PDA

View Full Version : First Car Show

Dualfours
08-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Finally, after several false starts have the 57 ready for it's first showing. "Almost' happened three weeks or so ago but two days before the show the radiator presented me with a leak. You would think GM would provide a better radiator with their cars, it's "only" 65 years old. Dated K-56 (Nov-56?)
Pulled the radiator and took it to the "only" remaining radiator shop that I know of within a 50 mile radius from me. (Thanks EPA-not) While they had the radiator it was the perfect time to swap out the aluminum flex fan for a Derale 6 blade steel fan and add an ABS two piece shroud. Also changed the bolts for studs, sure makes it easier to install a fan. Ain't much room between fan and radiator, maybe 3/4'' ?

Bored and cammed '64 Chevelle 283, original '57 GM 2x4s intake, Melling "Super Street" hyd. cam, home done port and polish match heads to the Appliance headers, M-21 Muncie w/Mr. Gasket bench seat shifter, Thrush mufflers thru 2'' full length exhaust, 3:55 posi, Mr. Gasket traction bars, riding on 7'' rallies, disc brakes front, original drum rear.

Dave the Wave
08-26-2021, 02:54 AM
nice ride, man! love those slapper bars. m/t valve covers!!!!! are using a PCV? i see the oil filler tube. downdraft tube?

BamaNomad
08-26-2021, 05:36 AM
Congratulations Dualfours! :) and Good luck going to, return from, and IN the show... Your car looks great and I suspect ALL of us love the old school look... :)

PS. Is that your building (quonset type?)... For years I thought of buying a WWII quonset and setting it up for a shop, but never lived in a location suitable for it..

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
08-26-2021, 06:27 AM
cool 57, looks like a fun ride.

markm
08-26-2021, 07:51 AM
I like the look, just rolled in from 1970.

Belair-o
08-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed reading thru the components you used, and too, love the look! Nice job!

Dualfours
08-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Dave, can't see it but am running a PCV, on the passenger side at the rear near the firewall. Runs off the back of the front carb at the base plate, rubber line snakes around to the fitting. The traction bars are on the list to be pulled, bead blasted, primed and a re-paint back to the bright yellow like they were when first installed. The M/T covers just screams 60s-70s to me as they were THE covers back in the day. Built it like a high school kid's ride from the time.

Bama, yep, that quonset style metal building is my retirement playhouse. 35 x 50 which I "thought" was pretty good sized until I started stuffing it with my 57, 71 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, my youngest son's restored '86 Monte Carlo LS. tool boxes, engine hoist, ZTR mower, push mower, concrete mixer, work bench, pressure washer.......this list goes on. Need a building stretcher, LOL. He and his wife are in Tuscaloosa where she teaches at the university while he works from home due to the Covid.

Belair-o, growing up in the 60s and graduated in 67 seen a LOT of the street prowlers of the time and just really love the old school look. Makes this ol man a kid when get behind the wheel. Have to resist the urge to punch it, would not look dignified for ol Dad to be stopped for exhibition of speed, loud exhaust, and what ever else a LEO wanted to tag on, LOL.

BamaNomad
08-26-2021, 02:24 PM
I always loved 'exhibition of speed'.... but I must be getting old as wifey says I drive like an old man now! :)

Dave the Wave
08-27-2021, 03:04 AM
thanx for the response. what did you do for the baffle in the valve cover?

markm
08-27-2021, 06:13 AM
I always loved 'exhibition of speed'.... but I must be getting old as wifey says I drive like an old man now! :)

I had a few of those from our local clowns back in the day.

BamaNomad
08-27-2021, 06:24 AM
I had a few of those from our local clowns back in the day.

if I had the money I've paid out for 'exhibitions of speed', etc... I could probably buy a pretty nice trifive! :)
Not bragging (it's not something to brag about)... it's just a fact I don't try to deny... I should have had a governor installed on my cars for about the first 40 yrs of my driving life... (but that would have been no fun). I've thought of writing a book about my 'various conversations' with LEO's after getting pulled over!

markm
08-27-2021, 11:46 AM
if I had the money I've paid out for 'exhibitions of speed', etc... I could probably buy a pretty nice trifive! :)
Not bragging (it's not something to brag about)... it's just a fact I don't try to deny... I should have had a governor installed on my cars for about the first 40 yrs of my driving life... (but that would have been no fun). I've thought of writing a book about my 'various conversations' with LEO's after getting pulled over!

I always enjoyed how they lied when I took them to court.

BamaNomad
08-27-2021, 11:51 AM
I always enjoyed how they lied when I took them to court.

You can request a copy of their video/audio recording now.. :)

Dualfours
08-27-2021, 06:02 PM
thanx for the response. what did you do for the baffle in the valve cover?

Don't rightly recall, been some time since installed the valve covers. Don't believe there is a baffle. May have to pull the PCV valve at some point and see how much oil film accumulation there is.

Dave the Wave
08-28-2021, 03:16 AM
i ran them without a baffle, and they suck oil, blue smoke.

markm
08-28-2021, 04:40 PM
I cant wait to get my small journal 327 built it will have solid Corvette valve covers and a road draft tube with vented intake.

Dualfours
08-28-2021, 07:06 PM
i ran them without a baffle, and they suck oil, blue smoke.

Any idea how one can add a baffle to prevent that situation. Not sure the 64 block has provisions for a road draft tube.

markm
08-28-2021, 07:19 PM
Any idea how one can add a baffle to prevent that situation. Not sure the 64 block has provisions for a road draft tube.

All small journal 67 and older blocks can run a road draft tube, starting in 63 many had pcv valve nipples instead of tubes.

Dave the Wave
08-29-2021, 03:16 AM
"M/E WAGNER", on your pc, explains it all. i wish i knew how to put pictures up here i`d show you mine. anyway, on the inside of the cover, m/t covers have 2 pilot holes . i drilled and tapped them, like 6 or 8/32 threaded holes. put the cover back on without a gasket, with plumbers putty on the valve cover, pulled the coil wire, turned the engine over 2 times or so, pulled the cover. i was afraid of the baffle hitting the roller rockers. anyway, measuered the thickness of the putty, used two thick washers, cut a rectangle out of a piece of sheet metal, drilled and installed with blue loctite. pm me your address and i get copies made of the pics and send them. and then, i found a "raised" pcv grommet. so the pcv is out of the cover about a half inch. i`ll get the part number for ya later today.

Dave the Wave
08-29-2021, 05:42 AM
"DORMAN", or "HELP", #42303 grommet for the pcv.