PDA

View Full Version : 57 instruments

57barnwagon
02-01-2024, 02:47 PM
who is using what type and brand and how do you like them?

WagonCrazy
02-01-2024, 03:12 PM
I have Classic Instruments gauges. They work fine. They came with all the parts included with the Nomad purchase when I bought it, so i used them. But after driving with them for a while, the gray background is dark, and my old eyes don't see them too well. The light bulbs are a bit dim as well, so even at night it's not that easy to read them.

The tach range is not real easy to see either.

I'll probably pull them and replace with Dakota Digital one day.

BamaNomad
02-01-2024, 06:48 PM
Paul, My '56 Nomad when purchased had similarly colored Classic Instruments gauges installed, and they are VERY difficult fo rmy old eyes to see/read. I think if a higher contrast choice (black letters on white background) it would be much better, but the letters and gauges themselves are very small regardless.

For my '57 Nomad I chose individual gauges (2-5/8" where possible) and they are black on white bg so much easier to read... :)

Gary

chevynut
02-01-2024, 09:33 PM
I personally think the Dakota Digital gauges are the best on the market at this time. They use state of the art technology and they look great. I have the VHX setup but there is a newer HDX model with more features, but it costs more.

I saw another company with similar gauges at SEMA last year, Intellitronix. I don't know much about them but they had a big booth there. At first glance they looked good and they're a little cheaper than DD. I wouldn't buy anything with analog gauges, I would go with modern stepper motors and sensors. I like their 55-56 gauges but not their '57.

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/1955-1956-chevy-bel-air-led-digital-ap1101

(https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/1955-1956-chevy-bel-air-led-digital-ap1101)

567chevys
02-02-2024, 10:35 AM
Here is the Kind I got for my 55 some day I might be able to show you what it looks Like Lite up
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=1134/category_id=420/mode=prod/prd1134.htm

Thanks Sid

57barnwagon
03-18-2024, 01:19 PM
I believe they are the RTX version

Madmike
03-18-2024, 06:36 PM
I have the 57 RTX gauges. Added the clock and the BIM since I have an LS style motor. Still need the DD gear selector, when in park the selector reads error. Gears read ok. Tech support said with all the different ecu's.....
Added the DD electric radiator fan controller. It's only money.
Got my grandson over to program it thru his android cell phone. My apple did not cut it.
Have not driven my 57 at night. I like the looks of the original 57 gauges with the analog needle.
There is an add on DD dimmer knob (more money) but the instructions say something about programing the dash lighting. Have to get grandson over again. What if he holds me hostage for the help and the ransom is he gets to borrow my 57?
Mike

WagonCrazy
03-19-2024, 11:42 AM
What if he holds me hostage for the help and the ransom is he gets to borrow my 57?

Let him drive it Mike. :p