PDA

View Full Version : Pinion Nut

PastorJ
05-29-2022, 07:17 PM
I just put the third member (pumpkin) in. But the pinion nut had already been taken off so i have no idea how many turns and no markings to go on. Does anyone know how tight i should tighten the nut?

BamaNomad
05-29-2022, 07:29 PM
Why was the pinion nut removed/loosened?? Generally you wouldn't do that unless there was a problem of some sort. Is this with the stock rear in your '55 210 ?? If so I'd remove the pumpkin from the differential, mount it up in a vise, and get a service manual for the car and follow the service manual recommendation. I've completely set up a '57 rear but it was long ago and I wouldn't want to rely on my memory!

markm
05-30-2022, 08:12 AM
I just zap them with an impact, being careful nut to add crush to the sleeve.

Rick_L
05-30-2022, 08:57 AM
What markm said.

The only other thing you could do is get a new crush sleeve and set it up per the shop manual.

BamaNomad
05-30-2022, 06:13 PM
If you tighten the pinion nut, then you still need to check the pinion to ring gear lash...

Rick_L
05-30-2022, 07:12 PM
The pinion nut's tightness or lack of it doesn't affect the gear mesh, especially the lash. Its only effect is on pinion bearing preload.

markm
05-31-2022, 07:12 PM
It takes a pretty good lick with a 1/2inch impact to crush a sleeve. Rick is correct about the backlash.

PastorJ
05-31-2022, 08:08 PM
I like the easy idea of "zapping with impact" and will gladly do it if that is all it takes. But i dont want to go under this thing again for a while. Thank you guys for info. What i read in the books is to set it to 8-10 inch pounds. but that is not a lot of torque so i am still a little confussed.

Old Buzzard
06-01-2022, 04:42 AM
I like the easy idea of "zapping with impact" and will gladly do it if that is all it takes. But i dont want to go under this thing again for a while. Thank you guys for info. What i read in the books is to set it to 8-10 inch pounds. but that is not a lot of torque so i am still a little confussed.
That torque spec IS NOT for the nut, it's for the rolling load on the pinion bearings.
It is checked with a torque wrench with the ring gear carrier out of the housing.
As for a crush sleeve: We use the shim style sleeve and set the load with a shim pack.
We use a nut that has had the lock machined off, so it can be used several times.
These:
Ratech Differential Pinion Bearing Spacers and Sleeves - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/ratech/part-type/differential-pinion-bearing-spacers-and-sleeves)

markm
06-01-2022, 05:20 PM
If memory serves me correct it takes like 500ft pounds to crush a sleeve. Buzzard is correct about the inch pound spec as turning force.

PastorJ
06-03-2022, 08:32 PM
thanks guys for all the input, goter done tonight!! making progress