PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Chevrolet neoprene rear main seal

nomad
06-15-2023, 09:17 AM
Has anyone used these neoprene rear main seals to replace the old rope type original seals ? On my last 57 hardtop many years ago the engine builder did not pack the rope seal and leave the required extra and it leaked bad . A local shop had to use a Chinese finger to remove the leaking seal and replaced a new rope seal correctly to stop the bad leak on the new motor . Is there also a neoprene front main seal ? In 1958 Chevrolet went to a " V " shaped journal with neoprene . The 1958 Chevrolet's also had a vent on the tail shaft to stop the cast iron transmission from spilling out it's contents all over the floor . Someone before me has already tapped and installed a vent on my 57 power glide.

BamaNomad
06-15-2023, 12:17 PM
Dom,

Are you bringing your Nomad to Huntsville next month for the Nomad Convention??

nomad
06-16-2023, 05:40 AM
Dom,

Are you bringing your Nomad to Huntsville next month for the Nomad Convention??
I wish I could take it for a ride , we just need to add some silicone brake fluid and bleed out the system and I believe it can be called a roller . I'm trying to find out how long it's going to take to get the motor/transmission rebuilt we need to send them out . I need to see if any of my extra exhaust manifolds are good enough to use . Do you know if good re-pro's are being made ? how about the exhaust flapper ? Can you have them powder coated or will that not work ?

BamaNomad
06-16-2023, 05:56 AM
Even if your Nomad isn't finished, Dom, YOU (and perhaps your restorer) should register and come to Huntsville for the Convention (16-21 July 2023) at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center Marriott. You'll see ~ 100 finished Nomads and talk to a couple of hundred owners, some who have owned their cars more than 60 yrs.. and get all your questions answered. There will also be a large NOMAD swap meet to find any parts you need, and of course the Show on Tuesday...

Have you ever joined the CNA??

nomad
06-17-2023, 05:21 AM
Even if your Nomad isn't finished, Dom, YOU (and perhaps your restorer) should register and come to Huntsville for the Convention (16-21 July 2023) at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center Marriott. You'll see ~ 100 finished Nomads and talk to a couple of hundred owners, some who have owned their cars more than 60 yrs.. and get all your questions answered. There will also be a large NOMAD swap meet to find any parts you need, and of course the Show on Tuesday...

Have you ever joined the CNA??I can remember talking to " Jhon Chamber's " about this when I gave him the vin. and body no. information on my 57 Nomad he remembered seeing it at one of these past Nomad convention's , and getting to meet the previous owner's . He keeps track of these cars, mine was built very late August 57 , he told me they were still making them into September 1957 to finish out the Nomad program . I met his good friend John at a Hershey fall meet about 5 years ago he told me he was a national judge on these cars and had a beautiful restored Black 57 Nomad with the ivory roof and the Black / Silver interior . After learning more about these cars I called him and asked how could it have a Black/Silver interior with the White roof they were all Red/Black with the white roof ? He told me that's the way the car was before restoration and that you could order " Special " combinations back then if you wanted . I went with the Black dash and Silver gauges on my 57 Turquoise w/ Ivory roof car because I felt it was just too much Turquoise looking out over the Turquoise hood . Every time I go to see the progress on the car , and look at the Black dash with the Silver gauges I am really happy with this choice , which is a good thing .

busterwivell
06-18-2023, 03:17 PM
I've seen John Chambers Nomad collection...........it's VERY impressive!