PDA

View Full Version : Questions about installing new side engine mounts and transmission mount

miller56
10-07-2023, 09:53 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for installing new side engine mounts on my 56 bel air? It originally had the front engine mounts and I am going to likely get a rebuilt 350 engine in it. I have seen some videos online in which they installed the side mounts on the backside (near the A frame upper control arms) of the piece of the frame that the radiator sits on (not sure what that part of the chassis is called.

I also had a question about the transmission mounts. I want to install a 700r automatic transmission. I know I need a transmission crossmember. Do I need to remove the old transmission mounts? And do I need to make any modifications to the flooring/firewall to install the transmission? I imagine that I would also need to get a new drive shaft to attach to the rear axle?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Histoy56
10-08-2023, 05:10 AM
I had a shop install a 700R4 in my car this spring. They didn't need to modify the firewall or the floor. The driveshaft will need to be shortened or replaced with a new one. My car had a 350 transmission in it, and the stubs for the Powerglide are still attached to the frame of my car.

busterwivell
10-08-2023, 06:08 AM
I have a 350/700R4 setup in my 56. I have side mounts in mine. I removed the trans mounts and installed a crossmember. Removing them leaves more room for the exhaust.

chevynut
10-08-2023, 09:29 AM
If your existing engine has the side mount bolt holes, just bolt the side mounts to it and weld them to the frame. Earle Williams makes some nice side mounts that we used on a frame we repaired for a customer. If it doesn't have the side mount holes, measure where it sits in the frame and set your new engine in the same place to install the mounts. Set the engine at 4 degrees down in the back and install your transmission crossmember. You can remove the bellhousing mounts from the frame or leave them there.

miller56
10-08-2023, 10:22 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.