PDA

View Full Version : My first TriFive

Step56
01-16-2024, 09:28 AM
Hi, I did the intro, thought I would follow up here, hope this is the correct spot. 56 265 three speed O/D. 78510 miles.
Picked this up from my buddy that lives a few blocks from me. His dad bought it about 2010 for investment and it sat in a storage container in central CA, driven once a year. My buddy towed it here to the Pac NW April of 2022. It started and ran but had no brakes. So he had me do a complete brake job, new lines, dual master cyl kit, all the hydraulics. It has sat in his shop since.
Last week we made a deal, I had a 51 Diamond T fire engine he wants, so we went over to his shop pick up the car. It was 5 degrees outside, not sure what it was in his unheated shop but it was cold. I got in and it started after some ring gear grinding and blew out a spark plug. Put the plug back in and started it up, only shifted 2nd/3rd. I think the shift tub is froze. So I got it home, in first gear, got it on the rack, removed all the plugs, half were finger tight and had gaskets on them? Weird.
I put a post in the suspension area about blown rear upper shock mounts, that is first on my list. Pulled the trans/flywheel, going to turn the ring gear around.
Plan to remove the motor and reseal it. Leaks bad.
Not sure what to do about the seats yet, I think they are original. Will need the fronts for sure, hope so save the rear. Probably time to remove the plastic wrap.
On the body style tag I do not find that trim 583 listed on the web sites.

It has had a repaint, unknown when. I will post pics.
Thanks for looking.

WagonCrazy
01-22-2024, 06:45 AM
What a great find! just do the basics to get it running and stopping and drive it a little before you dive into more upgrades. And check the date codes on the tires. If they are 10+ years old, you may consider new tires before you drive it too much.

Step56
01-22-2024, 07:20 AM
Thank you for the reply, WagonCrazy, and the good advice. My buddy towed it home from his father's place in Central CA in April of 22. He had me do a complete brake job on it, at that time, including new brake lines, wheel cylinders and a dual master, while he went and put new tires on it. I did a complete LOF on it and that is about all as it was running fine. It has pretty much sat in his shop the last year and a half, he would start it once in a while. Now that it is in my shop I am finding some things that need more attention. Like upper rear shock mounts, spark plugs finger tight, some with gaskets on them?, ring gear a bit chewed up, leaking pinion and a leaking rear main among other things.
So I need to finish rebuilding the hydrovac for his fire engine and get that out of my shop so I have room to work on my new ride.
I will update progress as I go along, I guess this is the correct thread to post updates? Please let me know if I am in the wrong spot,
Thanks again,
Steve

WagonCrazy
01-23-2024, 10:26 AM
you can put the updates in here if you want.
Or if you have topical questions to ask, then start a new thread in one of the other forum sections.