Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Buying tools online

Registered Member

Member #:229

Buying tools online

Other than big box stores, my choice of "tool stores" is slim to none. Well, shipping can be cheaper than the gas money... Homer Despot, Lows, etc, have a rather limited selection and tend to push their store brand. I buy some stuff from Amazon, but was wondering if you guys buy tools online and, if so, from where.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:115
    I've bought stuff from TP Tools, Tooltopia, and a few others. I have had no problems with any of them and got good prices.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Are you looking for hand tools, power tools, specialty tools?

There are many good sources out there, depends on what you're looking for. There's even some good buys at Harbor Freight, though not often.

Registered Member

Member #:229
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I've bought stuff from TP Tools,
    I've bought a couple of odds and ends from TP Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Are you looking for hand tools, power tools, specialty tools?
    Mostly the specialty stuff, but also things like air tools. I've bought stuff from Northern tool (I have one semi local, so if I'm ever up that way I stop in) but for "name brand" things, they seem to have higher prices. I've gotten burned by Harbor freight too many times - maybe I just have bad luck, but I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:39
    Most of my hand tools are Snap-on and MAC. Thats because the tool trucks came by every payday at the dealership. Go figure. I have some Craftsmans tools too. They use to make some good tools, but they've changed them so much I don't like them now. They made the sockets and boxed end wrenches so thick you can't get them in a tight place anymore. Another thing when I took some back for replacement they said they had been discontinued. I guess it was not my lifetime warranty, but theirs.

Clint
    Last edited by 5Clint7; 07-29-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Member #:755
    Well, in years past it was hard to beat Sears in quality and warranty (lifetime, no questions asked) although price wasn't always the cheapest. Now their tools are China like a lot of others. I believe they still have a lifetime warranty, but so does Harbor Freek (or is that horror freight) I noticed HF has two qualities of most items now. I'm guessing the inexpensive China village and the more expensive China city. I've had good luck with Stanley.
    It really all depends on budget.
    X3 on tp tools.