Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Defroster duct removal/floors

Member #:495

Defroster duct removal/floors

Been removing original heater from my 55 for A/C install---How in the heck do you remove the 4 vent defroster assembly--I am not the type of person who likes to cut up original stuff--may have a use for it on down the road. Can't find anything on my manuals on removal--last piece to remove Did all 55's have the 4 vent type. Any help is appreciated. Also enclosing pics of my original floors. I know others are better, but other than a little surface rust from passenger side leak I can't seem to pinpoint they are not bad for as many years as it has been on the road. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Far as I know all 55s had the 4 outlet defroster vent assembly. They went to a 2 outlet assembly in 56. Your VA setup will have two. They have kind of a funky adapter so that their vents will bolt to either one of the short 55 openings or to a longer 56 opening. I thought about re-doing the adapter but haven't yet and may not.

As far as getting the defroster assembly out of there, mine came out just fine when I left it to be the last or next to last thing out. Don't remember any problems. Remove the heater box first and you should be ok.

Your floors look pretty good in the photos. I'd poke around on them with a pick hammer or something similar to make sure there isn't a thin spot.

Member #:115
    Your floors look amazingly solid. It looks like a little cleanup and you're good to go.

I have wondered why some defroster ducts had 4 openings so I looked in the assembly manuals. 55's apparentl had 4 openings, and 56's only had two. The assembly manual shows that there are screws from underneath holding the ducts to the dash.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

They are still solid--probably clean and use some extend with either rustoleum or POR15 and then sound deadener and back together

Got the defroster duct out--had to remove both braces. The new ones from Vintage Air have a lot to be desired. Pain in the butt to mount and pulls the screws away from the plastic. They are in place --will probably mount the unit next weekend with the help of my son. Hope everything else goes back into place. Just have a feeling.