Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air compressor choices

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by warren57 View Post
    As for tank, I disagree with some of the others, it has a lot to do with your system. When you compress 175# into a large tank and start using it at 100 lbs or less, It will run your tools longer before the compressor has to start. It also allows for longer run time when the compressor cycles and running is much easier than starting/stopping.
    That's true until the compressor starts running...at that point if you're using more air than the compressor can pump, it will run continuously. It's hard to get a reasonably priced compressor that won't run continuously when sandblasting, or even using a die grinder. Mine is an IR and it runs a lot. So the tank size is pretty much irrelevant when you're using a lot of CFM. But I agree that at 175PSI and a large tank you store more air. I'm not sure it's worth the consideration though.

Also a larger tank gives the compressed air better cooling to separate the water at the tank (dryer, cooler air) About the largest HP 220V single phase motor made is 7 HP, although 5 HP is much more common. Get the largest CFM and highest pressure you can with one of these motors.
    True on the cooling, but if it runs a lot even a larger tank is going to get hot. The air heats up when compressed, and it is transferred to the tank. It doesn't have to be very hot for the air to retain moisture.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    Well guys, I'm' gonna say here that I havent yet pulled the trigger to buy one and been using my 2 horse 20 gallon compressor for the time being. I've had a small amount to blast, so it takes time to fill up and the pressure is so low...but I got it to work long enough to clean up the C4 aluminum rear end parts before I reassembled them. But I definately need a bigger compressor to keep this up.

Everythings a grand in this hobby...

A grand for a custom made FI tank with internal pump-regulator
    A grand for coilovers all around
    A grand for all the stainless parts to plumb in the fuel and brake lines
    A grand for all the stainless to do the custom exhaust system
    A grand for this and for that...

To sink $1500 into a compressor that gets used now but not alot is making me go crazy. Funds are somewhat limited after all with 2 kids in college and one more on the way.

Seen alot of used ones on craigslist locally, but not sure about buying someone elses junk on this one...

So I'm glad I posted this and heard all your feedback. Just ain't gonna be able to spend the $ on it yet.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Isn't this hobby GRAND?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:755
    Now I'm laughing, I never looked at it that way, but yes it really is a $ GRAND $ hobby!!!
    But it sure is enjoyable, even on a low budget...

I think I just figured out my personalized license plates:
    57GRAND

How's that sound?

Registered Member

Member #:229
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    I think I just figured out my personalized license plates:
    57GRAND
    May need to swap the first two digits
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    That's true until the compressor starts running...at that point if you're using more air than the compressor can pump, it will run continuously. It's hard to get a reasonably priced compressor that won't run continuously when sandblasting, or even using a die grinder. Mine is an IR and it runs a lot. So the tank size is pretty much irrelevant when you're using a lot of CFM. But I agree that at 175PSI and a large tank you store more air. I'm not sure it's worth the consideration though.

True on the cooling, but if it runs a lot even a larger tank is going to get hot. The air heats up when compressed, and it is transferred to the tank. It doesn't have to be very hot for the air to retain moisture.
    I run a dryer to eliminate the condensation to my air tools. My tank has an auto dump to keep it to a minimum. With filters and proper line layout - no water. BTW, the compressoe is also a 30 CFM - quiet and will catch up quickly.

Nick, a 30CFM compressor should have no problem with just about anything. What brand and model is it?

I don't get moisture in my hoses either since I put a second tank on the opposite corner of my shop that the air dumps into before distribution lines. The air cools down between the compressor and the other tank, and the moisture drops into the other tank. It works well, and I don't need a separate refrigerated dryer.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:229
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I don't get moisture in my hoses either since I put a second tank on the opposite corner of my shop that the air dumps into before distribution lines.
    I need to do something like that. I did my plumbing like this: http://www.tptools.com/pl/Images,met...ping-Kits.html and bought the water separator/filter combo from them, but still get some moisture -- particularly if the compressor runs a good bit. I guess because it stays hot if it kicks on and off a lot.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Bakins View Post
    May need to swap the first two digits
    Yeah! No kidding. More like 99 grand by the time I get done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123