PDA

View Full Version : looking for 57 convertible original sounding mufflers

TriFiveRide
08-06-2021, 07:00 AM
Recently purchased replacement mufflers from Ecklers. They fit correctly but are very loud for my convertible that is restored to factory original specs including the exhaust system. I've talked to Ecklers, Ecklers supplier and other exhaust manufacturers. They all agree that the sound of the mufflers is not correct for the car. Unfortunately, none have offered a solution. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

BamaNomad
08-06-2021, 07:42 AM
Are all the exhaust components (pipes, etc) the correct diameter and material? Or did you use larger tubes? Perhaps in stainless?

TriFiveRide
08-07-2021, 06:38 AM
Thanks for your response BamaNomad:

All pipes etc are correct diameter @ 1 7/8 in. Exhaust system is correct for the car and non-stainless.

BamaNomad
08-07-2021, 08:58 PM
The heavier 'aluminized' pipes will deepen the sound a bit, whereas stainless is thin and seems to make the sound 'tinny'...? If your pipes are correct bent, the same material and thickness, then the difference in sound it either in the muffler (or perhaps our memory or imagination?).. :)

TriFiveRide
08-08-2021, 05:55 AM
Thanks for your input BamaNomad. Yes, the difference in sound is the mufflers. My previous mufflers were correct which why this so puzzling. I thought they came from Ecklers but apparently not. The chevy parts dealer I got them from is out of business and the owner has past away. It was a one man band operation.
This link will take you to the youtube video I sent to the manufacturer of the mufflers from Ecklers. They agree that they are not correct but have no alternative.

https://youtu.be/WxKxk3f7f3I

Rocketman
08-09-2021, 08:02 AM
Sounds nice but definitely not stock. These Walker mufflers may be worth a look.

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/light-vehicle/mufflers-muffler-assemblies/quiet-flow-ss.html

TriFiveRide
08-09-2021, 12:29 PM
I did talk to Walker once but I think it might be worth another try. Their website does show a non-convertible exhaust system. Unfortunately the mufflers are to long.
Thanks, Kurt

markm
08-09-2021, 01:19 PM
If I recall correctly there were short and long mufflers for these cars. I have not seen a Walker catalog in this century.

LEE T
08-09-2021, 03:52 PM
This link will take you to the youtube video I sent to the manufacturer of the mufflers from Ecklers. They agree that they are not correct but have no alternative.
https://youtu.be/WxKxk3f7f3I
The video shows exactly what your problem is, you just can't have imperfect mufflers on a perfectly restored car. Very nice.

BamaNomad
08-09-2021, 09:34 PM
The original mufflers on our 57's WERE long... although I don't have an exact measure without crawling under my '57 sedan... ;)

markm
08-10-2021, 01:52 PM
My Dad had a new 56 2dr with powerpack and as I understand it he replaced mufflers a couple tomes in the few years he owned it.

BamaNomad
08-10-2021, 03:26 PM
I was driving my '57 sedan regularly (daily to work and/or grad school) in the late 70's. I don't recall having to replace the mufflers (but I did once when I changed back from duals to single exhaust to be 'correct' for my 2-bbl engine). I had more trouble with the parts store tail pipes rusting out. When I replaced the dual mufflers with a single long muffler, I also replaced the tail pipe with custom bent in 'aluminized' pipe... no more rustout!

TriFiveRide
08-11-2021, 07:18 AM
You are correct markm. Mufflers for convertibles were 23" body length because of the space restriction due to the X frame which provides additional rigidity for the car. Non-convertibles were 29" body length.

BamaNomad
08-11-2021, 08:40 AM
I'd forgotten about convertibles being a little shorter. Makes me wonder if the convertible exhaust may have been (and be?) a bit louder than other models?