Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55-59 frame differences

Registered Member

Member #:1588

55-59 frame differences

I have a '55 truck with a '58 frame. I am aware that the frame is longer in front, but are there any other differences? I was assembling the front end sheet metal today and could not mount the lower grill bar because it interfered with the frame mounts for the radiator support. Are the frame support mounts different?

Also, exactly how much of the frame do I need to cut off the front?

Thanks,
    Chris

Member #:524
    Hello,

The frames are basically the same. I have a 59 frame with a 55 front clip installed on my build. I had no issues with the radiator mounts, my 55 clip bolted up just fine. I cut off about 3 inches from the front of the frame but I don't remember the exact measurements. I could get the measurements for you because I still have the pieces I cut off. The easy way to do would be to mount that front clip perfectly and mark were the bottom grill support meets the frame and cut it off even. Thats what I did.

Radiator mounts?

Here is what mine looks like. There are two different kind but that did not seem to make a different for my sheetmetal.

I'm not on this site anymore but someone told me about your questions knowing that I did the same on my truck so I thought I would stop by and help out. Plus I think Sid is good people.

I will get those measurements to you when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by BAM55; 03-11-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
    Hello,

The frames are basically the same. I have a 59 frame with a 55 front clip installed on my build. I had no issues with the radiator mounts, my 55 clip bolted up just fine. I cut off about 3 inches from the front of the frame but I don't remember the exact measure. I could get the measurements for you because I still have the pieces I cut off. The easy way to do would be to mount that front clip perfectly and mark were the bottom grill support meets the grill and cut it off even. Thats what I did.

Radiator mounts?

Here is what mine looks like. There are two different kind but that did not seem to make a different for my sheetmetal.

I'm not on this site anymore but someone told me about your questions knowing that I did the same on my truck so I thought I would stop by and help out. Plus I think Sid is good people.

I will get those measurements to you when I get home tonight.

Good man. You're probably the only one that could answer this question.

Maddog,

Whats up? I hope everything is well with you.

55ChevyPup,

I forgot to ask you something. Has your cab been off the frame? If so, have you added shim? You may also need to shim the fenders. I had to add a shims to my front cab mounts to get the fenders to meet the rocker panel there was a gap before I shimmed. Just a thought.
    Last edited by BAM55; 03-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Okay I got that measurement for you. I cut 2 3/4 off the front of the my 59 frame. Like I said earlier I would not cut it until I have mounted the 55-57 front end and made sure it fit nicely, than I would mark the frame even with the lower grill support and whack it off.

Good luck man I hope it all works out for you.

Registered Member

Wow. Thanks for the info! I've been using your project thread on the other site as a go-by for all the work needed on my truck. For some reason I couldn't pull up the site the other day so I just used this one.

My frame looks identical to yours so I'm not sure why I having trouble. My plan is to line up all the sheet metal (including the bed) and leave the radiator mount unbolted. Then I'll remove the mounts from the frame and put them where I need them to be and weld them in.

I don't know a lot about all the different options available on these trucks. It looks like the radiator support could be mounted in two different locations. Why is that?
    55 Truck Support Mount.jpg 55 Truck Rad Mount.jpg
    Chris

No problem man. I believe the difference in the mounting location is 6 cylinders vs 8 cylinders.

Member #:3
    Thanks Bam for helping him out !!

Post some pictures of that bad to the bone truck please ?

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

No problem Sid, If I can be of help, I will help. That's what its all about my buddy.

Registered Member

Thanks for all the help fellas. I stumbled upon this post. Someone had the same issue I did. Looks like this mount can end up in several locations depending on engine type and year of frame. Just an FYI.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=588095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast