Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: cpp disc brakes

Registered Member

Member #:1531

cpp disc brakes

I have replaced the drums on my 57 with a complete power disc brake kit from CPP. Front disc are 1978 to 83 Malibu and rear are 1980 to 85 Cadillac Seville. I could never get a good pedal no matter how much I bled the brakes and I took it to two different shops with no success. Thought the brake booster might be the problem because of the high lift "Thumper" camshaft so I installed a vacuum pump (which vibrated the entire car) and a vacuum tank before finally figuring out the Seville brakes on the rear were not adjusted properly. I eventually removed the brake booster and all of the other vacuum related equipment and went to a straight master cylinder braking system. The brakes still suck. Very dissatisfied with this setup. Anybody have similar experience and will replacing the disc pads with something other than what was supplied with the kit help the situation? I paid $1600 for the kit and am reluctant to chunk for a set of Willwoods (which in hindsight I should have purchased to begin with)

Member #:115
    What exactly is the problem? You say you can't get a "good pedal". What does that mean? Is the pedal going down to far, is the stopping pedal force too high, or what?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    "rear are 1980 to 85 Cadillac Seville."

Most likely your rear calipers are not adjusted properly. This causes your long travel and your rear brakes may not even be working.

There is a ratcheting mechanism operated by the parking brake lever that adjusts the pad out toward the rotor when the parking brake is used. It won't work unless the initial adjustment is close enough to make the pad contact the rotor when the parking brake is engaged. So you may need to pull the calipers and rotate the pistons with a pin spanner wrench to get it a snug starting point. Once you get that, you need the parking brake to be connected up and you need to diligently use it whenever you park the vehicle.

Even if you have the initial adjustment snug, if you don't have the parking brake connected and/or don't use it, the adjustment will go away as the pads wear. This will lead to the mechanism freezing up due to brake pad debris or corrosion. If you can't adjust the pistons with a pin spanner, the adjuster may be locked up and you may need to get a rebuilt caliper.

Good luck.

Member #:1535
    Rick is right on the money , here is some thing to try . I had a 79 Trans Am with the same rear brakes ,tried adjusting and everything else to get the petal up . Put in a new set of pads and the petal would go back to normal . I don't know how old your pads are but if they are worn try new ones , I think the internal adjusters stop working on these type calipers , if your pads are new this won't help . Don