Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LS1 motor mounts and transmission cross member

Registered Member

Member #:2520
    Rick, you and chevynut have so much knowledge and I applaud you guys for always taking the time to help us less experienced guys.

Registered Member

Member #:2294
    On Cnut's advice I purchased engine mounts from Street and Performance. I thought these mounts located the engine perfectly with just enough clearance to the firewall. You'll need the LS adapter plates to mate the upper engine brackets to the LS engine as I believe the engine brackets were originally designed for the SBC. I followed the installation sheet included with the mounts and located the lower brackets to the frame by drilling holes and bolting them in place. The instructions stated to locate the mount holes 19" apart. However, the brackets mounted to the engine located the mount holes more like 20" apart with the LS adapter plates. I opened the holes in the upper engine brackets up to slots to fit and center everything. My plan is to weld on a plate over the slot with the hole in the correct position.
    I purchased the Holley LS conversion oil pan and it looks really good. With these mounts I have good oil pan clearance to the K member, has good ground clearance (just a hair higher than the K member) and has just enough clearance for the standard steering linkage.
    Cnut is correct on S&P's catalog, it is terrible. I have had several phone calls with them and they are pretty good on the phone. However, I have sent just about everything I have ordered from them back as there were problems. The machining on their own LS conversion oil pan was terrible, the harness I ordered didn't have all the wiring for the cruise control, the list goes on...........I won't order anything from S&P again. They still haven't got my credits correct after months and many calls.
    Good luck, I can put up more photos if needed..............Mike W.
    011.jpg008.jpg

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Mike, I had similar experience with S&P it took them almost 3 months to credit me for the oil pan core. This was 8 years ago when I did my first ls1 swap. The modified oil pan is indeed ugly but it has served me well. Back then the holley pan did not exist and S&P was one of only a few options. It was sad to hear that their founder has passed. They pretty much pioneered the LS swap craze so for that I am thankful. I would guess based on their web site that their business transactions are no where near paperless yet. That might help explain slow refunds. I would do business with them again they made every thing right in the end. But I agree it can be trying.

Rocky

Member #:1653
    I was up at S&P last week, quite a somber place. If you have never been there, one can't imagine the massive amounts of product they produce. Their system is a bit behind times and (nothing wrong with it) but they use paper rather than the system a lot. Prior to Marks passing, he suffered for quite a while with cancer and taking the brains outa the place has its effect in a negative way.

I really like him. May he rest in our Lords Peace.

Registered Member

Member #:2294
    Sorry to hear about Mark, I spoke with him many times on my LS swap and he's why I decided to do business with them in the beginning. I agree, he was a really good guy and an wealth of information.

May he rest in peace in hot rod heaven.

Registered Member Indianadroptop's Avatar

Member #:2546
    I have the speedway motor mounts on their way along with the Holley pan. I should be able to mock up in a few weeks
    57 vert frame off
    55 Belair HT frame off

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    I'm looking to use this kit from CPP. It has Hooker's long tube headers, adjustable motor mounts and a Mast oil pan. Anyone here have experience this kit?

Member #:530
    My 2 cents...

Those headers look like the Hooker 2293's. The driver side has a big hole between the #1 and #3 tubes. That is for use with a Unisteer rack and pinion steering setup.

if you don't have that Unisteer setup, or don't want that style of header, ask them if they can supply it with Hooker 2292 headers instead. Those don't have the #1 and #3 tubes squeezed apart...they look like the ones on the passenger side shown in the pic.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Here's the 2292s:

Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12