Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Nickel Build - Modern Pro Street 55 Chev 2 Door Post

Registered Member

Member #:548
    Just putting the final details in to get the car ready for the street as Spring Thaw is just around the corner. Last night I bled the brakes one last time, set the ride height and front/rear suspension, and put the Centerline Convo Pro wheels on it along with the Mickey Thompson tires. A few more details to tweak and this puppy is ready for the summer cruising.

Registered Member

Member #:133
    Looks like I got my old profile back in order. Had some issues logging in a few weeks ago but that has all been resolved now, and I will continue on with this username.

Registered Member

OK...I'm back after being locked out for a week since I'm from a foreign country on the other side of the lower 48. Laszlo sent me a funny email telling me to hang tight while my IP was being sorted out...and just had to share this as it was the funniest thing I've ever seen him type.

Wow, that's bizarre. Hang in there because we don't want to lose you...on the other hand where else can you go? LOL!!!

I'm sure your problem is related to some IP address exception.
    Q: Where else can I go?

A: lmfao nowhere cause they all banned me (pissed myself on that one)

Member #:530
    That's an impressive build there Double Nickel. Make sure and put some video up of one of your high speed passes! Would love to see what that shoebox can do.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3
    Hi Double Nickle
    (OK...I'm back after being locked out for a week since I'm from a foreign country on the other side of the lower 48) That was done as part of the spam protection in the new program . I think Doug has fixed that !
    Now I feel the same way as you !!!

Vote for it as Canada's Best in the Meguiar's contest that it was nominated for and help send it to SEMA in 2012 as part of Meguiar's booth. Voting opens May 1st through June 23rd and you can vote for it visiting this link
    The link will only work for those in Canada . Can you find out how we (USA) can vote ?
    Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    That's an impressive build there Double Nickel. Make sure and put some video up of one of your high speed passes! Would love to see what that shoebox can do.
    Haven't done any high speed passes yet, but have gotten out for a couple cruises with one caught on video. Click here to see the video.

Car is finished now with just a few little things left to dial in Just getting around to booking a few shows now and will take it to Goodguys Colorado Nationals and Northwest Nationals this summer. May also do hot August Nights so watch for it at these events if your in the region.

Registered Member

OK...so after tossing some ideas around for the past 6-8 weeks, I finally settled on a conversion over to a pro tour build on my car. Brakes, suspension and wheels are already upgraded to suit this style of car so the natural thing was to ditch the blower, put a manual transmission in behind the big block, and install a new cam with a single plane intake atop the 565ci big block. John Partridge at Bullet Cams has since ground a new bump-stick for me and last week I picked up a Tremec T-56 Magnum 6-Speed transmission, Quick Time Bell Housing and a McLeod Hydraulic Twin Disk Clutch for the car. Earle Williams is setting up a new set of pedals for me in a new carrier, and Clay at Clayton Machine is setting me up with some cool new pedal pads to dress it all up.

Today I pulled the front clip off the car and removed the blower from the engine. Next will be to pull the engine and trans so I can fit the new 6-speed into the tunnel, then I'll mount the hydraulic clutch, change some wiring around inside the car and get the console converted for a stick shift. The new cam will then go in to help this 8.8:1 big block build some cylinder pressure while it's topped with a new Dart intake and Chuck Nuytten 1250 Dominator carb. Should still make an easy 650hp and be pump friendly at the same time. One things for sure, it'll be a lot of fun with the torque of a big block and a 6-speed behind it. Here's a couple pics as I tear the front end back down and test fit the new intake and carb. More pics as the conversion rolls along.

Blower and TH400 trans will be sold off and I'm hoping to have it back on the road before summer is over.

Member #:115
    Why not go with EFI and truly modernize it?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Ditto, why not?

Registered Member

Bah...

I still like carbs on a big inch motor! Besides, why do you think GM went away from EFI on their 572 engines? This Dominator is 1250cfm and was ported, polished and worked over with a stage III build by Chuck Nuytten who's legendary in the carburetor world. It was built for a 572 that mirrors my engine build and the price was killer as a friend sold it to me at half his cost to build it. The Holley EFI was pretty tempting but at 3K to 4K for my requirements, that was too much just for the fact of having EFI! Maybe if I was running a 4L80E or something along those lines it would be better having the ECU, but not for a door car running big cubic inch with a stick. IMHO

This combo will be killer in this setup, and I'm still thinking of plumbing some Nitrous under the intake in case it's ever needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast