Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Complete Wiring Harness??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I guess that "wiring from scratch" means different things to different people, but I can't see that. Some kind of pre-terminated fuse panel seems like a minimum starting place. Is that what "from scratch" means or do you start with a fuse panel with no wires?

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Fivefamily View Post
    Thanks All! I went with the AAW, it arrived last week and it looks very user friendly.
    That is what I have. You will be happy

Member #:755
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I guess that "wiring from scratch" means different things to different people, but I can't see that. Some kind of pre-terminated fuse panel seems like a minimum starting place. Is that what "from scratch" means or do you start with a fuse panel with no wires?
    Can't speak for other projects, but mine had most everything missing, so there was no wiring to follow or routing, nothing. So for my project, start from scratch would likely have been a junk yard fuse box with the wires cut about 12" long. Mounting the panel, identifying what each wire did, using the wires/options wanted and running all new wires, connectors and switches....
    I find it strange you understood ChevyNuts interpretation of "from scratch" without additional explanation...
    Last edited by warren57; 06-25-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I used a modular fuse block and built my own fuse panel. I couldn't find anything else that would work the way I wanted it to. I have to install my own contacts and all my own wires, but it's not difficult to do.

I'm using the same block as these harnesses from Kwikwire. You can stack them to as large of a block as you want it to be.

http://www.kwikwire.com/wireharnesses.html

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:615
    I once had a '41 Chevy pickup. A previous owner had wired it from scratch. He got a fuse box and wire and put it all together. Everything seemed to have the correct gauge wire, it all worked just fine, it was neatly routed and secured and and I never had any problems.

Oh yea, every single wire in the truck was white. I don't know where the guy got the wire but it was all the same color. It was a challenge to trace the wiring if you wanted to change anything.

Member #:755
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I once had a '41 Chevy pickup. A previous owner had wired it from scratch. He got a fuse box and wire and put it all together. Everything seemed to have the correct gauge wire, it all worked just fine, it was neatly routed and secured and and I never had any problems.

Oh yea, every single wire in the truck was white. I don't know where the guy got the wire but it was all the same color. It was a challenge to trace the wiring if you wanted to change anything.
    You just made me laugh, my brother worker for Carrier for years. He was an electrical controls wizard. I sent him on every complete rewire A/C job that came up. It always worked perfectly when he was done, but all he ever used was black wire.(and never labeled or tagged anything) Felt sorry for future service men that had to trace every wire to figure out what he did. If you would have said it was all black wire, I would have bet it was one of his old trucks!!!

Registered Member

One of the companies I used to work for built offshore cables. 260 pin connectors, every conductor had black insulation. Not much choice to color code that many conductors. Fortunately more modern technology doesn't require so many separate conductors. A car would be a breeze comparatively. (There were ways of tracing that stuff though.)

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    I've seen a lot of remarks regarding AAW both pro and con and a few short referrals to Painless and others. I'm looking to install 97 vortec 350 with a 4L60E trans and likely a holley or edelbrock FI system and want to plan on wiring accordingly. Noone seems to complain about the service nor labeling and color coding of the Painless system. I will plan on as many circuits as possible for electric windows and locks etc. What is the feedback on the Painless product and my plan?
    Last edited by 57barnwagon; 08-23-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Member #:3249
    All I'm going to say is it wouldn't be my choice. I'm so sold on AAW after trying others, I know my choice. And their customer support is awesome. Good luck.

Registered Member

Here's my take on the wiring harnesses.

AAW includes more components and more terminated conductors. It's best for a nearly stock car.

You'll have to terminate more stuff with the Painless or similar harnesses. That type may make more sense if you move the fuse block to a new location or have a lot of custom stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast