Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Nickel Build - Modern Pro Street 55 Chev 2 Door Post

Registered Member

Member #:133

Double Nickel Build - Modern Pro Street 55 Chev 2 Door Post

Where to start with a build update that's a bit overdue?

For those who know the car and the build, it's progressed into an over the top hot rod build that's taken on quite a few one off custom twists as of late. Currently, we're manufacturing custom stainless exhaust using lightweight 321 grade stainless steel, some custom touches like a one off transmission mount, S/S drive shaft loop, carbon fiber drive shaft, custom built headers, coolant lines, and a custom interior. Pictures will be updated below, and video's are soon to follow as updates are numerous.

For those who are seeing this build for the first time, I bought the car as a rust free sedan that was restored once with a frame off back in 1987 by a previous owner. A dozen or so years ago, it was hopped up with a GM 430hp crate motor, TH400 trans, high stall converter and a 9" posi rear end. I bought it in 2010 because of an all original sheet metal body that was primarily rust free, and then decided after a few short months that it needed more power (or should I say way more power). Tear down commenced just over a year ago and since then it's received a complete frame off restoration, a full race drive line, modern brakes and suspension, strengthened chassis, roll cage, a custom paint job using House of Kolor 3 stage, and a ton of really cool little modifications that add a tasteful finish to this track ready hot rod. Here's an overview of the base car, what's been done to it, and whats left to complete before it debuts in a couple of months from now. Pictures are posted below with a link to over 225 shots of the project.

Complete body tear down - Dec 10 to Jan 11
    Frame modifications with Williams 4 Link - Jan 11 to Feb 11
    Sheet metal prep w/ Williams mini tubs and firewall kits - Feb 11 to Mar 11
    Roll cage install with AME 8 point kit- Mar 11
    Rotisserie body restoration - Apr 11 to May 11
    Chassis restoration with modern suspension - April 11 to May 11
    House of Kolor 3 stage paint job - June 11 to Jul 11
    Home for build process and Blown BBC driveline install - July 11 to Aug 11
    Wilwood 12" disk brake install (4 corners) - Sept 11
    Rewire with all new electrical & accessories - Aug 11 to Oct 11
    New glass install with power windows/locks - Sept 11 to Oct 11
    BelAir stainless restoration and install October 11 - Nov 11
    Rad support and blower clearance mods - Oct 11 to Nov 11
    Complete 321 custom stainless exhaust system - Dec 11 to Jan 12
    Complete custom interior design and install - Dec 11 to Jan 12
    Stainless hard fuel and trans lines Dec 11 to Jan 12
    Debut of car at upcoming World of Wheels - Feb 12
    Numerous appearances throughout US & Canada 2012

Cudo's to Earle at Williams Classic Chassis Works who's been involved with this build since it began. He supplied me with many of the parts to complete this project including the sheet metal mods, suspension, brakes, steering, rear end and all of the mounts to get this big block fitting nicely. He's a patient man with excellent customer service and Earle's been great to work with from the start.

The car is nearing completion and should be 100% over the next 4-6 weeks. It's currently out for installation of a custom stainless exhaust system and I will soon plumb the fuel lines in matching stainless steel before firing this monster up for the first time. The car is finished in Black and Silver HOK paint with a blown 565 cubic inch big block, TH400 trans with 3500 converter, and a Currie 9" rear with Earles 4 Link and a set of his Mini Tubs. The wheels are a custom forged design from Boze, and the car is loaded up with power electric brakes, HID/LED lighting, power windows, locks, trunk, remote hidden filler neck, a one off custom interior and a 1200 watt Alpine audio system.

It should run high 9's to low 10's in the quarter, and will make the rounds in 2012 as a street driven & bracket raced show car. Hope you enjoy the pictures. It's been a lot of work getting this all done inside 12-14 months, but the fun is now about to start all over again as I now get to enjoy this monster build.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/...ickel%20Build/

Member #:3

Re: Double Nickel Build - Modern Pro Street 55 Chev 2 Door P

Welcome to the site , glad to see you on here , Very nice project !!!!

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:230

By reading what you have done your build sounds awesome, wish i was that far could not get your photo bucket link to work for me.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Member #:115

Marty, Graeme is traveling and showing the car now. I think he's at a show in Winnipeg this weekend, then at another show in Omaha next weekend. He told me he may stop by here on his way from Nebraska to Spokane after that. He's taking the car to the Auto Boat and Speed Show in Spokane, so you could see it in person.

Here's another link...

http://www.fiftyfivechev.com/
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653

Very nice build.

Registered Member

Member #:548
    Hello Laszlo,

I'm having some issues logging in here with my old ID so I started another one for the time being. I did go to Winnipeg and the car did very well earning 6 awards including Outstanding Display, Paint, Detail, Engine, Best in Class and Outstanding Street Machine. We then went onto Omaha where it earned 4 more awards but headed North to I-90 when we left to avoid 70mph winds through Wyoming or I would have stopped into see you bud. I ended up skipping Spokane because of some business dealings that needed my attention so the car is now done with the indoor show circuit until later in the year where I may freshen it and pick up a few more shows with it. For now, the focus will be cruising in it and hitting some local and regional shows throughout the summer.

Car was dyno'd while in Winnipeg and made close to 700hp at the rear wheels. Now if this snow would stop falling around here, I'd be able to get out and play with it.

Graeme

Glad to hear you're back to reality, Graeme. Sure would have liked to meet you but I understand the schedule. That was a lot of driving.

My daughter who lives in Calgary is moving to Burlington, Vermont this summer. She got a job teaching at the university there. So I'm not sure when I'll ever make it back up to Calgary, but if I do I'll let you know. I love the Banff area and the BC side of the Rockies, and might come up again just to hike and sightsee. We had a great time over in BC last summer.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Meet you in the middle this summer perhaps? Looking at doing Cool August nights in Deadwood, or the Goodguy's show in Spokane which draws hundreds and hundreds of Trifives. Just planning my summer out now for cruises and show and shines but I'm sure we'll hook up somewhere.

G.

It depends on the timing. Once I hit the middle of August, my hunting seasons start. I usually apply in 7 states for around 35 big game licenses. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to Montana in mid September for a 2-week elk/deer bowhunt with my brother...same as last year. I should draw my tag, since they raised the price last year and had leftovers....and they raised the price again this year.

Then I usually draw an antelope tag in Wyoming, and I bowhunt my friends 17,000 acre ranch up there starting mid-August. I usually go up a couple weeks before and set up blinds.

Plus I have a good chance of drawing New Mexico elk again, if I'm lucky. lol! That will take up the rest of September. If I draw anything else, it will be a big tag and my plans will have to change. I apply in UT, MT, NV, CO, WY, NM, KS, and AZ for sheep, goat, moose, bison, elk, deer, and antelope, where applicable. Some of the licenses have less than 1/2% chance of drawing and some are once-in-a-lifetime.

When is the Cool August Nights? That sounds.....cool. And I'd love to go up there since it's not too far.

Goodguys Colorado is June 8, 9, 10 and I plan to go to that. When is Spokane? My brother is only a couple hours from there, so maybe I'd fly up to see him and go over there. It would be nice to see different cars.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Kool Deadwood Nights is August 23rd to 26th along I-90 near Sturgis and throughout Deadwood

Goodguys 11th Great Northwest Nationals is the prior weekend August 17th to 19th in Spokane and is a really good show with tons of Pacific Northwest TriFives

Might even do both, but gotta check some local show scheduling before committing to these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast