Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horsepower & Torque

Registered Member

Member #:1506
    Direct injection and high compression made it more tunable than any gas engines, other than BMW F1's, have ever been. It's like tuning diesels. I had an article about it making over 800 HP without any adders. They claim the block is 1500 + HP reliable should they decide to dual turbo Crank , Rods, Pistons and valve train would be all you need. One of the last Boyd Coddington roadsters had a 1,200 HP big block with two pro chargers and it was a street driven car. My 67 Firebird I built in 72 had 721 HP on the dyno and retimed with street jetting was 668 hp. It was sort of streetable but a big pain to drive with overheating, fan belts flying off and loading up in 5 blocks of slow driving. It amazes me how streetable big HP is now.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Well maybe so. Let's see, you have to add those Prochargers and turbos to get there. How about posting some links to those packages? I don't think they exist yet.

Were you smoking that weed all the way back in 72? And still do it? Even beer distorts your memory.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by mokicruz View Post
    Direct injection and high compression made it more tunable than any gas engines, other than BMW F1's, have ever been. It's like tuning diesels.
    No, it's not like tuning a diesel. A diesel doesn't depend on a stoichiometric fuel/air mixture. It has no throttle, and pulls as much air as it can on each stroke, even at idle. The more fuel you add, the more heat and power you get. It's a completely different thermodynamic cycle than a gas engine (diesel cycle vs otto cycle). And the new LT-1 Corvette engine is only 11.5:1 compression ratio...high, but nowhere near as high as a diesel. My Porsche Boxster S has 11:1 compression and the new ones are 12.5:1.

A normally aspirated gasoline engine, has a limit on how much air it can pull into it's cylinders. And then you have to add the right amount of fuel to get the correct mixture. Any more fuel and it doesn't produce any more power...it just wastes it. The only way you can make more power is to get more air into the engine, and add more fuel, keeping the mixture correct. That requires superchargers. There's no way with a 6.2L engine that you can just "Program in as much HP/Toque as you can afford".

I had an article about it making over 800 HP without any adders.
    I don't buy it. You can't get that much power with a stock new LT-1 6.2 liter normally-aspirated C7 Corvette engine. If they could, they would. Please post the article.

I'm betting the high-end Corvette is going to have a supercharged LS-7 instead of the LS-9 (a supercharged LS-3). They need to get it higher than the current 638 HP of the ZR-1 to generate any excitement. I think the LS-7 would put it over 700HP.

They claim the block is 1500 + HP reliable should they decide to dual turbo Crank , Rods, Pistons and valve train would be all you need.
    Yes, I believe the block is CAPABLE of that much horsepower. The LSX iron block is supposed to support up to 2000 HP. The only way to get that is with superchargers. Contrary to your statement, you can't just "tune it" to as high HP as you want.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Boyd Coddingtons Roadster had two pro chargers. I had a 461 cubic inch stroked 400 with Ram air 722 heads angle milled .040 with offset dowels moving the heads up .060. I used dads haugs to shape the intake and exhaust Bowels then smoothed the ports without enlarging them and installed Aluminum Bronze guides Dads engines had pistons made by Bob Toros and Mushroom lifter cams made by Dempsey Wilson I used what he ordered for me from the same people. Flat top pistons made about 12 to 1 compression on the dry decked blocks but I ran copper so it was a little lower. my cam only had .628 intake lift and .638 exhaust. I think the duration at .050 was 326 not sure on that May manifold was edelbrock for a 1050 cfm Dominator. headers were 2 1/8" x 32" total length tubes into a 4 inch collectors that we bent and fabbed in our shop. Crank was turned to 4.25" stroke then built up then turned and radiused for aluminum M/T pontiac rods that came out of Dads engines after they had ran on a freshen engines. Nope dad wouldn't let me smoke weed how about ? Did you like it? As for Twin turbos when I worked for Evert Hatch we Installed them on Chamberlain's IMSA Vette.
    Last edited by mokicruz; 10-16-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Registered Member

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-l...ch-280365.html

This is motortends article on it. I'll go find the The one on Scuderia forum they were arguing about street vettes being inferior to the Ferrari and Dodge viper.

Member #:1608
    I guess one of my questions is these motors with 11.5.1 compression and up take pump gas? Then if you do add boost how can they do that without running more octane? Do the computers adjust the timing and fuel? I know with ProChargers they recommend 9.1 and and for Roots style its 7.1.

Registered Member

Direct injected Gas engines Like Diesel engines can't pre detonate. Huffing huge amounts of Oxygen creating enormous compression ratios then injecting a lot of Hydrogen is the goal. If compression ratio's are High enough any fuel injected will detonate without spark plugs provided heads seal.. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...01603738_x.htm

Registered Member

Member #:3087
    I don't think it's quite that simple

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Here is a fine example of torque vs HP. In this case the nova has both lol. I believe it is the 620 hp 650 torque at 4200 version 572 gmpp crate engine with a 5 speed behind it. The 400 hp ls3 Camaro and my 350 hp ls1 cutlass was no match out of the hole. I punch mine in this vid trying to keep up with filming although all you will here is the roar of that 572 as he walks off and leaves us both. It was surprising when we played around at speed above 85 or so my Ls1 would hang with the nova. And the only saving grace I had is my cutlass is built for corners the nova is nose heavy. When we hit the winding back roads on the tour I walked off an left the nova lol...... Although I will never run anything other than an LS or new LT I do miss the bottom end torque of a big block. Put 4 real men in my cutlass and it is a gutless dog ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzlYekoZDY
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 08-03-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Member #:115
    Horsepower is simply the mathematical product of torque and RPM. Torque is the mathematical product of a force and a lever arm.

All else equal, the car that has the engine with the most torque across the whole RPM range is going to outrun the car with less torque, at any speed. Notice I said ALL ELSE EQUAL.

You can give any anecdotal "evidence" you want, but physics still rules.

Larger displacement engines generally produce more torque than smaller engines, as do supercharged engines. Torque is a function of piston area, pressure on top of the piston, and the length of the crank throw. Increase any of them and you increase torque. Larger displacement engines have larger diameter pistons and/or longer crank throws. Supercharged engines have better volumetric efficiency and therefore higher cylinder pressures at the same CR.

Torque is rotational force. If you increase torque, you increase the rate at which you can turn a driveshaft. That in turn increases the rate of acceleration of the car.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12