Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Trunk weatherstrip

Registered Member

Member #:1525

Trunk weatherstrip

Help ! Snap in type and I are not getting along. Can I glue this on or is there a peel and stick type that wii hold up ?

Registered Member

Member #:241
    A lot of people remove the plastic pins and glue the weatherstrip on.

Registered Member

Member #:964
    I have 2 NOS sets of trunk weatherstrip and there are no pins.

I've heard that you can use a type of weatherstrip that slides over the edge of the trunk opening.
    John

56 210
    66 Chevelle

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You should always use weatherstrip adhesive, even if it has the pins. That goes for door seals as well as trunk seals. The pins just give you a way to align the seal and help hold it in place while the adhesive dries. A few pieces of tape won't hurt either. Using the pins forces you to install it correctly, so I wouldn't remove them.

One note, you can use a 57 trunk lid seal to your advantage on a 55 or 56. That's because the 57 seal is hollow, while the 55-56 seal has a solid cross section. Often when using the 55-56 seal, the trunk lid is difficult to shut for quite some time after installing a new seal. The hollow 57 seal lets it work correctly right away. You'll have to pull the pins, easy to do. Don't drill the holes.

Member #:115
    I put new door weatherstrips on my Nomad many years ago using only the pins, and they worked great. They sat close to the metal, and I never had any issues with it coming off or anything like that. That said, I never drove the car either.

I can't see how adhesive could hurt, but I'm pretty sure the GM factory didn't use it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've never heard of (successfully) not using adhesive on door or trunk weatherstrips.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have never got around to installing the door seals on my 55 2dr sedan. Given the weather I drive it, dont think I ever will install them. Doors shut nice without them.