PDA

View Full Version : 8.8” explorer diff

57barnwagon
12-30-2021, 08:33 PM
On a popular tv car show they used an 8.8 ford rear bed without shortening the long side thus the pumpkin would be off center. Does this work problem free? Is the shortening to allow for centering and possibly larger tires?

Old Buzzard
12-31-2021, 04:56 AM
Some answers....
(62) Search results for query: 8.8 differential | Chevy Tri Five Forum (https://www.trifive.com/search/155613/?q=8.8+differential&o=relevance)

57barnwagon
01-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Thanks old buzzard but the link answers don’t really answer the specific questions I asked.

markm
01-02-2022, 10:17 AM
On a popular tv car show they used an 8.8 ford rear bed without shortening the long side thus the pumpkin would be off center. Does this work problem free? Is the shortening to allow for centering and possibly larger tires?

Just a thought but it seems to have worked OK in its original application that way. I also seem to recall a lot of 9 inch rears were built that way.

Rick_L
01-02-2022, 06:41 PM
The lateral offset of the pinion shaft to the transmission shaft just causes the angle of the u-joints that comes from ride height to be slightly increased. It is not usually a problem unless the lateral offset is huge like on some Ford vans with a 9".

On the other hand, narrowing the axle by removing this offset and using a short axle from the "other" side is looked on as an opportunity to have a narrow axle that is cost effective because you don't have to purchase aftermarket axle shafts.

markm
01-03-2022, 06:23 AM
The lateral offset of the pinion shaft to the transmission shaft just causes the angle of the u-joints that comes from ride height to be slightly increased. It is not usually a problem unless the lateral offset is huge like on some Ford vans with a 9".

On the other hand, narrowing the axle by removing this offset and using a short axle from the "other" side is looked on as an opportunity to have a narrow axle that is cost effective because you don't have to purchase aftermarket axle shafts.

I ended up with a few of those Van 9s back in the day, had to be 6 inches of offset.