PDA

View Full Version : How are speakers measured?

chevynut
05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
If I get a 6" round speaker, is that measured at the largest diameter of the speaker ring, , the size of the cone, or the size of the hole it fits in? Is there an advantage to an oblong speaker, like a 6x9?

What's a good size for a subwoofer? I'm not looking for a stereo system that will rattle the windows, just a nice solid bass.

56-210Sedan
05-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I looked this up for you so not so sure how accurate it is.

How are speakers measured? Speakers are usually shaped in circles or ovals. A 6.5" speaker is a circular speaker that has an outside diameter of six and a half inches. A 6" x 9" speaker is an oval shaped speaker that is six inches in one direction and nine inches in the other direction. Other common speaker sizes are 5.25", 6", 6.25", 6.5", 6.75", 4" x 6", 5" x 7", and 4" x 10".

Another important measurement is the speaker depth. Let's say your car has holes cut for 6.5" speakers, and you buy the best-priced speakers of that size. Then you try to install them and they won't fit because they are built too deep for the space behind the mounting holes. Avoid this problem by measuring the depth or by buying thin profile speakers.

chevynut
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Well that sounds too obvious, but they don't say where the measurement is taken. I just need to make sure I leave enough room for a 6" or 6x9 speaker, without leaving too much room. I think I can fit them within the space I have. Thanks Marty.

56-210Sedan
05-24-2012, 08:27 PM
on a personal note, in the 55 i have a Alpine deck that i ran the ipod cord into the glove box and this is of course were i keep the ipod, i have 2 6x9 Hertz speakers in the rear (Look them up) and two Kenwood tweeters installed in the original speaker grill, i still need to add my amp and sub which will hide back in my trunk and with the parts i have listed in use already i have what i consider a great sounding system, once i add the amp and sub it will be awesome JMO

56-210Sedan
05-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Most speakers will come with a template, maybe your local stereo shop will copy you a template of the speakers you would like to us, so you take it home and use it to see if it will fit your location you desire for speakers.

Run-em
05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Like the cat's tail?

56-210Sedan
05-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Like the cat's tail?

???????? what do you mean