PDA

View Full Version : Speedo lube

Belair-o
09-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know if for a 57 Chevy, the speedo has to be removed from the cluster to access the mini-freeze plug to lube the speedo drive?
Thanks, Doug

chasracer
09-07-2021, 12:40 PM
It would be a lot easier than trying to do in the car. You have that tiny freeze plug and felt to remove to get lube into it - getting the plug out isn't bad but it doesn't just pop out for you.

Belair-o
09-08-2021, 06:30 AM
Chasracer,
Thanks for your thoughts on the process. I appreciate your bringing up unintended consequences that I had not considered. I was not wanting to totally pull the cluster, because of my historical difficulty in separating the AAW connectors, leading to the opportunity for me to cause paint scratches. I see your point.
Thanks, Doug

Rocketman
09-08-2021, 09:09 AM
It has been a long time since I did one but from what I remember you just unscrewed it from the back of the speedometer, pulled the cable out being careful to not get it on the upholstery and took a glob of lubriplate in a rag and ran the cable through it as you pushed it back in the housing. I may be wrong since the memory is the second thing to go. I don't remember what the first is.

chasracer
09-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Ha - yep I hear you!

I think he's talking about lubing the actual speedometer head, the gears in it that clock the miles driven - not the speedometer cable itself.

Belair-o
09-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Ha - yep I hear you!

I think he's talking about lubing the actual speedometer head, the gears in it that clock the miles driven - not the speedometer cable itself.

Yes, you are correct, that is what I was talking about.

Rocketman
09-09-2021, 07:20 AM
My apologies for reading it too fast. Your post was pretty clear. Good luck with this.

Belair-o
12-05-2021, 02:06 PM
I wanted to give feedback on the issue I had with the jumping speedo needle. I pulled the cluster, pulled the speedo from the cluster, removed the little brass plug from the back of the speedo. removed the wick, cleaned the speedo drive mechanism with Kroil thru the little hole the brass plug was in (turning the drive mechanism as I cleaned), cleaned the wick, used a bit of 3-in-1 oil in the hole and on the wick. I verified the speedo worked by chucking a small piece of wood in a drill and into the back of the speedo, running the drill counterclockwise. I put it all back together, pulling and lubing the speedo cable for the 3rd time, for good measure, and the speedo needle is no longer jumping around. I know, I turned two knobs at once, so which one did the trick? Since I had already lubed the speedo cable twice in the near past, I am of the mind that lubing the speedo head was the cure.
Thanks for your input, Doug