Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 56 Hood Bird Removal/ Hood Smoothing....??

Member #:226

Cool 56 Hood Bird Removal/ Hood Smoothing....??

Has anyone done this modification? How do you remove the raised ares for the bird?

Member #:40
    when i did mine, i just cut it out and used the piece as a template and welded in a flat piece. ive also seen people just hammer down the raised section. the middle part and peak is the hardest part of it all.
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If it's "hammered down" you'll have to do a fair amount of metal shrinking. You'll probably need to torch shrink, but maybe a shrinking tip on a stud welder would work.

On the peak, you need to stretch if you don't add metal. Perhaps a tossup there.

Either way, if add metal, you'll need to planish your welds and metal finish pretty close, this is not an area where a thick application of body filler stays there and looks good very long. Welding on a hood can warp it pretty easily, but this area is the safest as far as that.

Rick makes good points. I chose not to do the hammer method because of the shrinking required to make it look good. however, i mentioned it because i saw chip foose do it on overhaulin to a 56 nomad LOL. when i did mine, i made 3 pieces, two flat pieces for the wings, then the center peak and welded and shaped them to a smooth transition.

ive seen shaved birds on a bunch of 56 chevys, so it isnt impossible. take your time and im sure it will come out great.

good luck
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:436
    I did mine like MadMooks just take you'r time try to keep it as cool as you can the hood does warp easy.I kept a bucket of water and a rag to wet it sa I welded worked well for me.

Member #:115
    I'm not sure how I'd do it, because personally I like the bird and wouldn't remove it. I might remove it if the whole car had the "shaved" theme.

I had an old damaged hood that I took to the scrap yard and I should have kept it to practice on in case I wanted to do this for someone else.

As mentioned, the hood is a big, flat piece of metal and shrinking it wrong is going to cause oilcanning. I have found, however, that even a perfect 56 hood oilcans some. If you cut the piece out and replace it, you need to planish the welds to stretch the metal back out. I would think the hardest part would be creating the peak.
    Last edited by chevynut; 08-23-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    I'm with chevynut , I think they look the best with the plane on the hoods , But it's your car do what you thinks is best !

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I agree, I like the hood birds and rockets. I can also appreciate work that goes into removing/modifying those features that is done with excellence.

i think with or without the bird both look great, its not a deal breaker in my opinion. these cars have such great lines, a bird doesnt have too much affect on the overall look of the car.

if you had a junker hood, you could prolly cut out a section of the peak, and transplant it the peak you have to create that replaces the bird.

on 55 chevys, its easier to shave the bird since their hood bird doesnt really have a raised platform for the wings. all you need to do is create the peak.

hoodbird or not, you still got a 56 nomad, and its going to look great either way!
    Last edited by MadMooks; 08-24-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    www.madmooks.com