Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Vin Missing First 1 or 2 Characters

Member #:726

Frame Vin Missing First 1 or 2 Characters

Greetings all. I bought a partial restoration a few months back knowing the vin tag on the A pillar had been lost. Per a post I saw here before I bought the car I knew the vin as stamped in the frame in 2 locations. I finally pulled the body today using an engine hoist and found the 2 locations the vin had been stamped in. My issue is both the vins start with 57B#######, there is no A,B,C,D preceding the build year, "V" marking is much less of a concern. I have had the 2 locations soaking in muriatic acid for over an hour and no extra character has appeared. Does anyone have an suggestion on what to do? Should I allow the locations to soak over night? What if the first/second characters were never stamped due to a factory error?

Thanks,
    Steve

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33

Lightbulb

i'm not sure you will find numbers in front of that 57 on the frame stamp. 57B means a 57 made in baltimore as you already know. saw on a show they sprinkled power on and took a magnifying glass to look at it after they dusted it off.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:226
    Think that powder is called magnaflux...lik checking engine parts for cracking.

Registered Member

Member #:328
    no letters in front of the 57 on the frame...that's the way they made em.

Member #:726
    Thanks guys, that makes my day knowing that. One last question, how is the car designated between the various models then, such as 150, 210, Bel Air, & sedan delivery?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Just to be sure, C57heaven is correct. The frame number begins with the year. No "V", or "A, B, or C".

Member #:39
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Ghost View Post
    Thanks guys, that makes my day knowing that. One last question, how is the car designated between the various models then, such as 150, 210, Bel Air, & sedan delivery?
    Hope this helps.

Member #:115
    I hope you can get by your DMV without a VIN tag. So many of the frames on these cars have been changed out that I'd be surprised if they allowed you to use that VIN in the first place. I assume you checked with them before you bought the car? Good luck!!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    CNut has a point here.
    Case in point: my nomad DOES have a VIN tag on the A pillar, and that will take precedent with our DMVs in California. But if it didn't have that or if for instance the car was stolen and the vin removed (once the car was recovered by law enforcement), they might shoot for plan B and check the VIN number on the frame.

My nomad has a different frame than what it was built with originally. The VIN # ain't gonna match. to keep a negative situation from happening, i'm going to smooth up the frame VIN before I paint the frame. If anything, I'll put the vin# from the A pillar on the frame before I paint it, in another location. probably illegal (technically)...

You really do need the VIN from the A pillar to get it registered, or your gonna have some work to do with your local DMV to convince them of what that car really is.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member Busted Knuckles's Avatar

Member #:1491
    my 56 has a vin tag up on the cowl on the passengers side also is this normal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast