Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Have questions about C4 Corvette suspensions for your Tri5? Ask them here!

Member #:3124
    Cheynut,

Thanks but that's Don's @ FOE Diffy setup down in Orange CA. He's behind on the website updates, I've already teased him too much about it.

Since we're on the rear suspension, there's a nagging item that's bugged me for many years, re the rear Toe-in assembly. And before I get into this, I did recently look over some other rear IRS toe in setups, and their definitely shorter rods

My question is

Why aren't the inner Toe-in Pivots in line with the inner camber Pivots ??

Guess I'll need to check the Toe-in change when the rear spindles are moved from min to max....

Michael...

Member #:3124
    chevynut,

Forgot,

re the rotated Vette Rack, Turn One has the hyd lines all made up and will install on rebuilds, I thing they sell them OTC

turnone-steering.com

Michael...

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangoer View Post
    My question is Why aren't the inner Toe-in Pivots in line with the inner camber Pivots ??
    I can't answer that because I haven't studied the rear suspension that thoroughly. I'm sure it has to do with getting the right amount of toe change, or NO toe change with suspension travel. The halfshafts, camber rods, and toe rods all work together.

I do know that the camber arm brackets for the late suspensions are different than on the early suspensions. In '88 they moved the inner pivots down to change the suspension geometry (lowers the roll center and decreases negative camber gain), and the late brackets could be used on an early suspension to make that same change.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

Nick, yours looks awesome too! Did Calvin use a BBC in that chassis? My SBC and LS engine dampers sit right smack over the top of that fitting and line. I thought Newman rotated the rack cylinder but I got to looking at his stuff recently and I noticed that one of the fittings is on top and the other was somehow moved to the bottom. I wonder how he did that.

BTW, I designed a rear toe bracket almost identical to yours and I don't remember seeing it before I designed it...great minds think alike, huh? I got one prototype from my laser guy to test.

Did you build the rear steer assembly from scratch? Mine will have to be narrowed so I can't really buy a kit. I'll have to get or make some shorter rods.
    I had a Newman unit that I found on Ebay some time back. I drew it all up and made a dozen bracket pieces. It uses 1" DOM tube TIG welded together. I still have his casting piece. Calvin's 57 Nomad uses the stock cradle and the unit pictured is in a 57 2 door HT. Both are LS.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Just observing the stock set-up where the toe rods are very near the same plane as the axels, it would seem as you move them lower towards the camber rods you would see a bigger toe change through travel. Even more pronounced if the rear is narrowed. Modifying the frame, or raising the rear ride height would make it a non-issue, unless toe change is a good thing.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-17-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    it would seem as you move them lower towards the camber rods you would see a bigger toe change through travel. Even more pronounced if the rear is narrowed.
    Keep in mind that the outboard end is also lowered as the inboard end is lowered. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the amount the inboard and outboard ends are moved on Newman's chassis. I think you'd have to lay it all out on paper or in CAD to see exactly what it does. Newman built hundreds of them and I've never read about any toe issues with his or other designs. Why don't you explain what the toe does with the stock setup? I don't see how you can simply say that narrowing a rearend makes it more pronounced without doing the analysis. It may actually make the geometry "better". Street Shop narrows the C4 rears up to 6".

Modifying the frame, or raising the rear ride height would make it a non-issue, unless toe change is a good thing.
    Making c-notches in the frame to clear the toe rods weakens a frame that's already weak in the rear behind the humps. I built one frame where we extended the hump to allow the use of the stock toe rods, but he has to cut the trunk out to accommodate the modification. Raising the ride height negates much of the benefit of the C4 conversion by raising the CG, gives the car too much rake imo, and most guys looking for a performance chassis want the rear of the car as low as they can get it with at least 2-3" drop. A dropped toe adjuster, if properly designed, addresses all the issues.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Here's an early C4 rearend drawing. Notice that the toe rod is horizontal and virtually parallel with the halfshaft, and above the halfshaft centerline. If the toe rod is lowered below the knuckle arm and the lower bolts are used as the inner pivot as Newman's kit does, it still sits essentially parallel with the halfshaft but sits on virtually the same centerline instead of above it. The inboard and outboard pivots are essentially just lowered and the angle doesn't change.

Also notice that the halfshaft is almost level, just barely lower at the outboard end. The strut rod points down and is about the same length as the halfshaft. As the suspension is compressed, it gains negative camber and the knuckle pivots around the outer u-joint. I'm not sure what the toe does, but since the stock toe rod is attached above the knuckle arm and longer than the halfshaft, I would think it would cause a slight toe in as the suspension compresses.

With the toe rod lowered along the halfshaft centerline, it looks to me like there would be little or no toe change as the suspension is compressed. I don't see how shortening the halfshaft and toe rod affects any of that.

What narrowing of the rearend does is steepen the angle of the lower strut rod, thereby shortening the distance to the instant center of the halfshaft and the strut rod. To correct that, all one would have to do is lower the inboard pivot point of the strut rod slightly as was done with the 88 and later suspensions. A narrowed late suspension probably still has the instant center further out than an early suspension, but I'd have to lay it out to confirm it. I already had some custom inner strut rod brackets cut.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Here's an early C4 rear...note the inner strut rod brackets:

And here's a late C4 rear...the inner strut rod pivot is noticeably lower:

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    What size wheels and or tires and what wheel offset works with the C4 setup in a trifive?

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    What size wheels and or tires and what wheel offset works with the C4 setup in a trifive?
    Front or rear? Early or late C4?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast