PDA

View Full Version : 1966 327 Oil Filter Adapter

ykf7b0
10-06-2022, 06:57 PM
I bought a 1966 327 block with no oil filter adapter. I'm getting lots of conflicting information regarding bypass or no bypass and I'm just not sure what is needed. If you have a 1967 or older 327 what do you use? A part number would be great if you have one. Thanks!!!

BamaNomad
10-06-2022, 07:41 PM
I have several older Oil Canisters and I'm pretty sure at least one of them is for the 327. Do you have the adapter that attaches to the block? If not, you can buy the adapter that allows use of new 'screw on oil filters'...

Rick_L
10-06-2022, 07:45 PM
All OEM Chevy oil filter adapters have a bypass valve built in.

You have two choices. Get an original adapter that uses the cartridge filter and can. Or get an aftermarket adapter for a spin on filter. Some spin on filter adapters use a Ford spin on filter that has a bypass built into the filter. The ones that use a GM filter have a bypass valve in the adapter.

ykf7b0
10-07-2022, 04:06 AM
I have several older Oil Canisters and I'm pretty sure at least one of them is for the 327. Do you have the adapter that attaches to the block? If not, you can buy the adapter that allows use of new 'screw on oil filters'...

All OEM Chevy oil filter adapters have a bypass valve built in.

You have two choices. Get an original adapter that uses the cartridge filter and can. Or get an aftermarket adapter for a spin on filter. Some spin on filter adapters use a Ford spin on filter that has a bypass built into the filter. The ones that use a GM filter have a bypass valve in the adapter.

Thanks Gary and Rick!!!