X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markm
    Registered Member
    • May 2012

Power steering issues

Has anyone ever seen shims between frame and steering box. I am in the middle of the PS conversion from Hell, the column shortening kit foom CPP is crap.
  • Rick_L
    Registered Member
    • Apr 2012

Yes but not on a 55-57. Not that they didn't have them because I think they did. They were on my 67 Nova, which has essentiallly the same setup you're trying to solve. With 3 places to put shims, seems there are lots of possibilities for getting it right.

Comment

• Maddog
      Registered Member
      • Aug 2012

I've used shims to get the box to line up with the columm on 55/57's

Comment

• markm
        Registered Member
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Maddog
        I've used shims to get the box to line up with the columm on 55/57's
        I am remembering now this car had shims with OEM box when we took bidy off frame 20 years ago, I had owned it almost 20 years at that time.

Comment

• chevynut
          Registered Member
          • Nov 2011

Since tolerances on these cars sucked so bad, they used shims and slotted holes in lots of places.
          56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
          56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
          57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
          1962 327/340HP Corvette
          1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
          2001 Porsche Boxster S
          2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
          2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Comment

• Maddog
            Registered Member
            • Aug 2012

if you look real close at the 3 mounting holes on the frame, they're not on the same plane. a very slight curvature is there on the side of the frame, almost demands shims. I noticed this years ago mounting a 605 with a flat steel plate. The orig gearbox has slightly raised mounting pads at each hole.

Comment

• markm
              Registered Member
              • May 2012

This job has really sucked, I am surprised more people cannot relate, It makes the switch from Th350 to 700R4 and 12 Bolt to 57 Olds 9.3 look like walks in the park

Comment

• Maddog
                Registered Member
                • Aug 2012

If you're talking about modifing a stock columm, not that bad if you got the right tube, shortened correctly which could be a crap shoot with CPP

Comment

• markm
                  Registered Member
                  • May 2012

I am attempting to use the kit CPP sells with the new column and shift tube, THe stock shift coller had to be filed to fit, it does not have a hole for alignment tang on lower mount, wires come out in wrong local,has holes you dont need, pretty much a piece of ill fitting crap.

Comment

• Maddog
                    Registered Member
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by markm
                    I am attempting to use the kit CPP sells with the new column and shift tube, THe stock shift coller had to be filed to fit, it does not have a hole for alignment tang on lower mount, wires come out in wrong local,has holes you dont need, pretty much a piece of ill fitting crap.

They probably sent a sample to China to copy and tried to make a fit all replacement. Typical CPP stuff.

Comment

• markm
                      Registered Member
                      • May 2012

The underhood stuff is done I even had to replace the fan,and modify the shroud. Reakky getting tired of this one, back on column install tonight.

Comment

• markm
                        Registered Member
                        • May 2012

I get my front end aligned tomorrow, it drives ok now but the 56 BA school bus steering wheel has got to go. Do you think a 59 Impala is small enuogh. Stodk Serria Gold Adobe Beige interior with padded dash, so it has to be somewhat era correct.

Comment

• Rick_L
                          Registered Member
                          • Apr 2012

I like the Impala wheel, but it's only 1" or 1-1/2" smaller than the stocker.

Comment

• Trifiver
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2012

I have trucks (K blazers), so this might not apply; on my '78 I swapped out the original 17" steering wheel for one a 69' 15" NK1 Camero wheel. If you're looking for a smaller wheel than that you might want to look at the 60's Vette wheels, they were 14 1/4 [ They didn't match to the '78 K column ]

Comment

• markm
                              Registered Member
                              • May 2012

Rick I am going to try an Impala wheel but I am afraid you are right.

Trifiver, my 72 pickup & Blazer have late 70s Camaro wheels, my 87 GMCs have early 90s truck wheels, both look and drive nice.

I will have to keep the Vette thing in mind.

Comment

Working...