PDA

View Full Version : driveline questions

chief 83
12-01-2023, 11:36 AM
I am working on a 57 3100 shortbed with a 4 speed transmission. It didn't come with a drive shaft. The shaft on the trans will accept a U-joint. The rear end also will accept a U-joint. So neither end provides for a slip joint. Am I looking for a driveline that has a carrier in the center or should the shaft have a "slip-joint" in the center somewhere? Secondly, where would be a good place to source whatever driveline I need?

Second dilemma is the VIN number. This truck came to me with a bill of sale, no title. In trying to get a title the state patrol had to inspect the truck. Checking the VIN plate on the door post, and then looking at the number stamped in the frame. The numbers don't match! They are one digit off. Example: Door frame ends in 08 and the frame ends in 07. All other numbers are correct and in the right order. The state patrol in a real disaster as they have been unable to fill countless positions on only for road troopers but for VIN inspectors. The folks they do have are quite inexperienced and are not really sure what to do. It took me 3 months to secure and inspection date and time. Basically they indicated that from either VIN they could only determine that it did not show as stolen. The guy I got it from I've known for years and he has had the truck for at least 15 years. The inspector indicated that they would research the problem and get back to me. Thats been about 5 days so I'm losing hope. You can't call them. I will try to send an email for what it's worth.

Also interesting to note, they won't issue a registration (not a title) unless the vehicle is "road worthy". Registration only is Washington is what you start with for a title application. After 3 years you can apply for a title. The issue here is with my VIN issues, I could spend 10K getting this thing "road worthy" only to find out that I can't get a title. The patrol guy agreed that screwed up.

Anyway I'm a long way from finished and don't know if I will live long enough to actually "finish" the truck. But I'm not that far away from it being "road worthy". But I'm going to need to solve the driveline issue to get there. Sorry for being long winded.