a really nice 55. From your description (and there are variables) the car would cost $200K-$250K to be built in a very high end shop. To sell it afterwards you'd be lucky to get much north of $125K. If he truly paid $600K to any shop to get it to where its at, I'd think they'd want to keep working on it forever as its been a unbelievably huge cash cow for them. My guess again from your description is you're $50K or so from having it done and it'll bring much more completed than selling it as is. Good luck with it, pictures would be helpful to give you better more detailed advise.

Thanks! Sure, here's a few pics. Please understand, I took these last week before I spoke with Jeff at Dooly and Sons. I was unsure of the wiring so I didn't want to connect a battery until I knew it was safe. If you look at the right side shot you will see 2 wires, and above that is a rocker switch. He told me it is safe to hook it up and open the hood that way. BTW he confirmed to me how much the guy had in the car. While that number is completely true, I know it does not equate value. I have a restored 73 VW Thing too and if I put gold plated cup holders in it, it would mean nothing to the next person. The AirRaid shocks are open but I found a guy that told me about the adapters that you can hook onto the lines and inflate that way with a 140psi compressor, and that will allow me to move the car safer. They should be here before next week. Again, I have no idea so I am just feeling it out on what to do with it. What do you think of the hood? I have never seen one like that and not sure about it. I guess I will learn more when I open it, can't wait to see that 620.

I could just hook up all that wiring, put in an interior, and have a scary driver in kind of a "Two Lane Blacktop" salute. I don't know yet because a beautiful frame does not mean it's a drive-able car.

Thanks for responding, I am just looking for any input from people that have one, work on it, and attend functions like rallies as I am not up on the 55 at all.

11830 11831 11832 11833 and here's the 57 sitting in the bar if you know someone that wants the perfect Restomod 11834

55 Rescue Dog
03-08-2021, 05:06 AM
Wow, that 55 is incredible and has a lot of potential for sure! Too bad you had to find out how unfriendly this site can be, and many of them have NEVER bothered to post a picture. And they love to go on and on about political anything on chit chat that has nothing to do with the hobby. I've been banned twice , but keep hanging around hoping it might somehow get better. Best of luck on your car.

BamaNomad
03-08-2021, 06:17 AM
and getting closer and closer to a third....?

55 Rescue Dog
03-08-2021, 06:25 AM
and getting closer and closer to a third....?
I really don't care if I get banned forever at this point. This site doesn't inspire me to post, or ask for advise on my car, and apparently it doesn't for many members and visitors to this site. It is still a bully site as you can see.

55 Rescue Dog
03-08-2021, 02:21 PM
The more I look at that 55, the more interesting it gets. It is something way out of the box for sure. Not so sure about the wheels/tire though.

offdwall
03-08-2021, 03:29 PM
The more I look at that 55, the more interesting it gets. It is something way out of the box for sure. Not so sure about the wheels/tire though.

As I understand they were an old set just used for moving it around the shop. There was supposed to be a one off set being made but if they finished them no one knows where they are. We have also been looking for his book, the folder that contains all the paperwork, but haven't found it yet.

55 Rescue Dog
03-08-2021, 03:50 PM
I'm sure so sadly like many other people gone too soon, that he had it all figured out long before completed. Now you can change it up a bit for you, and keep his dream alive. Please don't go away ODW. I might be the only one left here that would love to see more about your car, and talk about it.
No one would be able to figure out where my car design is headed, including me. Changes daily. They are never worth as much, when not drivable, incomplete with tons of parts, and ideas. My car ended up with deleted drip-rails, but I really like the way he had that one done.

55 Rescue Dog
03-08-2021, 05:17 PM
And to just add to the thread. Please come back Chevynut?
And many others too!

offdwall
03-09-2021, 10:52 AM
I'm sure so sadly like many other people gone too soon, that he had it all figured out long before completed. Now you can change it up a bit for you, and keep his dream alive. Please don't go away ODW. I might be the only one left here that would love to see more about your car, and talk about it.
No one would be able to figure out where my car design is headed, including me. Changes daily. They are never worth as much, when not drivable, incomplete with tons of parts, and ideas. My car ended up with deleted drip-rails, but I really like the way he had that one done.

When I decide if I'm going to modify something it's not an issue for me. Usually I own something well established (aka cheap). I owned a Red Dodge Magnum SRT8 Wagon and found they made less than 100 (so I made it almost perfect and left it there), but they made almost 1/2 a million of my Galaxie, which is why I bought it! I can cut that in half and no one would care, that's why I was looking for a decent LS motor. 500 horses out of an LS is a lot cheaper than squeezing it out of an old Ford FE block.

I am curious how this will handle with a Ford 9" and IRS, and how well it handles the 800 ponies. I had a 73 Firebird long ago with a 400 heavily modified to put out 500 and it ate transmissions.

I am just about ready to inflate the bags, those valves from AirRaid arrived today, and have the parts I need to see a lot more what this has under all that sheet metal!

55 Rescue Dog
03-09-2021, 04:56 PM
It would be very interesting to see what you ended up with under the car, and hood for sure. 800 HP would be fun once and a while, but something a little more toned down could be fun too.