PDA

View Full Version : Domenic's 57 Nomad project

nomad
05-30-2021, 05:32 AM
Can any body tell me where they are getting this British Honduras Mahogany plywood for the cargo area's for the 55-57 Nomad wagon's ? Is it a "Ciadella thing" ?

BamaNomad
05-30-2021, 06:11 AM
Where did you get that term, nomad? Is that something being advertised by Ciadella currently? That's a new one to me... Originally GM used a 'marine grade' plywood, and I doubt it was 'british honduras mahogany'...

nomad
05-30-2021, 09:37 AM
Bama , go to e-bay item number 254991409867 . Real nice 57 Nomad Serra Gold/Adobe beige. Ad says , New, per factory, cargo linoleum ( Pete Ciadella) and British Honduras Mahogany under Linoleum . This is not the first time I've seen someone mention this British Honduras Mahogany plywood for under the Linoleum . May be it's just people who are handy with wood and want to cut/make their own ? because I have seen this before, was wondering if it was available in a kit for the 55-57 Nomads ?

BamaNomad
05-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Nomad, I agree that '57 is pretty nice (2nd owner car).. it says the linoleum came from Ciadella (that's something they do sell), but I haven't seen anyone advertise 'honduras mahogany plywood' and I would have to see something concrete in specification to verify what it is. I know of no source for plywood like that, although I do love working with mahogany boards! :)

pS. I did a google for honduras mahogany plywood and found only a 2-ply, and also a 'mahogany veneer'... The original ply used for wagons was 5-or 6 ply marine grade plywood...

nomad
05-31-2021, 02:38 PM
Bama thanks, we are making progress on the Nomad. Got some rear leaf springs from Eaton Detroit. These came to us in black so had to be stripped and painted like a cast grey color . They had two spring rates a 120 and a 138 for the nomad offered , both 5 leafs , they said that the 120 was the standard spring , and the 138 was the heavy duty option for the Nomads . They also said that all the rest of the 1957Chevrolet wagon line came standard with the 138 rate 5 leaf and had a 6 leaf 165 rate spring heavy duty option . I got the 138 with 1' extra lift spring . They also said that nobody makes a grooved leaf spring anymore .

BamaNomad
05-31-2021, 09:06 PM
nomad, You should post some progress photos here sometime... I've seen some of your photos and it's beautiful... :)

nomad
06-03-2021, 05:31 AM
nomad, You should post some progress photos here sometime... I've seen some of your photos and it's beautiful... :) Bama I would love to post some pictures of my Nomad that my friend is re-storing for me . The problem is I am not computer savvy , and it seems that it's hard to figure it out on this site. I am capable of E-mailing pictures . My friend is amazing at restoring car's and thank you for the compliment's .

BamaNomad
06-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Bama I would love to post some pictures of my Nomad that my friend is re-storing for me . The problem is I am not computer savvy , and it seems that it's hard to figure it out on this site. I am capable of E-mailing pictures . My friend is amazing at restoring car's and thank you for the compliment's .

Domenic,

I'd be glad to post an photos you want to send to my email. In fact, here are a few you sent to me during the painting of your '57 Nomad, but I'm sure you're well beyond that step now...?

Belair-o
06-04-2021, 06:35 PM
Purty Nomad!
FWIW, about Honduras Mahogany, the discussion at the following link might provide some more info on the topic:
https://www.woodworkerssource.com/blog/wood-conversations/mahogany/
I can't imagine where the British part of the name mentioned could come from, since I don't figure mahogany grows there. Maybe it did during the Medieval Warm Period (for those up on ancient climates).
Regards, Doug

BamaNomad
06-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Britain 'colonized' British Honduras.. it is now called Belize... (there was also Spanish Honduras... :)

nomad
06-05-2021, 04:42 AM
Domenic,

I'd be glad to post an photos you want to send to my email. In fact, here are a few you sent to me during the painting of your '57 Nomad, but I'm sure you're well beyond that step now...?

Bama thank you so much for posting the pictures . I am going to send you a couple of pictures that really capture the car , and would really love it if you can post them for me. Dom

Belair-o
06-05-2021, 06:06 AM
Britain 'colonized' British Honduras.. it is now called Belize... (there was also Spanish Honduras... :)

Hi Bama,
Excellent answer! And was a British colony up to 1964, so that covers the 1957 Nomad timing.
Thanks! Doug

BamaNomad
06-05-2021, 08:14 PM
Back to Domenic's '57 Nomad (under restoration in NY)... Here's a shot of the underfloor that he sent me today.. (it's looking great Domenic!)..

BamaNomad
06-15-2021, 07:21 AM
Domenic emailed me a few more photos of the progress on his '57 Nomad a few days ago, so I'll post them here... :)

BamaNomad
06-27-2021, 06:55 PM
Domenic is continuing to move ahead in his '57 Nomad restoration efforts. He sent me a few photos of the car before he began, and also a couple more photos of 'in process' work... The first two photos are of the '57 Nomad (in canyon coral / ivory dress) in 2017 before they began the restoration; the second of which was Domenic and his son at a local cruise in/car show.. The last three photos are of the spare tire well which is being restored out of the car, and which is now ready to be reinstalled in the car. The car is being restored in Tropical turquoise / ivory...

BamaNomad
07-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Domenic's restorer has welded in the prepped/painted spare tire well back into the body....

nomad
07-09-2021, 10:38 AM
Thanks Gary , in the past the previous owner had removed the tub and it wasn't put back in properly . Here my restorer friend Bob has restored the overlaping edges so this peice is now properly welded in rock soild . Now just some finish work needed .

BamaNomad
07-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Thanks Domenic... I was curious as to WHY it was removed during your restoration... and correcting a past problem is a good answer.. :)

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 05:53 AM
Domenic and his restorer have completed re-installation and paint trim out of the restored spare tire carrier, along with the restored rear springs and rear end housing, and a new gas tank. He sent me these photos to post for him.

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Domenic,

Your build thread began with a question about 'sourcing british honduras plywood' for the cargo area. I think we beat the 'british honduras' part of that question pretty well earlier, but now that you're seemingly at the point of actually installing the cargo (and rear seat) plywood, I wanted to provide you the dimensions you will require for cutting the cargo area plywood.

The first image shows a measurement of an 'original' spare tire board with a thickness of 1/2". You will find it difficult to find plywood 'exactly' 1/2"' in thickness. If you do have difficulty, then I would suggest using plywood 'slightly' thicker than 1/2" to eliminate possibilty of cutting your hand with the stainless trim on the spare tire cover. I actually used 5/8" plywood for mine (which is thicker than it needs to be). I think 17/32" would be a better choice.

The second image is from an old NNC Nomad Post article by Wayne Oakley showing dimensions to but the boards.

I've also attached a pdf (power point) diagram which I made from measuring the boards sold by an 'online seller' which was installed in my '56 Nomad when I purchased it. One pays quite a bit more for these cut boards and shipping rather than buying plywood at your local store and cutting it yourself! The dimension between these two diagrams are slightly different, but the 'tolerance' on the holes in your stainless trim should allow either diagram/dimensions to be used successfully.
PS. you will also have to rout out a small area to fit over the 'small raised area' on the Nomad metal floor (near the rear on the drivers side), and also clearance for your rear tail/brake light wiring to go thru the floor.

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 08:54 AM
Sid,

Can you change the title of this thread to something like "Domenic's 57 Nomad project" ...?

567chevys
08-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Sid,

Can you change the title of this thread to something like "Domenic's 57 Nomad project" ...?

Done ,

Look ok ?

Thanks Sid

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 09:32 PM
Thanks Sid! :) That'll make it lots easier for Domenic and everyone else to locate for updates.. :)

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Message from Domenic today reads.. "we put in the center section or "Ham ", and the backing plates and axels with the new bearing's. Dom"

note: Domenic: I always refer to it as the 'pumpkin' or 'chunk'... never heard it called a ham.. :)

nomad
08-10-2021, 06:09 AM
Gary , great job with the pictures. Here in Westchester NY. growing up I have heard of the "Center Section " being called a "Pumpkin " but never a" Chunk ". " The Ham "is common here . We also call our long sandwiches "Wedges " here . A common thing to do back in the day was to hook up your reverse lights to a toggle switch and you drove around with your reverse lights on if you wanted to race .

BamaNomad
08-10-2021, 07:10 AM
Domenic? Is that you or your restorer friend in the photos? :)

markm
08-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Gary , great job with the pictures. Here in Westchester NY. growing up I have heard of the "Center Section " being called a "Pumpkin " but never a" Chunk ". " The Ham "is common here . We also call our long sandwiches "Wedges " here . A common thing to do back in the day was to hook up your reverse lights to a toggle switch and you drove around with your reverse lights on if you wanted to race .

Third member or jug, other names dont compute.

tightline5
08-10-2021, 10:38 AM
Maybe they are confused with what we in the antique boat restoration refer to as Lloyds of London marine grade plywood, it is mahogany plywood without any voids very nice can come in rotary or slice cut.

sales@harborsales.net 800-345-1712 quite expensive but what the heck if you are in this hobby or boats you are spending money ask me how I know.
OFF TO BOWLING GREEN TOMMAROW.

BamaNomad
08-10-2021, 03:19 PM
Tightline5, Thank you very much for the 'name' of the plywood; I'm pretty sure you are right about where the 'honduras mahogany plywood terminology came from. I used the information provided to find a 'source' for this plywood, with the closest thicknesses being:
12 mm (slightly LT 1/2") and 18 mm (18/25.4= 0.708")

Here's the link if anyone wants to order some of this material for their Nomad cargo deck.. :)

https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/product/okoume-bs1088-marine-plywood/

nomad
08-13-2021, 11:29 AM
Gary , this is my restorer friend Bob Sekelsky in the picture's installing the rear axel's . I'm in a picture with my son at the Rosehill Shopping Center in Thornwood NY. at their Saturday nite car cruise .This was when the Nomad was painted an incorrect pink color. I included a correct rendering of Chevrolet's 1957 Canyon Corral color it's in the picture before , Owner of that car is unknown and only used for what a correct rendering of what 1957 Canon Corral color should look like . Again thank you for all your help .

BamaNomad
08-13-2021, 07:30 PM
I noticed that Bob also has a 1961?? Oldsmobile under his shed, or is that another's car he's restoring....? :)

nomad
08-28-2021, 08:04 AM
Gary , that's his 1959 Oldsmobile Super 88 four door hardtop , with vista views . Bob also has a 1958 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe , and a 1959 Belair two door sedan , and a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine , and he's still driving his parents 1962 Hillman Wagon that they ordered new and received when then vacationed in England . They ordered it with the steering wheel on the American side , and it came back with them on the ship .

BamaNomad
08-28-2021, 01:38 PM
He's got an interesting collection, Dom... :) I'm not a huge fan of '58-59 American cars(Chevy tossed their best design ever and redesigned the '58!).. :).
My next door car buddy has a '64 Sunbeam Tiger which I really like (always wanted one of those).. and when I was in the USAf, a car buddy of mine had a 'damaged' '56 Thunderbird (a tree had fell on it), so he shortened the frame, stuck a VW front suspension on it, and a 430 Mercury engine he had with trans in the chassis, and found a near perfect Hillman wagon body in a local MS junkyard, so he took that and fitted it to the chassis (so he could drive it with or without the Hillman body!).. The same fella also bought new a 1970 Challenger TA, then swapped engine/trans with a airman who had a '66 Plymouth with 426 Hemi and huge 4-speed... (I thought he was crazy, but he ended up with a very unique Challenger).. :) I often wonder what happened to those two cars!

busterwivell
08-28-2021, 01:47 PM
I remember test driving a Sunbeam Tiger in 1966. I decided to take my chances with the Army, I thought the odds were more in my favor.

BamaNomad
08-28-2021, 02:08 PM
I remember test driving a Sunbeam Tiger in 1966. I decided to take my chances with the Army, I thought the odds were more in my favor.

Was driving the Tiger that scary, Buster? :)

busterwivell
08-28-2021, 03:38 PM
I figured that was sure death to me as a 19 year old 135 lb punk.

BamaNomad
09-27-2021, 08:21 AM
To pull this thread BACK to Domenic's '57 Nomad project... I'll post a few images here that Domenic sent me over the weekend. His restorer had mounted his WS wiper motor and transmissions and has them working (I tried to post his test video but I don't have an internet address for it, only a file on my computer so I cannot post it).

And he's installed the firewall pad, which appears to be a very neat installation (made me want to know where he got the firewall pad, as there are a number of 'crappy' replacement firewall pads available these days. His looks *original*..? maybe NOS? or ?? Domenic can you tell us?

I cannot tell how the pad is attached; I can't see the 'factory type' plugs which punch thru from under the dash and should show the head of the plastic push pin under the dash, and the protruding pin on the firewall side. Did the install the push pins from the firewall side (that would be incorrect - backwards from the factory installations!)...

nomad
09-28-2021, 02:57 PM
Gary , the firewall pad came from Ol'55 . Sorry for the confusion this firewall pad was just laying in place and not completely installed with the plastic pins yet . Seeing the wiper's going back and fourth was great to see as these were some of the first parts going back onto the car . The door handle's and latches and locking linkage were before the wipers .I would have to say that the rubber body mount cushions were the very first parts. We are going with a "Factory Fit " Wiring harness and I had previously purchased all these parts in " NOS " : fuse box, complete steering wheel hub with the blinker switch, and all related parts . Ignition switch , High Beam switch , False Neutral switch , blue dot ceramic Points resistor, Point sets , re-built original dist. for the 4 barrel with correct weights , rocker panel moldings which I hope are all the same on all Belaire models . the rear end is in with the new axel bearings and seals , retainers and backing plates . The rear leaf's came from " Eaton Detroit " with the spring rate most commonly used on all the 57 wagon's with 1" over arc .

BamaNomad
11-07-2021, 06:23 AM
I received the following notation with the image of Domenic's heater installation in his '57 Nomad.

"We have installed the heater , the re-production blower resistor was no good I found a NOS one to use."

567chevys
11-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Looks great , thanks for the update

Sid

BamaNomad
12-04-2021, 11:52 AM
(from Domenic:)
Bob has made some progress with the 57 . We have the dash board column mount and pedal support in along with the gas , and brake pedals . The dash trim is on , and Bob laying out the wires . The old harness was spliced in several ares and was bad . The car is getting a well deserved restoration as everything was 65 years old like me . I am using about 85 % NOS switches , resistors ect. Happy Holidays

And below is the restored heater photo that didn't post correctly from the previous update.

markm
12-04-2021, 04:22 PM
Looks good as 57 can look nice, sorry my favorite dash is 55/56.

BamaNomad
12-04-2021, 06:25 PM
I prefer the turquoise interior on a turquoise '57, but it appears Domenic is going with black/gray?

nomad
12-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Bama , the interior will be the turquoise interior, except the dash, window garnish moldings , cargo floor lino , and carpeting will all be black. And the gauge pod , and steering column , will be gray. The same way that Chevrolet did it on some of the Colony Creme Belair's . Thank you again for posting the pictures for me , Dom

BamaNomad
12-11-2021, 03:27 PM
You're welcome, Domenic.... but I don't think I've ever seen a turquoise car with black dash and linoleum...

nomad
12-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Bama , I have never seen one either. But one National Chevrolet judge told me that you could special order things. I met John at Hershey he was their with a Black 57 Nomad which he helped to restore and it had an Ivory roof . The interior was the Black/Silver which they never made on the Black and Ivory roof Nomads . This is when Jhon the judge told me that they did do special order's. John Chamber's knew John who is no longer with us very well .When I see the 1957 Pale yellow " Colonial Creme " Belair's with the Black dash, and garnish moldings and carpeting , with the grey steering column and gauge's with the regular yellow/ black "Belair " door panels and seats it looks great to me. Also I'm not concerned with national judging .

BamaNomad
12-12-2021, 07:37 PM
Domenic,

If you like it, that's all that matters... :) different strokes for different folks!~

On a customer ordered car, they would install any parts they had that the customer ordered, and that includes interior and paint.

PS. I have seen black/white '57 models with with black/silver interiors; a member in our local club had a '57 hardtop colored like that back in the 70's..

nomad
12-14-2021, 08:04 PM
The best blessing is that we all like different things . It what makes the world go round .

nomad
12-26-2021, 07:02 AM
Gary . I'm having trouble trying to send you e-mails has your e-mail address changed ? Dom

BamaNomad
12-27-2021, 06:28 AM
Can any body tell me where they are getting this British Honduras Mahogany plywood for the cargo area's for the 55-57 Nomad wagon's ? Is it a "Ciadella thing" ?

Call Ciadella....? We've already responded previously to this question...